September 16, 2014, 01:32:08 AM

Author Topic: Interesting... World Cup and no snapshots of rumored 7D2?  (Read 6571 times)

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
Interesting... World Cup and no snapshots of rumored 7D2?
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »
I know the world is wrapped up in who is going to win the world cup, point and simple, but look, there has to be those present that are camera geeks looking out for new gear.

We have heard that the 7D2 is there taking photos, but where are the spy photos of that gear? At this point in the game I am very surprised that there hasn't been ANYTHING, no REAL specs, no "I caught you" photographs, nothing.

I'm really starting to think that Canon may just drop the XD line and concentrate on more video related cameras. The 70D is a decent replacement, just as the 6D was a decent replacement for the 5D2.

It will be interesting to see what happens in August. Will the 7D2 be announced? My guess? Maybe not...

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

Interesting... World Cup and no snapshots of rumored 7D2?
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting... World Cup and no snapshots of rumored 7D2?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
I wouldn't read too much into this.  There are many explanations.  One could be that, simply put, nobody snapped any shots of any prototypes despite them being there after all.  Or there are no prototypes there as maybe Canon didn't market the 7D2 to the pros who would be shooting this event.

If I were into betting, I would say some 7D replacement will be announced in August and shortly thereafter, a true 1Ds3 replacement.  My opinion of course.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »
I'm really starting to think that Canon may just drop the XD line and concentrate on more video related cameras.

It will be interesting to see what happens in August. Will the 7D2 be announced? My guess? Maybe not...

D

No way. Canon has manoeuvred it's lines to leave a gap for the 7DII - even if it's just a smarter, faster 70D with 'top end' ergonomics.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »
I shoot at quite a lot of major international sporting events, though I am not in Brazil for the world cup, and if Canon did offer me the use of a 7D Mark II at such an event I would probably say no, as I would need my 1D X. In fact two 1D Xs will always be preferable to any 7D Mark II (whatever it may be) combination for the sports I shoot.

This is not the same as when they test a lens. If they offer me whatever lens(es) I want  - test or not - then I will (and do) gladly accept.

Having said, that I would gladly test a 7D Mark II (if such a thing exists) at events or games where I am not working (hence not important to me), such as at a local footie match on a Sunday. But definitely not something important like a major int. sporting event.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »
I shoot at quite a lot of major international sporting events, though I am not in Brazil for the world cup, and if Canon did offer me the use of a 7D Mark II at such an event I would probably say no, as I would need my 1D X. In fact two 1D Xs will always be preferable to any 7D Mark II (whatever it may be) combination for the sports I shoot.

This is not the same as when they test a lens. If they offer me whatever lens(es) I want  - test or not - then I will (and do) gladly accept.

Having said, that I would gladly test a 7D Mark II (if such a thing exists) at events or games where I am not working (hence not important to me), such as at a local footie match on a Sunday. But definitely not something important like a major int. sporting event.

Well said.  I don't shoot international sporting events as the highest I do are NCAA D1 tournaments/finals/championships.  Having said that, I still wouldn't take a 7D2 there as I would, like you, always take my 1Dx's. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »

Well said.  I don't shoot international sporting events as the highest I do are NCAA D1 tournaments/finals/championships.  Having said that, I still wouldn't take a 7D2 there as I would, like you, always take my 1Dx's.

If its being used there, its probably by Canon employees, a pro shooting the event for his living is not going to use a prototype or pre-production 7D MK II.

That's the problem with rumors, many of them do not make a whole lot of sense.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »

If its being used there, its probably by Canon employees, a pro shooting the event for his living is not going to use a prototype or pre-production 7D MK II.

That's the problem with rumors, many of them do not make a whole lot of sense.
Or if a pro is shooting the event for Canon, he is under contract to Canon.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 01:18:49 AM »
I shoot at quite a lot of major international sporting events, though I am not in Brazil for the world cup, and if Canon did offer me the use of a 7D Mark II at such an event I would probably say no, as I would need my 1D X.

I've often wondered about that...  I never understood why someone would trial a prototype camera at an important event.

Saying that, I am scanning the photographers for lenses and cameras!  Force of habit now! :) Not seen anything too surprising...
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 03:02:27 AM »
@ expatinasia: +1.

I would take my 1DMk4, or a 1DX (I donĀ“t have) for a major event, no test of a - lets say- non professional body.....

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 03:55:56 AM »
I can easily see pro's at the World Cup using the 7d2, but as said above, it's not by pro's that are there to really
Get the money shots, it's people that work for let's say Getty, but not one of the guys that are there for money shots, but to see what they can push out of it at a very important decisive moment, and compare to what your buddy with the 1dx next to you gets. No reason why they can't test new lesser cameras at a big event. And why the World Cup? Because it's sports/action camera and you have a month of brutal shooting conditions with rain, and insane humidity and temp and you have the best shooters in the world to try them out. Makes perfect sense to me...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Khufu

• Rebel SL1
  • So, this is my "personal text"! What's that mean?
    • View Profile
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 06:38:56 AM »
Maybe they're just waiting 'til the final to send a Canon employee out there to capture some "look what the 7D2 captured at the World Cup Final!" Promo shots, because it's not worth wasting press pass opportunities on a 1.6x crop at this point?.. ;)
5D3 // 70D // EOS M // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // Samsung NX1000 & 16/2.4 & 30/2 & EF Adpt // SONY HDR FX1000 // Canon XM2 & HV20 // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

Synkka

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Synkka Imagining Flickr
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 06:44:52 AM »
If it was going to be used, then look at low rank teams in the first pool matches. There certainly won't be any working pro's using it in the final.

Tugela

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
If it was going to be used, then look at low rank teams in the first pool matches. There certainly won't be any working pro's using it in the final.

If it kicks ass there will be.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
I can easily see pro's at the World Cup using the 7d2, but as said above, it's not by pro's that are there to really
Get the money shots, it's people that work for let's say Getty, but not one of the guys that are there for money shots, but to see what they can push out of it at a very important decisive moment, and compare to what your buddy with the 1dx next to you gets. No reason why they can't test new lesser cameras at a big event. And why the World Cup? Because it's sports/action camera and you have a month of brutal shooting conditions with rain, and insane humidity and temp and you have the best shooters in the world to try them out. Makes perfect sense to me...

exactly

apparently someone else also spotted the bodies that looked like they might have some sort of integrated flash into the hump of a 1 series body that I did, neither of us has a solid enough frame to be 100% sure it's not just some bizarre choice of putting a reflective sticker there though

i'm tryin to find the frame caps I took of it, lost on one of my HD somewhere

the ones I saw were in the France game
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:33:06 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

Niki

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »
its early yet

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »