September 16, 2014, 08:00:10 PM

Author Topic: need tripod for my new 6D + other accessories (( UPDATED )) urgent help guys  (Read 4362 times)

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: need tripod for my new 6D + other accessories
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »
While researching your tripod purchase, keep in mind that the legs and BH (Ball Head) are usually purchased separately to meet your needs. Stay away from any BH whose QR (quick release) is not Arca-Swiss compatible.

Manfrotto makes really good tripods, but their BH's are not Arca-Swiss as they use their own proprietary system.

For travel, carbon fiber is a great and expensive choice. CF also helps with vibration control, so its not just about it's being light weight for travel.

5DMK3, BG-E11, RRS L-Plate, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 70-300 4-5.6L IS, 400 5.6L, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 24-105 4.0L IS, 50 1.4, Extenders 2x III & 1.4x III,  Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ MH054M0-Q2 BH converted to A-S, full kit of Lee Filters, F-Stop Satori, Loka and Guru. Modded Black Rapid

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »

NancyP

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 03:58:29 PM »
Polarizer: B+W makes great polarizers. Order from a large or specialized supplier that imports from Schneider (parent company), I understand that there are some fraudulent copies out there. UV filter: unnecessary because UV is filtered out by the on-sensor filter, but a clear or UV filter may be needed to complete waterproofing, should your lens be one of the water-resistant L lenses.

My lightweight tripod is a Feisol 3442 "tournament" carbon fiber tripod with Arca Swiss p0 head (3 pounds for the combo), but there are cheaper options out there that have gotten good notice. Sirui and Induro are good makers. This tripod and head are good for DSLR with lens up to 180mm macro. I am short, 5'5", and the tripod-head-camera reaches eye level when fully extended without using a center column.

My heaviest tripod is a Manfrotto aluminum 055B with Manfrotto geared head 410 fitted with a Hejnarphoto milled Arca-Swiss clamp adapter. This works a treat with the 400mm f/5.6L and is good for astrophotography, set so it can act as a wedge (to match local declination) and can support a small equatorial drive/ barn door plus camera and lens. It is well over twice the weight(~ 8 pounds) of the little tripod.

BinAbul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 05:46:59 AM »
While researching your tripod purchase, keep in mind that the legs and BH (Ball Head) are usually purchased separately to meet your needs. Stay away from any BH whose QR (quick release) is not Arca-Swiss compatible.

Manfrotto makes really good tripods, but their BH's are not Arca-Swiss as they use their own proprietary system.

For travel, carbon fiber is a great and expensive choice. CF also helps with vibration control, so its not just about it's being light weight for travel.

so if i buy this one Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 055 Carbon

which head you recommend ?

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »

so if i buy this one Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 055 Carbon

which head you recommend ?

In my case I have a Manfrotto, and that's how I learned the hard way about Arca-Swiss quick release VS the Manfrotto system. I started to look for a change when I needed to use an L-Bracket. That pretty much requires an A-S QR. I was looking at RRS BH's and they are pretty expensive. Some others have been mentioned in the remarks above. Since you want to travel with it, take a look at RRS BH-30 and BH-40 http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ they are very expensive though. A lot of people like Markins http://www.markins.com/4.0/html_en/main.php, Kirk http://www.kirkphoto.com/Ball-Heads.html and Acratech http://www.acratech.net/. There are others, and you can find plenty of info on them here when searching for tripods.

If I had the cash and could splurge on both travel and local use I would get a RRS BH-30 for travel and BH-55 for local work. For the leggs, I would look at either RRS or Gitzo carbon fiber and they both have travel versions but I'm sure if they would be tall enough for you.

RRS has some great info on buying a tripod here: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.27/category.24/.f and they also have sizing charts in the tripod section which are worth taking a look at.
5DMK3, BG-E11, RRS L-Plate, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 70-300 4-5.6L IS, 400 5.6L, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 24-105 4.0L IS, 50 1.4, Extenders 2x III & 1.4x III,  Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ MH054M0-Q2 BH converted to A-S, full kit of Lee Filters, F-Stop Satori, Loka and Guru. Modded Black Rapid

BinAbul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 12:15:35 PM »
okay after what i read here ....  :o :o :o

i'm not rich but i save money for too long to buy new camera and new staff :)

today i try the Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 055 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Tripod with Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release it was same my tall when i put my 6D

and i think 190 carbon fibre 4-section tripod, with horizontal column will be in same height or 055

also i read some guys tells me about other heads and not using QR of manfrotto .. they said RSS is good . and why Arca-Swiss is better QR

to much info :)

now i have 3 tripods on my mind with no head :)

1. 055 carbon fibre 4-section tripod
2. 190 carbon fibre 4-section tripod
3. X1.1 BRIAN EVOLUTION 2 CARBON FIBER TRIPOD

i need good head .... the one i try it is good ? for my camera safety ?

i have 6D with ef24-70 2.8 II and  ef 135mm f2L

also i saw this

Pro Light Camera Backpack: Bug-203 PL

or

Pro Light Camera Backpack: Bumblebee-220PL

for laptop 15.9'' and my staff ?

i know i ask too much :)

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »

I would go with just about any other manufacture for a BH than Manfrotto, Gitzo or Bogen which are the same company. They use a quick release that is unique to their three brands.  If some day you want to add an "L" bracket to your equipment you will be stuck using a generic bracket that will not fit your camera well. If you add another tripod to your bag in the future, you will have to either always switch the QR plate off you camera(s) or just go with Manfrotto again.

There is an adapter and QR clamps that you can buy to convert from Manfrotto type QR to Arca-Swiss but that will add $50-100 to the cost for the tripod and even more if you bought more plates for telephoto lenses. That's what I did. I had a Manfrotto QR plate on three telephoto lenses plus my camera and then wanted an "L" bracket. So in addition to the cost of the "L" bracket (not cheap) I had to buy the adapter, a new clamp (not cheap) and three plates for my lenses.

As for safety, the Manfrotto design is less safe in my opinion. It is harder to get the camera in and secure and must be put into the clamp in the correct direction. I also had a screw come lose inside the mechanism which led to failure and my camera fell. Luckily I had just put it in and was able to catch it on the way down. This is a known defect to Manfrotto BH's and I don't know if they ever have or ever will fix it. I fixed it with blue Loctite to the hex head screw that holds the locking mechanism together. The answer from the company was less than stellar and others have reported this in reviews of Manfrotto BH's.

A QR plate is attached to the base of your camera and allows you to quickly remove your camera. There are for the most part two standards, Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto's. Though even Manfrotto uses several types within its products.

An "L" bracket allows you to switch the camera from landscape mode to portrait mode fast and keeps the camera in the same perspective. It is very useful in studio, landscape and panorama photography.

If you go with Manfrotto and stay with photography, someday you will say to yourself, "why didn't I listen to this guy and get an Arca-Swiss compatible ball head".

Sorry this is so long again, but if you don't understand because of language barrier and or just being new to photography, understand this one piece of advice: Get an Arca-Swiss compatible ball head. and you won't regret it later.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:22:15 PM by ScubaX »

BinAbul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »

I would go with just about any other manufacture for a BH than Manfrotto, Gitzo or Bogen which are the same company. They use a quick release that is unique to their three brands.  If some day you want to add an "L" bracket to your equipment you will be stuck using a generic bracket that will not fit your camera well. If you add another tripod to your bag in the future, you will have to either always switch the QR plate off you camera(s) or just go with Manfrotto again.

There is an adapter and QR clamps that you can buy to convert from Manfrotto type QR to Arca-Swiss but that will add $50-100 to the cost for the tripod and even more if you bought more plates for telephoto lenses. That's what I did. I had a Manfrotto QR plate on three telephoto lenses plus my camera and then wanted an "L" bracket. So in addition to the cost of the "L" bracket (not cheap) I had to buy the adapter, a new clamp (not cheap) and three plates for my lenses.

As for safety, the Manfrotto design is less safe in my opinion. It is harder to get the camera in and secure and must be put into the clamp in the correct direction. I also had a screw come lose inside the mechanism which led to failure and my camera fell. Luckily I had just put it in and was able to catch it on the way down. This is a known defect to Manfrotto BH's and I don't know if they ever have or ever will fix it. I fixed it with blue Loctite to the hex head screw that holds the locking mechanism together. The answer from the company was less than stellar and others have reported this in reviews of Manfrotto BH's.

A QR plate is attached to the base of your camera and allows you to quickly remove your camera. There are for the most part two standards, Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto's. Though even Manfrotto uses several types within its products.

An "L" bracket allows you to switch the camera from landscape mode to portrait mode fast and keeps the camera in the same perspective. It is very useful in studio, landscape and panorama photography.

If you go with Manfrotto and stay with photography, someday you will say to yourself, "why didn't I listen to this guy and get an Arca-Swiss compatible ball head".

Sorry this is so long again, but if you don't understand because of language barrier and or just being new to photography, understand this one piece of advice: Get an Arca-Swiss compatible ball head. and you won't regret it later.

so i need something similar to 055 manfrotto in height with 4 sections to Arca-Swiss compatible ball head  ?

man that's too much money :) ... but i can live (( don't tell my wife please she will kill me ))

so let's say i have for tripod and head 720$ little more ... what shall i buy ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »

BinAbul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 01:54:43 PM »
******UPDATE******

okay guys after research this forum i make up my mind between these tripods and heads  >:(

it will be between gitzo and RRS

TVC-24L: Versa series 2, 4 sections/leg, long

SYSTEMATIC Series 3 carbon tripod, long 4-section, eye level

SYSTEMATIC Series 4 carbon tripod, long 4-section, eye level

heads

BH-40 LR: Mid-sized ballhead with B2-40 LR clamp

BH-40 PCLR: Mid-sized ballhead with PC-LR clamp

BH-40 LR II: Mid-sized ballhead with B2 AS II clamp

can you tell why these have gap of price i see all of the heads are same :)

please guys need your help , i feel headache now

also is Arca-Swiss head made by them is better ? or i stick with RRS

main reason for this buy to travel
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:58:40 PM by BinAbul »

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
The difference in prices for the BH-40 have to do with the type or size of clamp. The B2-40 and B2 AS II are similar with the B2 AS II having a spirit level and is 60mm vs 50mm.

The PC-LR is a pano clamp.

If your planning on doing any landscape pano's, this would be a good choice. The rotation markings can be seen clearly in the picture on RRS. Instead of rotating at the ball head, you rotate at the clamp. For instance, if your on a rocky shore and you level your camera by positioning the ball head, it will no longer be perpendicular to the horizon. As you rotate the BH for the pano, the perspective will change and you will need to re-level the camera for each shot. With a rotating clamp, it will be perpendicular horizon once the camera is leveled with the ball head.

The photo on the right is a good example of this, the legs are not level but the BH is used to make the camera/clamp level. Then you can rotate the clamp/camera without affecting the perspective as much. There is another issue with pano's having to do with rotation and parallax, but that discussion is for another time and many more dollars.

If it was my cash, I would get the PC-LR because I like pano's.

BinAbul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
The difference in prices for the BH-40 have to do with the type or size of clamp. The B2-40 and B2 AS II are similar with the B2 AS II having a spirit level and is 60mm vs 50mm.

If your planning on doing any landscape pano's, this would be a good choice. The rotation markings can be seen clearly in the picture on RRS. Instead of rotating at the ball head, you rotate at the clamp. For instance, if your on a rocky shore and you level your camera by positioning the ball head, it will no longer be perpendicular to the horizon. As you rotate the BH for the pano, the perspective will change and you will need to re-level the camera for each shot. With a rotating clamp, it will be perpendicular horizon once the camera is leveled with the ball head.

The photo on the right is a good example of this, the legs are not level but the BH is used to make the camera/clamp level. Then you can rotate the clamp/camera without affecting the perspective as much. There is another issue with pano's having to do with rotation and parallax, but that discussion is for another time and many more dollars.

nice PC-LR

and what do you think of tripod ? do you think they all same

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile

IMO, panning above the ball limits the horizon being dead center.
However, if you use a leveling base and panning head, then you can pan with the camera pointed up or down with the ball, and your panning axis will still be vertical.
Of course, if you use a full panning kit with horizontal and vertical rails, and a vertical panning clamp, then there is no limitation whatsoever.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile

However, if you use a leveling base and panning head, then you can pan with the camera pointed up or down with the ball, and your panning axis will still be vertical.
Of course, if you use a full panning kit with horizontal and vertical rails, and a vertical panning clamp, then there is no limitation whatsoever.

That's the "more dollars" part I mentioned.

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
nice PC-LR

and what do you think of tripod ? do you think they all same

I have not looked into those tripod legs, but the two brands are top of the line.

Remember to consider what your using the tripod for, will you need extra height for hills or rocky areas? Are you going to be able to take it as carry on or will you need to check your 1 grand+ tripod? For the height, remember to add the BH and camera and subtract from your height to your eyes - that might make a difference if you need it to be shorter to get it on a plane. United Airlines max is 22 inches in length and the TVC-24L's minimum without the head is 23.3" - and I have heard they've become real jerks about it.

Look at package deals from RRS and maybe give them a call. I have heard they are very helpful.

canon rumors FORUM

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
I use Gitzo Systematic and Mountaineer (with center column) in both 2 and 3 series and love them!
I would suggest that you have a look at a 2 series if you are using lenses of 300mm or less. They are lighter and good enough for my 300 F2.8 - with or without extenders.
For my long lens I use a 3 series Systematic (3530LS) . Whilst Gitzo do not recommend it for lenses like my Canon 800 F5.6, I find it more than adequate. I have tried both a used 5 series (5541) and new 4 series Systematics and could find no significant advantage in them. Yes they are more rigid, but even at 800mm, the difference was not enough to justify the extra weight let alone the price!
My personal recommendation would be to look at the GT3530 LS, 3540, 3531 and 3541 models, I am not so keen on the latest models as they offer little or no advantage to me and they weigh more - let alone their higher cost!
If you add the accessory center column (handy for landscape work) + a couple of top plates then you have all the tripod you will ever need for any (current) Canon production EOS lens. I recently picked up a mint center column from E Bay for 35Gbp ($59) and the top plates for 15Gbp ($25).

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
The difference in prices for the BH-40 have to do with the type or size of clamp. The B2-40 and B2 AS II are similar with ...

That's the "more dollars" part I mentioned.

Sure.
What I am mainly trying to say though, is that leveling heads are more versatile than panning clamps for panoramas.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM