November 23, 2014, 10:04:40 PM

Author Topic: Where can I have my pictures criticized?  (Read 4859 times)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I have my pictures criticized?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »
Perio....you said you don't have much time, but one area to learn more about is post processing.  There's so much room to improve photos.  And even if you don't nail the shot, if you're good at editing you can save many images, and even turn some average shots into good shots.

I just tweaked your shot a bit to improve it's overall look to my eye

I'd point out that this is a quick edit, and also that i'm no expert at editing.

good luck.

original and then the edit.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:35:50 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »

Perio

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
Perio....you said you don't have much time, but one area to learn more about is post processing.  There's so much room to improve photos.  And even if you don't nail the shot, if you're good at editing you can save many images, and even turn some average shots into good shots.

I'd point out that this is a quick edit, and also that i'm no expert at editing.

good luck.

Thanks a lot, Northstar! I think for now I'm more concerned about technical aspects of photography and making sure I have stuff necessary for taking good pictures. But what I can't buy (at least now) is the new brain with good understanding of photography :) So, I will definitely invest some of my time into learning the lighting and post processing. As I've said before, I guess I should stop making excuses about lack of time and just start learning :) Especially since there are so many great Canon friends around  ;)

Perio

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
[ . . . and I'll probably get X-RITE ColorMunki Display and passport for proper colors and white balance [ . . . . ]

Perio,

You might consider also, for around $50 more (e.g., at B&H), the X-Rite i1Display Pro.  See this link for more information:

http://blog.xritephoto.com/2012/11/colormunki-display-or-i1display-pro/

Funny thing, I was looking at both of these display calibrations tools and tried to find out what the major differences between them are. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far it seems the X-Rite i1Display Pro calibrates the display much faster than the X-RITE ColorMunki Display, but that's pretty much the biggest difference. Is that true or I'm missing something?

Another device I see many photogs use is a flash meter. Do you used it and if so, which one?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I just want to say that a few months ago I was shopping for a color calibration tool and the manager of the department suggested that I go for a datacolor spyder4Elite instead of the colormunki because he was informed that pentone would be dicontuing their line of screen calibrator and service could be hard to receive if anything went wrong.  I have not verified the claim, but as the place did not sell datacolor, I think it was a credible information. It might be worth verifying.  Bear in mind I'm in Canada so things may differ elsewhere.

All right, thanks for info. I'll try to double check that. BH reviews on Datacolor Spyder4Elite look very good too.

Perio

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »
I think if these are the first pictures you've asked to be critiqued then you've done very well. Most amateurs usually end up having way more issues than this. I think your composition and posing are fine. The main issue I see is white balance. I think number 2 is the only acceptable one here in terms of white balance. Number 1 is too cold but this is easily corrected. The others have some bad colour choices happening.

Go to kuler.adobe.com and what you want to look for is either analogous or complementary colour schemes. I'm not saying that you have to always use these but it's good to at least understand the basics.

Also bring a grey card with you to the next shoot and use that as a starting point to get your white balance right.

Honestly though, you're off to a great start and I think you have many many more great photos ahead of you. So don't give up. I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks for your suggestions, Ben! I think one of my issues is that everyone has his own taste in terms of skin tones, saturation, etc. And I personally don't know whether it's better to make the image slightly warmer/colder, etc. Maybe it sounds silly but that's how I often feel. But practice makes perfect, so I hope I'll develop my own taste  :)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »

good luck.

this particular shot the lighting is the biggest problem the light is too low and gives the horror look which doesn't match the model.

remember light falls so for natural looking lighting ensure the key light is above the subjects face not below
APS-H Fanboy

Perio

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »

good luck.

this particular shot the lighting is the biggest problem the light is too low and gives the horror look which doesn't match the model.

remember light falls so for natural looking lighting ensure the key light is above the subjects face not below

You're correct, wickidwombat. Since it was only me and my girlfriend, and since I had no stand for the flash, I simply put it on the ground. So, it indeed was much lower than the face level. Great, thanks for your comment about the lighting "thumbs up"

benperrin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Perrin Photography
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 11:52:11 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions, Ben! I think one of my issues is that everyone has his own taste in terms of skin tones, saturation, etc. And I personally don't know whether it's better to make the image slightly warmer/colder, etc. Maybe it sounds silly but that's how I often feel. But practice makes perfect, so I hope I'll develop my own taste  :)

Yes, it is very important to develop your own style and shoot based on your own taste. Unfortunately it sometimes takes longer than we would like to get to that place but if you keep going you'll get there sooner or later. Keep it up!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 11:52:11 PM »

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 12:14:24 AM »
To answer your original question, google Jared Polin or Fro Knows Photo; his reviews are interesting even if you don't agree with everything he says.

Jim

Thanks Jim, will do. Are there also any books on lightning that you would suggest me read?
Tony Northrup: How To Create Stunning Photography and he also has to a channel on YouTube. Fro knows photo is also is a good source of info as someone has mentioned
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

Besisika

• EOS M2
  • 1DX, 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 03:56:59 AM »

good luck.

