May 27, 2018, 08:07:11 AM

Author Topic: A Few EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]  (Read 95443 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: A Few EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
I think things change too.  As metering gets better and better, and more and more accurate, auto ISO, IMO, will become more popular.  The 1Dx's metering in all metering modes is super, super accurate whereas earlier models not so much.  So I think people's preferences may change as technology improves. 
2 x 1DX
B1G, MAC, GLIAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »
I think things change too.  As metering gets better and better, and more and more accurate, auto ISO, IMO, will become more popular.  The 1Dx's metering in all metering modes is super, super accurate whereas earlier models not so much.  So I think people's preferences may change as technology improves.

I think our favorite spot on the mode dial is a religious matter -- it often defines our first priority to the shot and everything else follows.  Mine is locked on Av unless (a) I deliberately want a specific shutter (< 1% of the time) or (b) I've got the flash on in really low light and I go to M.  It's not right, it's not wrong.  It's what I do.  Each of us has our own sensibilities to follow.

But ISO is different to me.  It's the part of the triangle I am most flexible on to get the rest of the settings where I want them.  I bounce all over the place on ISO, even using Auto ISO (gated to 1/(lens FL) shutter) in difficult / rapidly changing lighting or in spur-of-the-moment shooting environments.

- A
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:32:37 PM by ahsanford »

AvTvM

« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

I think our favorite spot on the mode dial is a religious matter -- it often defines our first priority to shot and everything else follows.  Mine is locked on Av unless (a) I deliberately want a specific shutter (< 1% of the time) or (b) I've got the flash on in really low light and I go to M.  It's not right, it's not wrong.  It's what I do.  Each of us has our own sensibilities to follow.

But ISO is different to me.  It's the part of the triangle I am most flexible on to get the rest of the settings where I want them.  I bounce all over the place on ISO, even using Auto ISO (gated to 1/(lens FL) shutter) in difficult / rapidly changing lighting or in spur-of-the-moment shooting environments.

- A

also my approach. :-)
Focus plane and Aperture always control look & composition of an image. Shutter speed only if subjects and/or camera are moving. ISO is irrelevant for composition, its only about "technical" image quality and if we keep it within our "tolerance levels", its the least important of the the 4 shooting parameters. That's why better implementation of Auto-ISO in Canon EOS cameras is so crucial [eg. "M + Auto-ISO + working EV compensation" not only on 1-series cameras] ... to have a good tool to handle quickly changing lighting situations that are not under our immediate control.

Steve

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »
Fair question; (P mode stuff)

Eh, it still doesn't really sound that useful.  I don't shoot weddings though so... *shrugs*  Seems to me it would be just as easy and fast to use Av + Auto ISO and then still have a bit more control.

The one mode I have never used on digital is Tv.

Tv seems most useful for sports or concert photography where you want a hard floor on your shutter to make sure you stop the action.

As for Ken Rockwell and his "P is for professionals" comment....yeah right....becareful of what you read on the internet....especially if the advice is for free? I certainly wouldn't go on one of his workshops.

I was being sarcastic.  KRock is garbage.

Oh and not really to knock that Joe Buissink dude but when I looked him up it sounds like he just has a crew of people blasting away nonstop in the general vicinity of things happening and just picks out the random good shots to send to the customer.   I guess P mode works good for that style?  Also, google autocompletes "Joe Buissink" with  "program mode" lol.

Austin

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2014, 04:44:08 AM »
People who deride P mode are idiots

...Or they are just joking, like I was.

And what a tangent that crack took this thread on. As was mentioned, P mode is great if you are just handing your camera to somone.

Or if you just don't have the time to change settings, and you need to me snapping away in the next second P mode is nice and safe. (AV would be fine for that too, but if your ISO happens to be set to something like 100, you might have some blurry pictures.) That is, if I toss you a camera and tell you Tom Cruise will be walking through the door in the next second, switching it to P mode and putting the camera straight to your eye would be a good move.

Full M is great, and there's real sport in it - that's why I use it - but if you are a pap trying to land THE shot in trickey lighting, you'd be crazy to use it without a flash.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
I have a sense of humour too, I meant people who do actually deride P mode, and there are many who mean it.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

unfocused

• Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »
An aside: People shouldn't be giving our friend Ken Rockwell so much credit. "'P' is for professionals" is a saying that has been around for a long time and certainly wasn't invented by him.

It's essentially the digital version of "f8 and be there."

Point being that under rapidly changing conditions when you have no idea what you might encounter next, having the camera set so that it gives you the best odds for a usable shot is important if your livelihood depends on bringing back the shot.  I'm guessing that most of the "I only use manual" crowd have never experienced that kind of pressure.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
Well, I am an old-time amateur, grew up with all-manual with only a TTL light meter needle, still think and shoot in manual mode when shooting static subjects (landscape and macro). I haven't tried P. I use Av when birding, keeping an eye on the shutter speed, should look into auto-ISO. If I were doing event or pj work, I would likely use P, just to free up brain space for interaction with subjects.

tayassu

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • 500px
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
I think our favorite spot on the mode dial is a religious matter -- it often defines our first priority to the shot and everything else follows.  Mine is locked on Av unless (a) I deliberately want a specific shutter (< 1% of the time) or (b) I've got the flash on in really low light and I go to M.  It's not right, it's not wrong.  It's what I do.  Each of us has our own sensibilities to follow.

+1
Exactly what I do!!
But unlike you I hate to use AUTO ISO on my 7D as i often find it not to select high enough ISO's. I like the auto-metering of my camera, I seldom use spot metering, only in extremely different lit situations where I would need DR my camera can't offer.
Cameras: Canon 5DIII, Canon 7D, Panasonic LX100
Lenses: Canon 16-35/4 L, Tamron 24-70/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 L, Tamron 2.8/90mm

AvTvM

« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »

+1
Exactly what I do!!
But unlike you I hate to use AUTO ISO on my 7D as i often find it not to select high enough ISO's. I like the auto-metering of my camera, I seldom use spot metering, only in extremely different lit situations where I would need DR my camera can't offer.

Auto-ISO on the 7D unfortunately is still limited, even after firmware update 2.0 
Only 5D 3 and 1-series have fully functional Auto-ISO. sigh.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2014, 02:39:05 PM »
As a quick counter point... there are certain images that are really hard to get... a ball being compressed by a bat at the moment of contact, a diver just before he puts his fields in the water, etc.

You may have 120 images to sort through, but know which image exactly you want makes it easy enough to find.

But that is about it... no thank you to the remaining 119 images.

I agree, there may be a few rare situations where you want a higher frame rate than 12fps. That said, people get those kinds of shots. They have actually been getting them for years, with equipment older and slower even than we have today. I'm not sure 120fps is necessary. I'm not even sure 30fps is necessary, although it might be the point where diminishing returns have kicked in enough that anything faster would still be pretty useless.

Beyond the point of diminishing returns, you would have many, even dozens of frames of essentially the same thing. At that point, your gathering dozens or hundreds of frames per second so you can choose a more appealing squashed base ball shape...which changes only by a few millimeters per frame. :P Is that really worth the extra import time and storage requirements and cost?

12fps isn't even close to grabbing bat on ball for you, not even remotely close! you still need to self time that, you'd need much higher fps just to guarantee a SINGLE frame with ball on bat

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »

Regarding flash...no, however I have never really needed flash for my bird and wildlife photography. I don't think flash is used all that much with sports either.

Maybe not during action most of the time, but there are plenty of other circumstances shooting sports an emergency flash could be handy for sure! I once got an out of the blue call to shoot the Stanley Cup, no time to grab more equipment, luckily I had a non-pro body at the moment so I had a built-in flash because one quick shot they wanted had the cup and people holding it backlit.

And who says you can't use your 7D2 for all shots, why is it so bad for it to give you a little fill for a sudden snap shot of some friends on a trip or when you are out and boom out of nowhere a tree frog at night, ec. etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:45:49 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
...who says you can't use your 7D2 for all shots,

Who says you can?!?  At this point I can safely say that you can use your 7D2 for any shots you take while riding on the back of unicorn.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »

jrista

• EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
...who says you can't use your 7D2 for all shots,

Who says you can?!?  At this point I can safely say that you can use your 7D2 for any shots you take while riding on the back of unicorn.   :P

You could even take shots of the marshmallows that unicorn is crapping out as it flys around on it's magical cloud. :P

AvTvM

« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
You could even take shots of the marshmallows that unicorn is crapping out as it flys around on it's magical cloud. :P

Hehehe! :-)

Unfortunately Canon's unicorns are of the non-aviatory kind. :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »