August 23, 2014, 11:48:11 AM

Author Topic: need tripod for my new 6D + other accessories (( UPDATED )) urgent help guys  (Read 4150 times)

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
The difference in prices for the BH-40 have to do with the type or size of clamp. The B2-40 and B2 AS II are similar with ...

IMO, panning above the ball limits the horizon being dead center.
However, if you use a leveling base and panning head, then you can pan with the camera pointed up or down with the ball, and your panning axis will still be vertical.
Of course, if you use a full panning kit with horizontal and vertical rails, and a vertical panning clamp, then there is no limitation whatsoever.

That's the "more dollars" part I mentioned.

Sure.
What I am mainly trying to say though, is that leveling heads are more versatile than panning clamps for panoramas.

Oh I agree that is a much nicer solution for pano's. So he could go with the BH-40 LR II but add 2 to 3 hundred for the leveling base putting the cost around $600 to $700.  And while were spending his money, then he could also add a Nodal rail at another $100 to $200 to avoid parallax.

That is the way I would go, except I would get the BH-55 and different legs too.
5DMK3, BG-E11, RRS L-Plate, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 70-300 4-5.6L IS, 400 5.6L, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 24-105 4.0L IS, 50 1.4, Extenders 2x III & 1.4x III,  Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ MH054M0-Q2 BH converted to A-S, full kit of Lee Filters, F-Stop Satori, Loka and Guru. Modded Black Rapid

fish_shooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
+1 for Gitzo and Arca-Swiss compatible! I have been using both for decades and have a few of the original A-S Monoball model. I prefer tripods with fewer leg sections since they are quicker to set up. They are longer when collapsed so you need to see what fits in your luggage from their specs. It is difficult owning just one tripod like it is difficult owning just one lens - as time goes on you will get different ones for different purposes. I would get one that will last for this reason.
Tom

BinAbul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
some one want to spend my money  ;D

----------------------------------------------

man i come to these 2 option now :

1. Gitzo GT3541L + BH-40 LR

2. TVC-24L + BH-40 PCLR ( BH-55 PCLR )

and L-plate + normal one
'
Gitzo guy told me about : ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 dp "Flip-Lock''

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
some one want to spend my money  ;D

----------------------------------------------

man i come to these 2 option now :

1. Gitzo GT3541L + BH-40 LR

2. TVC-24L + BH-40 PCLR ( BH-55 PCLR )

and L-plate + normal one
'
Gitzo guy told me about : ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 dp "Flip-Lock''

ScubaX gave you good advice- get the PCLR which will let you do panos more comfortably than the regular lever release, and also more flexibility for future.

I have the Monoball Z1 with their flip lock and please read carefully: DO NOT get the one with the flip lock. If you have to get the Z1 (and Bryan Carnathan recommends it over the BH-55 and so would I) get it with the flat platform and either get an RRS clamp (PCLR, preferably) or a Wimberley C-12 or something for less money.
The flip lock has the following problems:
1. The jaw movement between fully locked and half open is small: as a result, if you adjust it for sliding the AS plate in while half open, then it will not clamp the plate completely when fully locked. This is quite scary if you have a lens with lens plate mounted and you tilt it up or down quite a bit. The lens plate can start sliding out if the lens is heavy enough, and the quick set double decker system renders the safety stop screws useless.
2. The double decker system raises the CG of the system reducing stability.
3. The flip lock is a bit fiddly (although with time, I have gotten used to it and prefer that it has a fail safe).
4. The spirit level is under the camera or lens when mounted, and I wonder who came up with this wonderful idea.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

BinAbul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
man i just making my order on RRS website then i find that TVC-24L is out of stock  :'( i need to wait 3 weeks to get new item

i will travel on 1st of August so ... i need to change my order now :(

i will go for

Gitzo GT3542L and BH40-LR ( man i need the PCLR one  :'( )

or

i can go for TVC-34L with pclr :) ( also this out of stock ) geezz

then gitzo win

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:16:30 PM by BinAbul »

Vossie

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
man i just making my order on RRS website then i find that TVC-24L is out of stock  :'( i need to wait 3 weeks to get new item

Give them a call, the stock info on their website is not always accurate according to what I've read on this forum.
5D3, 16-35LII, 24-70 2.8LII, 24-105L, 85LII, 70-200 2.8LII, 100L, 135L, 100-400L, 50 1.4, 40 2.8, Sigma 180 3.5 EX, 1.4x TC III, 600EX, 550EX

BinAbul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile

Give them a call, the stock info on their website is not always accurate according to what I've read on this forum.

i did contact them they said from 2-3 weeks

but he also suggest i go for

Gitzo GT3542L with BH-55 LR: Full-sized ballhead with B2 AS II clamp

NancyP

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Arca flip-lock has to be completely open to put brackets/rails in and out. I use the intermediate setting for minimal adjustments, if at all. I think of it as just providing an extra step between clamped and not.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Arca flip-lock has to be completely open to put brackets/rails in and out. I use the intermediate setting for minimal adjustments, if at all. I think of it as just providing an extra step between clamped and not.

Well, technically the intermediate step is supposed to allow sliding the plate in and out- which the RRS does, I believe.
In case of the Z1, if the lock is tightened such that the plate is completely clamped when fully closed, then the intermediate step doesn't allow anything- not even minimal adjustments (at least on mine).
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

Lyle Krannichfeld

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Website
I have the 2541 legs and bh-40 head, it's rock solid and perfect. Favorite kit I own probably.
6D, 7D, Tokina 10-17, Rokinon 14, 17-40, 24-70, 100-400, 2x 600ex-rt, st-e3-rt, Ikelite, Gitzo, RRS, Apple, Lexar, LaCie, Lee, Singh-Ray, B+W etc. Fine art and commercial mostly. Finding my way and loving life.

www.instagram.com/lyle_krannichfeld   www.facebook.com/krannichfeldphoto