October 23, 2014, 09:07:14 AM

Author Topic: Update - Product Advisory for EOS 5D Mark III LCD Illumination Exposure Issue  (Read 4964 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors

UPDATE:
Please see the changes to the “Identification Procedure” section below regarding criteria for affected serial numbers. The identification method has been enhanced to include the first digit in the identification procedure in order to more precisely identify affected products.

Thank you for using Canon products.

Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has concluded the investigation of this phenomenon, and this announcement informs you of our findings as described below.

Phenomenon
In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, based on the results of extensive testing this change in exposure value will not noticeably affect the captured image.

Affected Product
The phenomenon described above may occur in Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Cameras whose first and sixth digits of the serial number are as set forth below.

Identification Procedure:
Serial Number: [XnnnnNnnnnnn]
“X”=”0″ and “N”=”1″ or “2″
“n” represents any digit.
Examples of affected serial numbers are: “0nnnn1nnnnnn” or”0nnnn2nnnnnn”

Support
Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Mine was bought well after the fix, and has a serial number 06202400XXXX.

In any event, I found that removing the lens cap results in better photos :D

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Wasn't this issue already discussed months ago? Or, this is the first time Canon officially acknowledges that there is an issue?
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  70-300L  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

duydaniel

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Question is if that is worth it sending your camera to Canon? I have never shot in total darkness but never say never  ;D

duydaniel

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography link=topic=21486.msg408417#msg408417

Well, if you happen to own a Nikon d800, you will notice less banding and higher resolution when shooting with lens cap on.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Here comes the lens cap story
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Hi,
Here comes the lens cap story
   When you shoot with lens cap on, current Canon DSLR will produce an image with mean value of 2048. Nikon DSLR will give a mean value of 0, so the "black" of current Canon DSLR start from 2048 and Nikon DSLR start from 0.

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

terryh2c

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Your 5D MarkIII link is only useful for the USA. Any link for the other 95% of us out there?

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Mine was bought well after the fix, and has a serial number 06202400XXXX.

Lol!!! made my day, mate!
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

Ha Ha Ha  ;D

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Given the amount of chatter about camera replacement dates, the 5DIV possibly within the next year isn't it reasonable to give some cudos to Canon for this free fix. I can think of a few other strategies they could have employed  ::)

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Just to be clear, "LCD panel" is the display on the back or the "dashboard" on top?

UPDATE:  User manual (p 21) says panel is the top display.

So, if this happens to be on when you happen to be shooting in the dark...One workaround would be to use the Quick menu?

But really, I believe Canon in this case, that the effect is negligible.

But this issue goes ALL THE WAY BACK to within the first few months of the 5DIII's release, right?  And the fix with black electrical tape?

PS  Thank you CR, for posting this advisory.  Canon did not alert me or friends who have a paid CPS account.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:47:56 AM by YuengLinger »

Maximilian

• Canon 6D
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
Your 5D MarkIII link is only useful for the USA. Any link for the other 95% of us out there?
Hi terry and welcome to CR.

Ever thought of checking your local Canon homepage?
Canon US is pretty fast on such product advisories so manybe your local Canon HP is following within the next few days.
And if you tell us the next time where "out there" in your case is, then maybe someone is d**b enough to do the search for you.

sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
But this issue goes ALL THE WAY BACK to within the first few months of the 5DIII's release, right?  And the fix with black electrical tape?

It's the same advisory, Canon just updated the serial number range for affected cameras.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

It's the same advisory, Canon just updated the serial number range for affected cameras.

Thanks, Neuro.

canon rumors FORUM