November 26, 2014, 01:51:37 PM

Author Topic: Image editing Workflow for best results.  (Read 1501 times)

Nate

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Image editing Workflow for best results.
« on: June 13, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Hi,

I want to tell you guys my workflow and ask if I should do anything different, or if you do anything different, to get the best results.

In camera:

I shoot raw (5D3 if matters),
Auto light optimizer: OFF
AWB
Picture Style: Neutral
Long noise reduction: OFF
High ISO speed NR on Maximum

In Lightroom (CS5):

At import every LR is by default.
If needed I play a bit with Histogram, WB and other basic settings.
Depending on the pictures sometimes I change a lot the Tone Curves and Colors

Now here it comes what I am interested in.
Where and when should I do the sharpening/ noise reduction?
Usually I do it in LR and I put Sharpening to 30-40 and NR if needed even until 60, I change the detail and contrast.

Lens correction if needed. and in the end of course I change the Picture Style
And export in maximum quality jpeg.
If I still edit it in PS should I export it in other format?

In Photoshop (CS6):

If its a portrait I correct some skin issues and maybe I correct the colors even more and in the end Unsharp Mask; Amount: 30%; Radius: 2; Threshold:1, and export it.

Should I dont bother with sharpening in LR?

My biggest issue is that I have the same gear as for example these guys and no matter what I do I dont get the same results on the same settings:
http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/review-canon-ef-17-40mm-f4l/

In the first picture for example (I know he used lighting) but I dont have the same clear noise free sharpness.

Is there other things I should do for better results?

Cheers!

Nate
5D3, 17-40 mm L, 24-70 mm L, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 50 mm 1.4, 2x 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

Image editing Workflow for best results.
« on: June 13, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Image editing Workflow for best results.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
Export to PS as a 16-bit TIFF, finish it there, resize it once, export to JPEG when it is done.  Assuming you have your camera set to AdobeRGB stay with that til you export, then convert it to sRGB.  If you're sending images for print then give them TIFFs cropped to your intended aspect ratio but not resized.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
Usually I do it in LR and I put Sharpening to 30-40 and NR if needed even until 60, I change the detail and contrast.

A big time saver for me is to set LR to use default import settings based on the image ISO.

I shot a test image at each ISO of the camera (5D3) and then adjusted the noise reduction and sharpness settings of each image to my preferred settings (for the ISO).

I then saved the settings for each image as the default import settings for each ISO.

Now whenever I import new images into LR they automatically get my preferred settings for noise reduction and sharpness based on the image ISO.

Phil.

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »

A big time saver for me is to set LR to use default import settings based on the image ISO.

I shot a test image at each ISO of the camera (5D3) and then adjusted the noise reduction and sharpness settings of each image to my preferred settings (for the ISO).

I then saved the settings for each image as the default import settings for each ISO.

Now whenever I import new images into LR they automatically get my preferred settings for noise reduction and sharpness based on the image ISO.

Phil.

why did I not notice this?? such a good idea I'm going to set this up right now.

isn't LENR just for jpegs? I didn't think it had any effect on RAW but i could be totally wrong maybe someone that knows for sure could shed some light.

Nate

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 05:09:07 AM »

Phil.

Great idea! Thanks!

Nate

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 05:11:00 AM »
And if I dont save them in Tiff, but I save the metadata in LR and I simply drag it from the LR timeline to PS is the same or better with the TIFF?

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
And if I dont save them in Tiff, but I save the metadata in LR and I simply drag it from the LR timeline to PS is the same or better with the TIFF?

I've always right-clicked on an image in LR and selected Photoshop, but you can (in LR) go to Edit -> Preferences -> External Editing and check the settings there.  I can't tell you that will have the same effect given your method though.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
according to the dialogue boxes, when you right click, edit in ps, it opens the raw file in PS and applies all the same adjustments. usually drag and drop and right click menus perform the same function.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 04:04:21 PM »
This might be helpful. Grey is a workflow expert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKTQeM105I

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

ichetov

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »
After cursory look at the link you provided, I'd say these are all post-processed with Nik collection HDR Efex Pro.  I routinely use it even on single-exposure raw files from my mkIII. Here are some shots from last weekend with nearly every frame treated with HDR Efex (some are "true" HDR with +/- 2 step exposures):

http://www.ximfak.us/Альберта-2014/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:32:18 PM by ichetov »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »