November 27, 2014, 05:25:49 PM

Author Topic: EOS-1D X & EOS 5D Mark III Replacements in 2015 [CR1]  (Read 20565 times)

Austin

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: EOS-1D X & EOS 5D Mark III Replacements in 2015 [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
I think its too soon for 5D3 refresh but this would be my list for me to buy a 5d4.

Stills Side

1. Blinky AF point
2. Linked AF point Spot Metering
3. 1/250th Sync speed bump. (1/500 would be even more sweet)
4. Built in RT transmitter
5. 7 FPS bump and improved buffer for dual card writing. (pitiful if you use the SD card slot currently.)
6. Dual CF or SD, just pick one or the other.
7. Add dual custom buttons like the 1Dx besides the lens mount.
8??. Did anyone notice the second curtain sync C-fn through PC sync missing in the mk3? I was positive this was on my 5Dc or the 5D2...
9. Make the Rate button do something else beside's rate and protect. :/
10. Slight screen bump in resolution/size and/or Touchscreen with optional toggle.
11. Lastly, Any ISO/IQ/Resolution bump is nice but these other features are much more important to me.

Video side.

1. DPAF
2. 4K
3. RAW Video Internally (if possible, Magic lantern will get it anyway.)
4. Peaking
5. Crop Mode 1080P

Thats all I could think of at this moment. Its mostly little stuff and if canon doesn't include the majority of these things, I won't upgrade.

Edit.

12. I would like glowing buttons like on the D4s.

You are only going to get that on their flagship model! Be reasonable! All that would make the 1DX obsolete!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
I think its too soon for 5D3 refresh but this would be my list for me to buy a 5d4.

Stills Side

1. Blinky AF point
5. 7 FPS bump and improved buffer for dual card writing. (pitiful if you use the SD card slot currently.)
8??. Did anyone notice the second curtain sync C-fn through PC sync missing in the mk3? I was positive this was on my 5Dc or the 5D2...
10. Slight screen bump in resolution/size and/or Touchscreen with optional toggle.
11. Lastly, Any ISO/IQ/Resolution bump is nice but these other features are much more important to me.

Video side.

1. DPAF
2. 4K
3. RAW Video Internally (if possible, Magic lantern will get it anyway.)
4. Peaking
5. Crop Mode 1080P

Thats all I could think of at this moment. Its mostly little stuff and if canon doesn't include the majority of these things, I won't upgrade.

Edit.

You are only going to get that on their flagship model! Be reasonable! All that would make the 1DX obsolete!
Well, canon will then have to be reasonable for not getting my money. Which I'm sure they won't mind and I wouldn't either.  ;D

adamfilip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »
13. RAW HDR
14. RAW Multiple Exposure
15. Illuminated buttons (all of them, for working in dark)
16. 4K Video @ 60fps
17. 1080P video @ 240 fps
18. Special Macro optimized Focus mode..
19. better shutter button texture / feel
20. Simplifed WIFI setup / Easier Faster
21. 40+MP

1. Blinky AF point

VelocideX

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 10:47:04 PM »
I would be most interested in:
1) Removal of low-ISO banding
2) Improved high ISO performance
3) Greater DR

Even an improvement of 1/2 a stop in terms of ISO noise performance is pretty significant - it can be the difference between an unusable and usable image.  ISO 12800 is still usable in many circumstances (ISO 25600 only with super aggressive). 

Other sensors have improved noise characteristics compared to the 5D3 in some respects, so clearly this is possible.

The usability issues are pretty minor for me. 

Austin

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
Well, canon will then have to be reasonable for not getting my money.

Well, you've put them in quite a position. Your move Canon!

Austin

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 11:19:48 PM »
13. RAW HDR
14. RAW Multiple Exposure
15. Illuminated buttons (all of them, for working in dark)
16. 4K Video @ 60fps
17. 1080P video @ 240 fps
18. Special Macro optimized Focus mode..
19. better shutter button texture / feel
20. Simplifed WIFI setup / Easier Faster
21. 40+MP

1. Blinky AF point

It appears you forgot the built-in Fleshlight.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »
Very skeptical. It would have to be something very revolutionary to make me want to upgrade my 5DIII.

Only thing that comes to mind that would tempt me would be using DPAF to eliminate the need for AFMA – Camera looks at the on-sensor focus and then calibrates the lens to get precise focus through the viewfinder.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »

Stills Side

1. Blinky AF point
11. Lastly, Any ISO/IQ/Resolution bump is nice but these other features are much more important to

Numbers 1 and 2 would be great.  Your number 4 item is odd, who here would want dual SD only?  I'd venture to say most, if not all, users with cameras at this level are well invested in CF cards. 
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Chaitanya

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 11:45:44 PM »

The D4s has glowing buttons you say ???????????

That's it, I'm deserting to Nikon.

Both nikon D4/s had glow in dark buttons. Olympus slr was the first one to come with glow in dark buttons. (Image taken from fstopper)

I would like to see Cfast 2.0 card slots instead of cf which is ageing memory card standard.

dufflover

• EOS M2
  • OH YEAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 12:02:05 AM »

+1 ... nice list, although I like having 1 CF, 1 SD slot . I have a high speed CF, and I use an Eye-fi in the SD slot to transfer Medium sized JPGs

Mate get real - you pretty much want a 1D-X level camera. Canon aren't going to give you all that in a 5-series. Even the dual CF slots looks pretty exclusive to the 1-series. Cameras like the 6D show a willingness to dumb stuff down between models and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Hurry up Canon and do something with your sensors! :P

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 12:17:46 AM »

+1 ... nice list, although I like having 1 CF, 1 SD slot . I have a high speed CF, and I use an Eye-fi in the SD slot to transfer Medium sized JPGs

Mate get real - you pretty much want a 1D-X level camera. Canon aren't going to give you all that in a 5-series. Even the dual CF slots looks pretty exclusive to the 1-series. Cameras like the 6D show a willingness to dumb stuff down between models and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Nothing in that list says I need a 12+ FPS, All day battery, Ridiculous ISO performing, Large gripped sports machine gun. I expect the 1Dxi to deliver much more than that list.

No that list completes what already was darn near a perfect wedding/portrait/studio camera.

Antono Refa

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 12:24:21 AM »
Biggest complaint about the 5d III is that they limited the SD-card slot to Class 10 speeds. Amateur hour.

I think it's intentional crippling - if the SD slot had UHS-I, it would compete with the 1D X's 2nd CF slot.

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 12:59:57 AM »
If the 5DIV releases next summer that will be a neat and tidy average for the 5D lifecycle.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 12:59:57 AM »

benperrin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Perrin Photography
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 01:20:32 AM »
If the 5DIV releases next summer that will be a neat and tidy average for the 5D lifecycle.
I'd love it to be the case. I have the 5d2 and the upgrade to the 3 wasn't worth it to me so the mark 4 will definitely be on my radar.

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 01:25:52 AM »
Totally nailed the refresh on each of these cameras! Now the fun part....

I think the 5DIII is an excellent camera. But I think they failed big time by not having built-in WiFi and removable focus screen. How can they make it better? Resolve these two issues. If it has built in WiFi, have dual CF slots. None of this SD silliness. Built in GPS would be nice. A built-in transmitter/controller for their flash units as someone mentioned earlier. That's an excellent idea. Minimum three groups to control. Five would be better. Better ISO performance and maybe a stop higher on the top end. Maybe an extra stop better in color dynamic range. USB3/Thunderbolt.  I don't care much about video... But I think they'll have 4k in it....

The 5DIII is an amazing camera as-is. I think it would take a huge improvement and fantastic new functions for people to upgrade.

I would love to have a 1DX as my workhorse, do-anything camera. The refresh would have to be something out of this world to make make it a worthy update. Built-in WiFi and GPS. An extra stop in upper ISO performance would be nice. But I would rather see SUPERIOR ISO performance from 100 - 50k. Built-in radio transmitter/controller for flash units. Remove the network connector and replace with USB3 and Thunderbolt. Color dynamic range and sharpness that is approaching Medium Format. Again, I couldn't care less about video so... But I think they'll have more and improved video and this will require CFast.

I have a feeling that with the new uber-lenses from Zeiss and Sigma, that they had insider information on Canon's latest. Yes, the Nikon D800(x) can take advantage of these lenses. But that's a tiny tiny market. So in terms of sensor performance, I'm hoping we'll see tech. that will take us into the next 5 -7 years.... Like the previous sensors.

Since it looks like the big MP is not going to happen after all, I think they are going to make the 1DX upgrade a little more suitable for fashion/landscape photographers. The 1DX. Maybe the best overall DSLR in the world. Is really a sports shooter's camera. Sure it's good enough for other uses. But Medium Format is the future for certain pros.

The new Pentax 645Z is currently the in-between camera. Similar AF and ISO performance of the better DSLRs. Better image quality than a top DSLR, but not like the Phase One or Hassy. And certainly cheaper than the Phase One and Hassy. If I was a full time wedding or event photographer, I'd probably go with the Pentax 645Z. Even with the bucks a wedding photographer can make, having a couple of Phase Ones would be crazy money. But two 645Zs is totally doable. And the wedding business is HUGE. If Canon wants to keep and grow their market, they gotta compete with MF.

It's going to be a tough 6 months!!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:01:09 AM by RGomezPhotos »
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 01:25:52 AM »