Someone said once that post production is the best teacher; I disagree but ... .
I totally agree with Northstar, find the time.
Even if you don't want to become a retoucher, understand the art of postprocessing. Once you understand it, you would shoot better and wiser, because you know what to avoid and what to look for. Like Northstar, I am far from being a good retoucher, I understand just the basics.

If I were you, I would pay attention to two things next time:
1 - White balance.
You have three light sources.
Your white balance should come from the natural light (it creates the ambient and so the mood of the photo, it creates as well the fill  and as such manages the color of the shadow). The second source is flash which created bluer color. Finally spills from the Gary Phong created different shades of green casts. If you notices in what Northstar did, he tried to clean the green in the tint, but that increases the magenta on your main light - the flash.

How to fix it next time? Less is more.
If I were you, I would use only natural light and a reflector. Orient your subject properly to give the lighing you want and then add a fill. They would have the same color. Avoid a sun comming through the leaves to hit the face of the subject.
If you want to use a flash, use something more controllable, like a softbox with honeycomb. No need to create spills all over the places. They just create reflections off the green leaves.

2 - Eyes are attracted by bright color, especially if it is in focus. Note that the arm is brighter and bigger than the face (because it is closer to the flash). Use adjustment brush in ACR to make the arm darker and the face brighter. When shooting, position the flash closer to the face and further to other exposed parts of the body (or just use long sleeves), otherwise be ready to fix it in post.
Bravo to the wife!

Besisika

• EOS M2
  • 1DX, 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 04:29:57 AM »

2 - Eyes are attracted by bright color, especially if it is in focus. Note that the arm is brighter and bigger than the face (because it is closer to the flash). Use adjustment brush in ACR to make the arm darker and the face brighter.
I found a photo, where I used adjustment brush to switch focus to the subject's face. This was shot two week-ends ago during a friend's wedding at 11 AM.
As I said, I am not good in post, but I know what I want when sending it to a retoucher.

Perio

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 03:05:25 PM »
Guys, would you suggest me keep the Fong's lightsphere or get something like this to use with on-camera 600 ex-rt?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741844-REG/Lastolite_LL_LS2420S_Ezybox_Speed_Lite.html

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2014, 08:44:54 PM »

good luck.

You're correct, wickidwombat. Since it was only me and my girlfriend, and since I had no stand for the flash, I simply put it on the ground. So, it indeed was much lower than the face level. Great, thanks for your comment about the lighting "thumbs up"

here is a good tip buy yourself a cheap gorrilla pod off ebay and keep it with your flash in this situation all you would have to have done was gorrilla pod the flash to trees branch!

also You might be over sharpening your post processing a bit be especially carefull of this on girls faces they get sensitive about every little wrinkle blemish etc. selectively paint in sharpening on the eyes hair etc if you want but leave the skin alone. same goes for clarity don't add clarity to skin period infact reduce it a bit
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2014, 08:44:54 PM »

Perio

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

good luck.

here is a good tip buy yourself a cheap gorrilla pod off ebay and keep it with your flash in this situation all you would have to have done was gorrilla pod the flash to trees branch!

also You might be over sharpening your post processing a bit be especially carefull of this on girls faces they get sensitive about every little wrinkle blemish etc. selectively paint in sharpening on the eyes hair etc if you want but leave the skin alone. same goes for clarity don't add clarity to skin period infact reduce it a bit

All right, thanks for your suggestions wickidwombat! Yes, I agree on oversharpening. I think that's because the original images did not look as sharp as I wanted them to look. I've noticed that my 200 2.0 is not that sharp when the subject is more than 10-15 feet away, but if he is within 5-10 feet, it's great (not sure why, though).

And the skin looks over sharpened also because I didn't know how to sharp just eyes and not the whole image (now I guess I learned how to do that, thank God). I just received my color passport, and I'm going to subscribe for Kelby online video courses, which includes postprocessing, lighting, reflectors, flash modifiers, etc. Thanks again!

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 06:01:05 AM »

good luck.

All right, thanks for your suggestions wickidwombat! Yes, I agree on oversharpening. I think that's because the original images did not look as sharp as I wanted them to look. I've noticed that my 200 2.0 is not that sharp when the subject is more than 10-15 feet away, but if he is within 5-10 feet, it's great (not sure why, though).

And the skin looks over sharpened also because I didn't know how to sharp just eyes and not the whole image (now I guess I learned how to do that, thank God). I just received my color passport, and I'm going to subscribe for Kelby online video courses, which includes postprocessing, lighting, reflectors, flash modifiers, etc. Thanks again!

damn you have a 200 2. lucky you! i dream of getting that i would suggest if its not razor sharp at every distance something is amiss viggo had some problems with his take it in to canon and get it checked out

i strongly suggest buying the kelby training lightroom book its a great reference and has nice tutorials you can work through
http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321934318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403172047&sr=8-1&keywords=kelby+lightroom
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 06:01:05 AM »