November 26, 2014, 11:38:01 AM

Author Topic: A Few EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]  (Read 25601 times)

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: A Few EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2014, 03:53:54 AM »
Yes it is a problem on the 7d/bg-e7. Luckily there is a really simple solution: just put a second joystick af-selector on the grip. See 5d3 battery grip bg-e11. :-)

A quick backpedal to the vertical grip thing...this is an excerpt from a post I made on another thread regarding that...

I have the 7D battery grip. It is essentially useless to me when shooting wildlife, because I need to select different focus points with the thumb joystick on-the-fly as I am shooting moving subjects. The 7D battery grip obviously does not have the thumb joystick, nor can you reach the built-in body joystick when gripping the battery grip vertically. I rarely shoot vertical wildlife shots simply because I cannot select focus points and control everything easily in vertical format with the subject is moving. If the 7Dmk2 has the pro body with integrated grip similar to the 1D-x with the thumb joystick and everything, I would be thrilled.

If the 7D2 does not have a vertical grip built in, it is highly unlikely that I will purchase an add-on grip, considering it would be the same story as my 7D grip described above. This would be a major disappointment for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2014, 03:53:54 AM »

Maxaperture

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • My two penneth worth
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2014, 06:00:14 AM »
Hope it turns out to be a 1D MkV, and nothing to do with the 7D.
Another 1.3 crop sensor, as was the 1D MkIV,,,,,, or 1.6 crop18Mp sensor would be awesome.

5DIII  -  500mm f/4 IS  -  70-200mkII -  Tammy 24-70 2.8 VC  -  Siggy 150mm 2.8 OS macro and the stunning 2x MkIII TC

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2014, 06:39:13 AM »
As a quick counter point... there are certain images that are really hard to get... a ball being compressed by a bat at the moment of contact, a diver just before he puts his fields in the water, etc.

You may have 120 images to sort through, but know which image exactly you want makes it easy enough to find.

But that is about it... no thank you to the remaining 119 images.

The trouble is, I can do single-shot timing reliably to within 5ms or so, and get within around 2ms at a reliability of around 50%.  For spray and pray to do that well, you're going to need in the 200-500fps range.  That's pretty fast, and pretty hard to store.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2014, 07:28:14 AM »
do the Magic Guys have to begin again from scratch every time they 'assault' a new model or can the previous work be transferred, in the form of pieces of code or at least expertise, from one camera to another?

No, the basic ML codebase stays the same and is very mature by now - i.e. integrating with Canon DryOS as far as setting props and memory allocation is concerned. The 7d1 has a unique catch though which might also apply to the 7d2: real dual digic-processing (and not just offloading the af to a digic).

That's the reason the 7d1 port didn't get started for some years as it wouldn't boot at all, and even now some features don't work at all. In general, my estimation is one year from "Hello World" on a newer camera to a release which has been tested enough so everything works w/o hiccups. *If* a maintainer for the camera is found, and that's not very likely since it's an unpaid job requiring months of man-work. Btw the 6d is unmaintained right now (but somehow working), and so is the 100d (not working at all).

and I thought I read here once, that the 5D3 was the mini 1Dx ;-) ???

I imagine the 5d3's frame rate is still way too slow for pro sports shooting and maybe wildlife - for these it might be a fraction of a second between the and perfect shot you sell and junk that looks like your mom shot it. I'm a flash user and really not a fan of high fps, but if I'd want to be sure to capture the moment I'd rather capture a frame off raw video with enough resolution for most print/web purposes.

Btw if you don't know it: Magic Lantern has not only raw video, but also a "silent pix" function which captures bursts of 60fps+ even on cameras which sd card cannot sustain high write speeds. It even filters out shots that are out of focus, the catch is that it needs live view and doesn't work with af but only locked focus.

The mention that this will be positioned as a Professional APS-C camera is what I hoped for.

Professional also means 1dx-like shutter cycles. Burst with mirror/shutter up in lv have the advantage of not eating through your shutter - but did you ever calculate how long your 5d3 lasts @max fps and 150k warranty cycles :-p ? How long a supposed 7d2 lasts @10+fps ?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2014, 07:31:11 AM »
when the c100, with its 4k technology came out, there was a video about exporting stills from video.  It seemed like too much Damn work... review 24000 frames.
Without wanting to open up a whole huge new area of debate, I remain unconvinced about this. I'm hardly wedded to old school methods or technology, I only took up serious bird photography a couple of years ago. And I hope your optimism about tracking and suchlike are well-founded, but I don't relish having to wade through hundreds or thousands of frames to find the ones that aren't motion blurred or otherwise unusable. There has to be an upper limit of what is workable per session - more than a few hundred takes too long to sort through in a day or two, especially if the shots are very similar.

Last  week I shot a time lapse with 36,940 frames. I can assure you that going through that many images looking for a particular frame is not a trivial task....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »

Professional also means 1dx-like shutter cycles. Burst with mirror/shutter up in lv have the advantage of not eating through your shutter - but did you ever calculate how long your 5d3 lasts @max fps and 150k warranty cycles :-p ? How long a supposed 7d2 lasts @10+fps ?
3 hours

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
3 hours

Now, people with a calculator and a phone could also figure out how many $ this is per minute considering the cost of a shutter replacement (parts and service) :-p .. I don't know how long the mirror construction holds, I guess the shutter itself is the first thing that breaks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »

Austin

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
A quick backpedal to the vertical grip thing...this is an excerpt from a post I made on another thread regarding that...

I have the 7D battery grip. It is essentially useless to me when shooting wildlife, because I need to select different focus points with the thumb joystick on-the-fly as I am shooting moving subjects. The 7D battery grip obviously does not have the thumb joystick, nor can you reach the built-in body joystick when gripping the battery grip vertically. I rarely shoot vertical wildlife shots simply because I cannot select focus points and control everything easily in vertical format with the subject is moving. If the 7Dmk2 has the pro body with integrated grip similar to the 1D-x with the thumb joystick and everything, I would be thrilled.

If the 7D2 does not have a vertical grip built in, it is highly unlikely that I will purchase an add-on grip, considering it would be the same story as my 7D grip described above. This would be a major disappointment for me.

Why don't you just turn the 7D vertically so the back of your hand is facing up?

Maybe Canon will add a joystick to the grip for the 7DII. I would be surprised to see that though.

I think there is about a zero percent chance the 7D's successor will come griped like a 1D. It would be too bulky for many a potential buyer. Canon's not going to want to put off potential customers who value the compactness of a 7D type body, just to satisfy people in the minority like yourself who would enjoy carrying the bulk of a 1D just so it has a vertical joystick.

AND anyone that does want a grip can just buy it separately - more money for canon. You do know that they like when you buy extra things for your camera, right. And for anyone STILL not satisfied having a grip without a joystick can go with a 1Dsomething.

I really think you'll have two options when the 7DII comes out. Hold your camera vertically, or buy a 1D.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:06:14 AM by Austin »

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »
Maybe Canon will add a joystick to the grip for the 7DII. I would be surprised to see that though.

I expect the 7D successor to come without integrated grip but with a optional vertical/battery grip.
And I fully expect it to have a [duplicate] joystick for AF-Field selection in vertical orientation. 
It'll be a differentiating feature vs. 70D  ... BG-E14 has no joystick.

Same as the difference between BG-E11 / 5D 3 with joystick vs. BG-E13 / 6D without.
It's the one thing Canon has truly down to perfection: "marketing differentiation"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:11:18 PM by AvTvM »

pierlux

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
do the Magic Guys have to begin again from scratch every time they 'assault' a new model or can the previous work be transferred, in the form of pieces of code or at least expertise, from one camera to another?

No, the basic ML codebase stays the same and is very mature by now - i.e. integrating with Canon DryOS as far as setting props and memory allocation is concerned. The 7d1 has a unique catch though which might also apply to the 7d2: real dual digic-processing (and not just offloading the af to a digic).

That's the reason the 7d1 port didn't get started for some years as it wouldn't boot at all, and even now some features don't work at all. In general, my estimation is one year from "Hello World" on a newer camera to a release which has been tested enough so everything works w/o hiccups. *If* a maintainer for the camera is found, and that's not very likely since it's an unpaid job requiring months of man-work. Btw the 6d is unmaintained right now (but somehow working), and so is the 100d (not working at all).
Thanks a lot!

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
Any word whether it will use a CFast or CF card? I hope it doesn't have issues with any lens that requires a lens to be upgraded.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

scyrene

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »
when the c100, with its 4k technology came out, there was a video about exporting stills from video.  It seemed like too much Damn work... review 24000 frames.
Without wanting to open up a whole huge new area of debate, I remain unconvinced about this. I'm hardly wedded to old school methods or technology, I only took up serious bird photography a couple of years ago. And I hope your optimism about tracking and suchlike are well-founded, but I don't relish having to wade through hundreds or thousands of frames to find the ones that aren't motion blurred or otherwise unusable. There has to be an upper limit of what is workable per session - more than a few hundred takes too long to sort through in a day or two, especially if the shots are very similar.

Last  week I shot a time lapse with 36,940 frames. I can assure you that going through that many images looking for a particular frame is not a trivial task....

Time lapse is a killer! But so worth it. Did you burn through the shutter life? I only use an old camera for that partly for this reason.
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2014, 06:10:30 PM »
Time lapse is a killer! But so worth it. Did you burn through the shutter life? I only use an old camera for that partly for this reason.

For lower-res timelapses use Magic Lantern with fps override (it takes a movie for example with 0.1 fps) or intervalometer with silent pix - both use zero shutter cycles and are made just for this purpose.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2014, 06:10:30 PM »

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »

I was using a GoPro.... filled a 64G memory card!

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »
Can somebody explain to me HOW lack of a mode dial is a good thing? I've never really understood the button system on the 1D line. To me it seems to be a lot slower to switch modes like this.

It's quite simple, the mode dial is the weakest part of the top plate. If the camera takes damage to the top plate, then it's very common for this to get smashed. It's not a functional design on the 1D series, it's a robust design.

I've smashed the mode dial once on one of my 5DIII's and the cracked the top LCD too. All the riggors of pro shooting...it happens and that's why I carry a few spare camera bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »