October 31, 2014, 01:54:46 AM

Author Topic: Sony's curved sensors - this could be the near future or even a present reality?  (Read 5767 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I really like that. But I guess we are lightyears away from such a device...Or Sony could take us by surprise by 2016?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:31:55 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
A curved sensor to match the new Samsung curved uHDTVs?   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Those curved TVs look pretty cool, at least on TV 8).  This looks like a big cost saving / miniaturization move by Sony to eliminate lens elements that correct for field curvature.  With 100M EOS lenses out there, not to mention Nikkor and many others, I don't see flat sensors going anywhere.

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
Curved so its easier to roll up your shots and send them to processing.

:)

Actually, see a bunch of curved panels.  Curved sensors for correction... hmm,, it would seem hard to make that accurate.
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

dilbert

• View Profile
Those curved TVs look pretty cool, at least on TV 8).  This looks like a big cost saving / miniaturization move by Sony to eliminate lens elements that correct for field curvature.  With 100M EOS lenses out there, not to mention Nikkor and many others, I don't see flat sensors going anywhere.

I hate to say it but those 100M EOS lenses would all work better on a DSLR with a curved sensor than one with a flat sensor.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work

I hate to say it but those 100M EOS lenses would all work better on a DSLR with a curved sensor than one with a flat sensor.
Maybe or maybe not because they have different levels of field curvature and most macro lenses would really suck on a curved sensor.  On the other hand. the Sony sensor will no doubt have lenses that are all designed to have very similar levels of field curvature.

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
So what happens when you print the image?  Do you need curved paper?

canon rumors FORUM

Neutral

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
I think this technology could make it possible to create affordable compact mirrorless medium format camera using optimized pancake lenses which would require less optical elements in design (e.g. 3-4) elements instead of typical 10 -17 elements). So lens could be much smaller and cheaper which would result in significant cost reduction of overall medium format system. This could be breakthrough in medium format cameras design and could allow MF to take more market share from FF DSLRs
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:46:56 AM by Neutral »

dilbert

• View Profile

Maybe or maybe not because they have different levels of field curvature and most macro lenses would really suck on a curved sensor.  On the other hand. the Sony sensor will no doubt have lenses that are all designed to have very similar levels of field curvature.

Field curvature has nothing to do with illumination levels.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile

I believe they were trying to say that not only will the new sensor allow for smaller sized lenses relating to field of view, focal length, etc., but they will also allow for larger apertures, thereby allowing more light.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

I believe they were trying to say that not only will the new sensor allow for smaller sized lenses relating to field of view, focal length, etc., but they will also allow for larger apertures, thereby allowing more light.
Lens construction requirements aside for a moment, if this sensor type makes it into any type of FF gear in the near future, more light would stand for better current high ISOs. Hope, the wait won't take too long. Any plans by Canon in this field? I guess we won't see anyting near to mass production within less than 5 to 10 years time...
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

dilbert

• View Profile

I won't allow for smaller lenses as the image circle still needs to be the same size.

What it will also do is put the entire sensor in the same focal plane, so that if you're using a 50/1.2, if the middle is in focus then the edge will be too (providing it is in the same focal plane in front of the lens.) Well in theory, but that would require the sensor to have the same curvature as the lens and that might not be possible.

It is just aiming the bucket (pixel) in the direction of the rain drops (photons).

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile

I won't allow for smaller lenses as the image circle still needs to be the same size.

What it will also do is put the entire sensor in the same focal plane, so that if you're using a 50/1.2, if the middle is in focus then the edge will be too (providing it is in the same focal plane in front of the lens.) Well in theory, but that would require the sensor to have the same curvature as the lens and that might not be possible.

It is just aiming the bucket (pixel) in the direction of the rain drops (photons).
Exactly, plus, different lenses, different curvature. I do not think it is practical.

canon rumors FORUM

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
If practical means cheap, then definitely not. But if their claim that the redirecting of those photons takes substantially less glass to accomplish is true, then it would mean smaller and sharper lenses. I certainly don't know enough about lens design to know if that's true/possible, but I like the idea of a sharp f/1.2 85mm the size of a couple of shorty forties.

Jay H

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
My retina is curved. My eyeballs do not contain multiple elements. IF flat sensors were "simpler" to design for, I am quite disappointed that we have not evolved that superior level yet!

canon rumors FORUM