September 22, 2014, 02:18:57 PM

Author Topic: D810!!!  (Read 17412 times)

Maximilian

• Canon 70D
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
Re: D810!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 02:22:12 AM »
Competition is good! Challenging competition is even better!

In the end it's up to the customer’s needs, taste and choice which product is really competitive.
(And sometimes to the marketing departments).
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 02:22:12 AM »

Quackator

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 03:08:18 AM »
For still photography the improvements overall seem incremental,
with just one exception: "The d810 has the same AF module as the D4S",
says the German Nikon website.

So, there will be a D4S out soon as well.

The biggest upgrade though is in video mode with 1080 p60 available
and many other video details improved.

Yes, this looks like a very good piece of equipment.

Roo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 03:24:09 AM »
I hope it is a really great camera, and sets some new standards.  Will I switch?  Nope.  I love the competition that will make things better for us all.

Frankly I wish Nikon well, but I'm not that interested in what they do.  To be honest, I have a lot invested in lenses, bodies, giizmos, etc., and I spend a lot of time and effort improving my photographic skills.  What I have discovered is that it isn't the hardware that is my limiting factor. 

Improvements in technology will help me get better, but so far, my beloved 5DIII, pooped on or not, still has plenty of head room for me to improve.

sek

+1

Agreed
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 03:25:11 AM »
The camera can do ISO 32 and 64??!! WHAAAAAT?!

When DxO gets their copy of the D810, it will be interesting to see where ISO32 and ISO64 fit onto the ISO sensitivity graph.

It may be that ISO32 and ISO64 are achieved in software or...

It may be that Nikon have looked at the ISO response graph that DxO produce and decided that since their claim of ISO 100 is actually ISO64 that they may as well provide an ISO64 option. What this will mean for the rest of the ISO values remains to be seen.

And yes, if you look at the ISO sensitivity graph for most DLSRs, you will see points on the graph not aligning with the "ISO100", "ISO200", etc, graph lines but somewhere below (or above) them.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 03:26:54 AM »
I hope it is a really great camera, and sets some new standards.  Will I switch?  Nope.  I love the competition that will make things better for us all.

Frankly I wish Nikon well, but I'm not that interested in what they do.  To be honest, I have a lot invested in lenses, bodies, giizmos, etc., and I spend a lot of time and effort improving my photographic skills.  What I have discovered is that it isn't the hardware that is my limiting factor. 

Improvements in technology will help me get better, but so far, my beloved 5DIII, pooped on or not, still has plenty of head room for me to improve.

Summary: Canon owns you as a consumer for photographic equipment.

But don't worry, this is the same boat that a lot of Canon owners are on... and Canon like that boat having as many people as possible on board.

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 03:38:54 AM »
I feel sorry for Nikon owners.
It doesn't matter what model they buy, even when first released, as a few months down the track, Nikon will bring out a new and improved version of it making your current model obsolete and now worth substantially less than it cost you. Remember the D600 then the 610?
Canon does hang onto models much longer, and hence they have better re-sale value later on as say, after 3 years, your Canon may be just superseded, but if you had an equivalent Nikon, it would be 3 models old and practically worthless.

I'm not saying that Nikon cameras are no good, in fact, they are very good indeed, but constant model updates is not how you keep up the perceived and resale value of products.
It also makes it more difficult regarding spare parts too, as many models mean lots of parts and distributors only have so much space and money for parts.

mustafaakarsu

• Power Shot G16
  • 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 04:22:42 AM »
For still photography the improvements overall seem incremental,
with just one exception: "The d810 has the same AF module as the D4S",
says the German Nikon website.

So, there will be a D4S out soon as well.

It's been on sale for a while.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 04:22:42 AM »

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 04:28:59 AM »
Damn Canon are taking their time with new sensor technology... having the better lens lineup will not be an excuse for long, as having tried the black ones from the opposition, not lagging too far behind there Nikon either.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 04:48:42 AM »
Ah...another Nikon warm over...nothing new here, no revolution and erm lets hope it sells better than their last few models.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »
D810 is a good mid-cyle update of D800/E and makes a very good camera even a bit better.
But ... there is a problem: pricing!

