December 17, 2014, 09:49:18 PM

Author Topic: Canon to Release Major Updates to DPP & EOS Utility  (Read 13286 times)

shunsai

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon to Release Major Updates to DPP & EOS Utility
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »
This does make me wonder what it would take in labor to get support for more camera bodies, lenses, etc... and whether a company could get help from the user community.  Plenty of us are in software, and many users would be very happy to create a lens profile to support their uncommon/outdated lens.  I think it would be cool to have community-constructed profiles for old FD glass, third-party lenses, etc... and be able to import them into DPP.

That would be a dream come true. I still use the 28-70mm 2.8L and the 80-200mm 2.8L lenses, as well as a Tokina UWA. I would love it if these lenses had supported profiles, but I know better than to get my hopes up about that. And perhaps you're right- maybe this split software will be a permanent thing. If they insist on keeping them split, I hope that they will keep updating version 3 for a while to come. But with a software split like this, it seems more likely that 3 will fall by the wayside and get neglected till they just scuttle it altogether.

Canon is one of the few companies I purchase from that has never given me any major causes for complaint, so I have been pretty loyal to them with my camera gear purchases. I think I've bought no less than 10 different digital cameras (SLRs and point-and-shoots) and 4 or 5 different lenses (three Ls) from them over the past 15 years so I have quite a few different file formats in my collection. While this is not yet a major deal, it's still a ding in their reputation with me and may make me rethink some of my purchases from them in the future.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:50:50 PM by shunsai »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »
Performance seems pretty good in the new version. That was one of my big pet peeves with the old version was if you opened a folder with 1000 photos it would just hang for like 30 seconds to a minute doing stuff. Now it's pretty much instantaneous. The actual exporting is actually a bit slower. I did 10 photos in the old version and it took 1:57. The new version took 2:21. I'm not seeing any differences in image quality but it's possible it's there. One big bummer is nothing as far as settings seems to transfer between the two. Not even simple things like exposure or check marks. It's hard for me to want to switch unless they at least put in support for the 5D mark II. But I'm glad to see they're at least moving in the right direction. Just needs a little more work hopefully.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

tq0cr5i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2014, 11:57:44 PM »
Performance seems pretty good in the new version. That was one of my big pet peeves with the old version was if you opened a folder with 1000 photos it would just hang for like 30 seconds to a minute doing stuff. Now it's pretty much instantaneous. The actual exporting is actually a bit slower. I did 10 photos in the old version and it took 1:57. The new version took 2:21. I'm not seeing any differences in image quality but it's possible it's there. One big bummer is nothing as far as settings seems to transfer between the two. Not even simple things like exposure or check marks. It's hard for me to want to switch unless they at least put in support for the 5D mark II. But I'm glad to see they're at least moving in the right direction. Just needs a little more work hopefully.

Canon allows you to keep both 4.0 and 3.x of DPP on the same machine means your hope may not come true. It seems that the DPP team is developing the 4.x for the current full frame cameras while updating the 3.x for the rest and old cameras, till you move your BODY up for the 4.x features.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II;
CANON EF LENSES: 24mm F1.4L II, 24-105mm F4L, 40mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8 II, 50mm F2.5, 100mm F2.8L, 135mm F2L, 70-200mm F4L IS;
Canon SPEEDLITES: 430EX II, 90EX

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2014, 03:51:17 AM »
One big bummer is nothing as far as settings seems to transfer between the two. Not even simple things like exposure or check marks.

Are you saying that doing an edit in DPP3 (e.g. curves & WB edit, and star-rating) doesn't show in DPP4? :o
My edits are coming over fine  :)

For the DLO module, I wish they had the old 400mm f/2.8L IS USM in there too, like the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2014, 07:25:15 AM »
One big bummer is nothing as far as settings seems to transfer between the two. Not even simple things like exposure or check marks.

Are you saying that doing an edit in DPP3 (e.g. curves & WB edit, and star-rating) doesn't show in DPP4? :o
My edits are coming over fine  :)

For the DLO module, I wish they had the old 400mm f/2.8L IS USM in there too, like the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.
Yeah, everything I've tried so far isn't coming through. Haven't tried star ratings or looking at my curves but simple stuff like color that are in the picture style aren't coming over. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the Canon site does say recipes don't transfer between the two so I'm guessing that's where Canon is storing all that stuff in the file :(
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

JRPhotos

• Canon Guy
  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • 7DII, 24-105L, 70-300L, 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 50 1.4
    • View Profile
    • J&R Ogden Photography
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »
Here's a follow up from my last email from Canon:
-----
Thank you for following up with us.

I understand your concerns, and cannot say with certainty how many more Operating systems will support DPP v3. I know there is a plan to have DPP v4 support more than the current 4 models, so it is likely your model will be supported by DPP v4 in the near future.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS 7D. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
As things stand one version is abandoned as soon as the next is released

Support for new camera's  is only included in the latest Camera RAW plug-in and Lightroom.  In my experience (from camera clubs etc) this is more that enough to convince the less knowledgeable that an upgrade of their product is required.  Continuing support for outdated software for a reasonable period of time would eliminate this issue
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:47:33 AM by bitm2007 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »

rambarra

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »
downloaded yesterday from HK site. Nice new GUI and more sliders to play with. Still it is a very rudimental software, born at least 5/7 years old. The real big plus vs lightroom and similar is optimization of canon lenses

WHen compared to ver.3 I notice a much faster loading of the high resolution image, BUT, when playing with sliders, you have to wait AT LEAST 2/3 seconds to see the effect applied to the image (5D3 RAW files). Maybe this is only a realease candidate?

I have a fast machine (win7 3930k ssd lots of memory etc.) so this thing is a bit weird. Anyone experiencing the same?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:50:49 AM by rambarra »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »
downloaded yesterday from HK site. Nice new GUI and more sliders to play with. Still it is a very rudimental software, born at least 5/7 years old. The real big plus vs lightroom and similar is optimization of canon lenses

WHen compared to ver.3 I notice a much faster loading of the high resolution image, BUT, when playing with sliders, you have to wait AT LEAST 2/3 seconds to see the effect applied to the image (5D3 RAW files). Maybe this is only a realease candidate?

I have a fast machine (win7 3930k ssd lots of memory etc.) so this thing is a bit weird. Anyone experiencing the same?

Same here. (win 8.1, AMD FX 9590 (8-core), SSD, Radeon R9 200)

jwilbern

• Canon AE-1
  • EOS 60D, S90
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
An updated GUI?  Why, Canon, why?  I love the current DPP workflow and GUI...it makes me nostalgic for the ease of use of programs like Wordstar (Ctrl-K-K-Y to save), and the understated graphic elegance of games like Pong and Breakout.

;)
I used to love Pong. If only every user interface could be so intuitive.
EOS 60D, S90

shunsai

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
Here's a follow up from my last email from Canon:
-----
Thank you for following up with us.

I understand your concerns, and cannot say with certainty how many more Operating systems will support DPP v3. I know there is a plan to have DPP v4 support more than the current 4 models, so it is likely your model will be supported by DPP v4 in the near future.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS 7D. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

You must've been a whole lot politer than me, because you got 2 responses, and I haven't even gotten one. That's great news that they will at some point include other models. Thanks for the update!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2014, 09:06:30 AM »
Here's EOS Utility v3 (also installs v2 for older cameras), if the link hasn't been posted yet: http://support-hk.canon-asia.com/contents/HK/EN/0200373002.html

Bernd FMC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »

Also at my Machine - not the fastest Processor but all overall not a slow Computer
( Core2Duo @ 2x3.2ghz - 8GB of Ram and SSD as primary HD 660 NVidia GFX Win7x64 )

The Time for an HighQ Image to be clear seen ist shorter then the old DPP.
Some other Stuff works a bit slower.

But i am only an Hobbyist  ;D - not an Expert

Greetings - Bernd

EOS 5D Mark III - EF 17-40 f4 L - EF 24-70 f2.8 L II - EF 50 f1.4 - EF 70-200 f4 IS L - 2x 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »

Canon allows you to keep both 4.0 and 3.x of DPP on the same machine means your hope may not come true. It seems that the DPP team is developing the 4.x for the current full frame cameras while updating the 3.x for the rest and old cameras, till you move your BODY up for the 4.x features.

Here's me hoping the Mk II will get supported in the next release ;) No way I'm getting a second Mk III body.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »

Same here. (win 8.1, AMD FX 9590 (8-core), SSD, Radeon R9 200)

When used with my 5d3 files on my latest gen Mac, the sliders were pretty instantaneous... There was maybe a second to half a second delay rendering high res images, which was a big improvement... my lag time 2-3 seconds was switching from crop mode to other modes, or from dust removal mode to other modes... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »