September 01, 2014, 10:59:19 AM

Author Topic: 1D X for Below US$5,000  (Read 840 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
1D X for Below US$5,000
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
I am posting this for two reasons:

1) I find it interesting to see what is happening to the price of the 1D X around the world; and

2) One (1) person may be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and buy it!

I have never seen the 1D X this cheap before.

At Duty Free in Hong Kong they have a 1D X on sale for HK$ 38,320 which is roughly US$ 4943.

I asked the salesman about this deal and he said it had been going on for a month or two now (I need to check prices at the airport more often, as normally they are more expensive than in town so I normally do not bother), but they now only have one camera left in stock at that price. Once it is sold the price will revert to HK$ 47,XXX which is more than what you would pay in town.

The camera is brand new, original of course and comes with China/HK warranty, plus a silly canvas Canon 1D X bag.

I did not buy it, but it was there a few hours ago!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:33:48 PM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

1D X for Below US$5,000
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »

canonistic

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X for Below US$5,000
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
They've been promoted on here for $4999 recently. The only thing is they are "grey market" cameras. Made by Canon but NOT imported by usa canon.  If you read between the lines it would appear canon is clearing out inventory, the camera is several years old and a replacement seems imminent. Read the story about NL testing a 1dx with similar pixel count to a 5d3 but with MUCH improved color.

If you want one for $5,000 you can find them, for now, but waiting MIGHT be the best option.....

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
They've been promoted on here for $4999 recently. The only thing is they are "grey market" cameras. Made by Canon but NOT imported by usa canon.  If you read between the lines it would appear canon is clearing out inventory, the camera is several years old and a replacement seems imminent. Read the story about NL testing a 1dx with similar pixel count to a 5d3 but with MUCH improved color.

If you want one for $5,000 you can find them, for now, but waiting MIGHT be the best option.....

The Canon 1D X only started shipping 2 years ago, so its not due for a replacement quite yet.  Nikon updated the older D4 with some minor changes.  There might also be a minor upgrade for Canon.  There are always test cameras out in the field, so the presence of test cameras does not mean that a new one is imminent.
The economy is bad and not improving, so the market determines the price level.  It costs less to keep churning them out at lower prices than to shut down production.
If a new model is announced this fall, it will likely not be available until spring - summer of 2015. 

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »
It's coming up to three years old if you factor in since announcement. It would of been much sooner had it not of been due to the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan.

Still, 3-4 years is a good timeline. I wouldn't expect Canon to drop the price to clear inventory? Has that ever happened prior to an announcement? I can't think of it ever happening before?
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
It's coming up to three years old if you factor in since announcement. It would of been much sooner had it not of been due to the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan.

Still, 3-4 years is a good timeline. I wouldn't expect Canon to drop the price to clear inventory? Has that ever happened prior to an announcement? I can't think of it ever happening before?

It definitely didn't with the 1D Mark IV, at least, not that I can remember.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »