November 26, 2014, 03:06:35 AM

Poll

What Resolution and fps do you think the 7D will have?

16Mpx at 11fps - Match the resolution and burst rate of the Nikon D4s
6 (8%)
18Mpx at 10fps - Match the 7D resolution and the 1D-IV burst rate
19 (25.3%)
20Mpx at  8fps  - Match the 70D resolution and 7D burst rate
10 (13.3%)
24Mpx at  8fps  - Match the Nikon D7100 resolution and the 7D burst rate
21 (28%)
Other (please elaborate)
19 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: June 19, 2014, 07:30:56 PM

Author Topic: 7D Mark-II as an action oriented DSLR  (Read 5627 times)

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 7D Mark-II as an action oriented DSLR
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »
If I recall correctly, the Digic 6 processors were designed for point&shoot cameras to allow for better noise reduction for jpg processing.
Yes and no. 7D has Dual Digic 4 (not +) also. Dual Digic 6 are possible? But who would know.
Canon 7D Mark II -- Canon 70D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »

luckydude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: re
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 12:16:21 PM »
Not only that, but I've never used a pro body or full-frame body - I have a 7D and it's all I use (actually, I have 2 of them). The only input I can give in this discussion is speaking to my feelings about the 7D and what I'd like to see in the mk2.

I currently am shooting more wildlife and birds. The APS-C sensor is a huge boon. I use a 500 f4 IS II lens and 1.4x much of the time, and even that combo on a crop sensor is often not enough reach for many birds and smaller wildlife. People that have never actually tried shooting birds, have a hard time understanding how much magnification is really needed.

I have a 7D and a 5DIII and I agree with all of the above.  I'd pay $4000 for 7D-II that was as good as the 5DIII.  That means a better sensor and better AF and pretty much all of the other stuff that flyingSquirrel said.

That said, my 7D goes pretty much unused after I got the 5D, it's that much better and if I crop down to about the size I'd get from the 7D the images are good enough.

I too am hopeful that the 7DII will be an awesome wildlife camera.  If not, then I'll join the small set of crazy people that want the 1.3 crop back as a compromise between extra reach and a high end sensor.

For the record, I'm not in the Canon bashing camp that some people seem to be.  I'm 52 and the advances in camera tech in my lifetime are, to me, stunning.  I feel like a kid in a candy store each time they push the boundaries.

Larry

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Mirror flip speed limit?
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
[...achieving a speed equal or even better than the 1Dx in an APS-C-sized DSLR represent a much smaller engeneering effort than that required for FF since the mass of moving parts (mirror and shutter) involved is approx 1/3 of a FF camera, so much less inertia and, consequently, less energy required.

Would anyone familiar with mirror flip physics care to speculate on what the maximum achievable (and durable)frame rate might be?  (Speaking APS-C size mechanics only, disregarding processing speed  ;) )

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror flip speed limit?
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
[...achieving a speed equal or even better than the 1Dx in an APS-C-sized DSLR represent a much smaller engeneering effort than that required for FF since the mass of moving parts (mirror and shutter) involved is approx 1/3 of a FF camera, so much less inertia and, consequently, less energy required.

Would anyone familiar with mirror flip physics care to speculate on what the maximum achievable (and durable)frame rate might be?  (Speaking APS-C size mechanics only, disregarding processing speed  ;) )

If I were them, I'd leave the mirror up and use DPAF for continuing focus tracking.  That way, you're limited only by the shutter speed (thousands per second), the readout speed (much fewer), and the flash speed (fewer still).  :)

pierlux

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror flip speed limit?
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »
I would, if I were familiar with maths and physycs, but unfortunately I'm not. Apart from the logical statement that moving a small mass requires less energy than moving a bigger one, I can't produce mathematical evidence of this. But I think the maximum 'achievable' frame rate, disregarding processing speed, could be higher than the maximum 'convenient' (or 'applicative') frame rate since, as you mention yourself, durability kicks in, together with image quality degradation due to vibration. I think a 'theoretical' burst at 25 fps would possibly introduce an unacceptable amount of vibration blur.

Viper28

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »
I've had a 7D for over 3-years now, it's my primary body and must be over 100k clicks by now. If been more or less faultless and has been out in all weathers and temperatures. The key for me in the 7D2 will be an improvement in the AF system at higher frame rates. At the low continuous drive speed I find the 7D effectively 100% accurate. Take it up to the higher speed (8 fps) and the accuracy falls off to 60-70% typically (and I mean absolutely sharp as opposed to "it will do").  If they can't improve that, then higher fps is meaningless. 

I'm not over concerned about more mpx but like everyone else I'd like cleaner files with more dynamic range and probably more headroom in the RAW files. The 7D is noisy as hell if you don't get the exposure exactly right and have to start using even small exposure compensations in post.

If they want to make it a 1-series body (gripped) fine by me.
Cheer Simon

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2014, 05:02:53 PM »
Note: this is not what a "wish list" but rather a prediction based on the market, competition and Canon's existing lineup:

24 mp dual pixel APS-C sensor;
Sensor performs marginally better than 70D sensor;
Autofocus equal to or exceeding the 5DIII;
Dual card slots, one each SD and CF;
Weather sealing somewhere between 5DIII and 1DX;
Mode dial replaced by 1D-style button (After CR Guy surfaced this rumor, I started thinking about it and it makes sense);
Touch Screen;
Integrated Wi-Fi and/or GPS;
Accessory grip/battery holder with weather-sealing slightly superior to 5DIII grip;
Frame rate slightly better than current 7D (Maybe 1-1.5 fps faster);
Pop-up flash with optical trigger (same as 7D);
Same back controls (joystick, click wheel, etc.) as 5DIII;
Fixed back screen (not tilting);
Video enhancements that I don't understand and won't use.

That about covers it.

Totally agree. Exactly my expectation. It might have abuilt-in RT speedlite trigger as a surprise extra deature (that would sell an extra couple 1000 of 600EX-RT speedlites!) - in line with the 7D which was the first EOS with pop-up flash serving as optical speedlite trigger.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2014, 05:02:53 PM »