Nikon is trying to pull budget-street-priced D800 from the market and replace it with D810, that does not cost a cent more to build but would yield 1 grand more gross margin per unit.

But who will buy D180?
* Changes are not big enough to cause massive upgrades from existing D800/E owners
* People who want or need a D4/s or 1D-X will still get one of those
* Most Nikon DX / abandoned D300s owners willing to upgrade to DX are likely to pick up a D800 while supplies last, rather than paying 1000 more for a slightly better D810
* other "newcomers" to FF got a choice between D810 or 5D 3 @ at 500 less. Or Sony A7R at abaout half the D810 price.
ooops ... nowwho will buy the D810 in that scenario?

Nikon should have launched the D810 aggressively at USD/€ 1,999 .... that might have re-sparked interest.

And they should have added at least WiFi plus wireless tethering App for iOS and Android. After all, we're in2014 and not 2011.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 05:37:31 AM »
It doesn't matter what model they buy, even when first released, as a few months down the track, Nikon will bring out a new and improved version of it making your current model obsolete and now worth substantially less than it cost you. Remember the D600 then the 610?
Canon does hang onto models much longer, and hence they have better re-sale value later on as say, after 3 years, your Canon may be just superseded, but if you had an equivalent Nikon, it would be 3 models old and practically worthless.

I'm not saying that Nikon cameras are no good, in fact, they are very good indeed, but constant model updates is not how you keep up the perceived and resale value of products.
It also makes it more difficult regarding spare parts too, as many models mean lots of parts and distributors only have so much space and money for parts.

I feel sorry for people who buy cameras based on how much they can sell them for.

If your camera is in good enough condition to be sold as "mint" or "near mint" condition then you obviously haven't used it very much.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 05:55:28 AM »

I feel sorry for people who buy cameras based on how much they can sell them for.

If your camera is in good enough condition to be sold as "mint" or "near mint" condition then you obviously haven't used it very much.

While I can understand this for lenses....for camera bodies, they are a depreciating asset. Every camera body I have bought has dropped in resale value over the three years I have owned them. The lenses i have bought have generally been worth more over time due to inflation and increasing prices year on year. My 16-35IIL cost me £850 new, it's still worth close to that S/H and new they are nearly £1200. My 85 f1.2 II L cost me £1200, it's worth nearly that S/H and it's new price is between £1500 and £1800 depending where you buy it. 

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 06:12:03 AM »

While I can understand this for lenses....for camera bodies, they are a depreciating asset. Every camera body I have bought has dropped in resale value over the three years I have owned them. The lenses i have bought have generally been worth more over time due to inflation and increasing prices year on year. My 16-35IIL cost me £850 new, it's still worth close to that S/H and new they are nearly £1200. My 85 f1.2 II L cost me £1200, it's worth nearly that S/H and it's new price is between £1500 and £1800 depending where you buy it.

Camera bodies are electronic devices like your iPad, iPhone, iMac and depreciate accordingly as their function degrades.

I sometimes wonder if the people that care most about the resale value are those that are always running with a month to month non-$0 debt on their credit card and thus see the resale value as being a way to gain back that lost debt, so to speak.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 06:12:03 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »
Nikonian linguistic analysis: the -10 suffix translates to 'fixing a problem'.  The SB910 fixed the thermal issues of the SB900.  The D610 fixed the oil spatter and banned-from-sale-in-China-debacle of the D600.  The D810 fixes the problem Nikon had of producing both the D800 and D800E. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »
Nikonian linguistic analysis: the -10 suffix translates to 'fixing a problem'.  The SB910 fixed the thermal issues of the SB900.  The D610 fixed the oil spatter and banned-from-sale-in-China-debacle of the D600.  The D810 fixes the problem Nikon had of producing both the D800 and D800E.

I wonder if there is a neuroanatomist-10 in the nikon forums...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »