December 10, 2016, 12:08:00 PM

Author Topic: Sony's curved sensors - this could be the near future or even a present reality?  (Read 13483 times)

arcanej

• Rebel T6i
This link (supposedly) shows the first picture from the curved sensor:
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/world-s-first-image-taken-with-the-famous-new-sony-curved-sensor

canon rumors FORUM

Max ☢

• Canon AE-1
What was Sony thinking when they submitted this image? it's blurry!! if this is supposed to show the advantage and performance of their new sensor, then it's pretty underwhelming... sure, there's no vignetting, but does this feature really called for a new sensor technology?

arcanej

• Rebel T6i
A traditional planar sensor will only have part of a properly focused image out of focus. The advance of curved sensors lets a photographer have an entire properly focused image blurry.... Progress!

Or something.

aj1575

• EOS M3
Do you like to buy Sony curved sensor; you can do it now, the KW1 will be sold shortly.

Take a look at this awesome piece of professional equipment...

http://www.gizmag.com/sony-kw1-perfume-selfie/33484/

mb66energy

• 5D Mark III
    • My Homepage
My retina is curved. My eyeballs do not contain multiple elements. IF flat sensors were "simpler" to design for, I am quite disappointed that we have not evolved that superior level yet!

The eye has only very good center sharpness. But to the periphery sharpness/resolution declines and the colour sensitivity too; but the peripheral sensors are faster (some flourescent tubes flicker in the periphery but are stable in the center).
On the other  hand you need a very wide field of view (roughly 180 degree horzontally) to be aware of potential  threats. The "eye-brain" directs the sweet spot of our eye to the potential threat.

Our "eye-brain" scans the scenery and stores details - we think that our eyes are optically very good but in fact they are not compared to good primes e.g.

So photography has to store a lot more of detail than we might read in a glance.

Where our eye excells is the dynamic range which might be 20 stops which is
FROM full sunlight (1000 Watts per square meter)
TO micro LED torch illuminating a medium large room (0.001 Watts per square meter)
through (1) using an auto aperture, (2) high DR sensors and (3) relying on two types of sensors activated for its special purposes.
Most used tools: 2 x EOS 5D i + 2.8 40 + 2.8 100 M + 4.0 70-200 + 5.6 400

mb66energy

• 5D Mark III
    • My Homepage
I really like that. But I guess we are lightyears away from such a device...Or Sony could take us by surprise by 2016?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html

I think curved sensors are a "money-printing-machine" for companies if it comes for interchangeable lens cameras: It converts all other lenses to high tech waste.

A better approach should be to make the sensor surface matt black so they collect each photon idependent from the angle of incidence. If I knew how to do that I would do it but ... I have no idea yet.
Most used tools: 2 x EOS 5D i + 2.8 40 + 2.8 100 M + 4.0 70-200 + 5.6 400

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X Mark II
as we say in Aus 'we are not playing for sheep stations'

what does this even mean? I can't even begin to parse this weird proverb

Be careful what you ask for.  Do you really want to know about Australians, sheep and the games they play?
 :o
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM