October 21, 2014, 10:06:46 PM

Author Topic: Where can I have my pictures criticized?  (Read 4646 times)

old-pr-pix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I have my pictures criticized?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »
Good work, you are brave to ask this forum for comment!  Despite the kidding it usually brings, I like the Gary Fong Lightsphere as well.  However, here it is a little too much.  As said above, try cutting back on the power.  It looks like perhaps your flash was aimed directly at your subject shooting through the amber dome.  That gives natural sunlight highlights from behind and a strange yellow light in front.  I think you want just a warm glow in front. 

You could try inverting the amber dome so it sticks down into the Lightsphere and then point your flash up so only light bouncing off the dome and out the side hits the subject.   Or, use a 1/4 or 1/2 CTO filter on the flash bounced off the catch-light panel, not direct to the subject.

I'd like to see the shots cropped in a little tighter -- get rid of some of the distracting foliage in background.

On my system the pixs look slightly oversharpened, may just be sizing for download though.

Hope some of this helps.  Keep experimenting.  BTW: does GF like the shots?  That's a key consideration.
Lots of Canon stuff -- FD, EF, EF-L, EF-S.  Olympus stuff too

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »
I like #1 and #2....#2 is pretty good as is, but #1 needs some post editing... i cropped a bit as a couple others suggested, and I just played with it a little to give it something extra.

I really don't like the amber stuff...those images don't look good.

pretty girlfriend...i hope her inner beauty matches her outer beauty!

good luck. 

Original....and then my edit. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:23:31 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
The most obvious things that are disconcerting are the lighting and the white balance.  Rather than using a Fong modifier on a flash, try a circular reflector.  The other item is the white balance.  I would recommend calibrating your monitor so that you can make white balance adjustments that make sense.
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

jeffabbyben

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 10:00:13 PM »
Fredmiranda is another place to get some critiques. 

Perio

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 11:28:21 PM »
Thanks to all of you, guys! You're awesome! I do realize that I know very little about lightning, so I definitely need to spend time to read/watch videos about that. Display calibration is a great idea too, and I'll probably get X-RITE ColorMunki Display and passport for proper colors and white balance.

Regarding the Gary Fong's kit, it also includes the grey dome, and Gary says it's more accurate to use it instead of just grey flat surface. Not sure how accurate this is.

Actually, I got 85 1.2ii as an equipment loan from Canon, and this is indeed a wonderful lens. Maybe I'll get it sometime. And I LOVE Canon for offering its customers great customer support and equipment loans.

Anyway, thanks for your time and effort! It was very useful  :) My gf looks very happy while reading your comments  :)

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »
To answer your original question, google Jared Polin or Fro Knows Photo; his reviews are interesting even if you don't agree with everything he says.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Perio

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 11:39:44 PM »
To answer your original question, google Jared Polin or Fro Knows Photo; his reviews are interesting even if you don't agree with everything he says.

Jim

Thanks Jim, will do. Are there also any books on lightning that you would suggest me read?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 11:39:44 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 12:44:30 AM »

Jim

Thanks Jim, will do. Are there also any books on lightning that you would suggest me read?

Electrical storm lightning, or lighting?  For the latter I'd suggest Bruce Dorn on Youtube; if you can get past the glasses he has some good ideas that you can use without spending a mint.  For the former, get yourself a thunderstorm, a tripod and a Nero Trigger.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Perio

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »

Jim

Electrical storm lightning, or lighting?  For the latter I'd suggest Bruce Dorn on Youtube; if you can get past the glasses he has some good ideas that you can use without spending a mint.  For the former, get yourself a thunderstorm, a tripod and a Nero Trigger.

Jim

LOL. I meant lighting  :)

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
Somebody had a bad experience with a camera club. :o

I thought everyone had a bad experience with a camera club.  :D :o :D

A camera club is a blunt instrument used to beat new members into submission and rid them of spontaneity and especially to beat any humour out of them

You sound like victims of domestic abuse.  Don't worry, darlings, they aren't all bad.  Just the ones attracted to you.  ;)

And if all it takes is the opinions and suggestions of other photographers to sap you of creativity, you never had it in the first place. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:28:02 PM by YuengLinger »

notapro

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 03:45:18 PM »
[ . . . and I'll probably get X-RITE ColorMunki Display and passport for proper colors and white balance [ . . . . ]

Perio,

You might consider also, for around $50 more (e.g., at B&H), the X-Rite i1Display Pro.  See this link for more information:

http://blog.xritephoto.com/2012/11/colormunki-display-or-i1display-pro/

Perio

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »
[ . . . and I'll probably get X-RITE ColorMunki Display and passport for proper colors and white balance [ . . . . ]

Perio,

You might consider also, for around $50 more (e.g., at B&H), the X-Rite i1Display Pro.  See this link for more information:

Funny thing, I was looking at both of these display calibrations tools and tried to find out what the major differences between them are. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far it seems the X-Rite i1Display Pro calibrates the display much faster than the X-RITE ColorMunki Display, but that's pretty much the biggest difference. Is that true or I'm missing something?

Another device I see many photogs use is a flash meter. Do you used it and if so, which one?

Thanks!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »
Somebody had a bad experience with a camera club. :o

I thought everyone had a bad experience with a camera club.  :D :o :D

A camera club is a blunt instrument used to beat new members into submission and rid them of spontaneity and especially to beat any humour out of them

You sound like victims of domestic abuse.  Don't worry, darlings, they aren't all bad.  Just the ones attracted to you.  ;)

And if all it takes is the opinions and suggestions of other photographers to sap you of creativity, you never had it in the first place.

When in an abusive relationship, leave!
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »

benperrin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Perrin Photography
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
I think if these are the first pictures you've asked to be critiqued then you've done very well. Most amateurs usually end up having way more issues than this. I think your composition and posing are fine. The main issue I see is white balance. I think number 2 is the only acceptable one here in terms of white balance. Number 1 is too cold but this is easily corrected. The others have some bad colour choices happening.

Go to kuler.adobe.com and what you want to look for is either analogous or complementary colour schemes. I'm not saying that you have to always use these but it's good to at least understand the basics.

Also bring a grey card with you to the next shoot and use that as a starting point to get your white balance right.

Honestly though, you're off to a great start and I think you have many many more great photos ahead of you. So don't give up. I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ben

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »

Perio,

Funny thing, I was looking at both of these display calibrations tools and tried to find out what the major differences between them are. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far it seems the X-Rite i1Display Pro calibrates the display much faster than the X-RITE ColorMunki Display, but that's pretty much the biggest difference. Is that true or I'm missing something?

Another device I see many photogs use is a flash meter. Do you used it and if so, which one?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I just want to say that a few months ago I was shopping for a color calibration tool and the manager of the department suggested that I go for a datacolor spyder4Elite instead of the colormunki because he was informed that pentone would be dicontuing their line of screen calibrator and service could be hard to receive if anything went wrong.  I have not verified the claim, but as the place did not sell datacolor, I think it was a credible information. It might be worth verifying.  Bear in mind I'm in Canada so things may differ elsewhere.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »