October 01, 2014, 05:30:25 PM

Author Topic: Should we tell them?  (Read 7042 times)

The Mad Kiwi

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Should we tell them?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 07:25:27 PM »
I offer people unsolicited advice all the time and have never had anything but positive feedback. Mostly I offer compositional advice or posing advice. If I see people taking a family photograph when I'm out, often I just take over and organise peoples family photo for them, tell everybody where and how to stand and how to frame a photo and take it for them. Most people are pretty happy when the get a professional family photograph for free. I suppose in the end peoples reaction will depend on the quality of the advice and how it's delivered.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 07:25:27 PM »

Besisika

• EOS M2
  • 1DX, 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:20 PM »
I suppose in the end peoples reaction will depend on the quality of the advice and how it's delivered.
Must be!
I have never had good luck with that. I guess, I need to work on my charm.
For now, I prefer being asked.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 03:55:31 AM »
Hi jebrady.
I think when I offered advice, I started out with ,
"Hi I'm sorry to intrude, but I notice you seem to be battling with the camera for control of the flash? Would you like a little tip to give you the upper hand?"
It seemed to work, a little lighthearted humour seemed to work, of course the pop up flash is probably the easiest subject to tell they could use a tip!
I'm glad to see that some of you would offer unsolicited advice, I know if I was struggling and someone offered me advice I would gladly accept, I doubt I would ask for fear of them being unappreciative of the interruption!

Cheers Graham.

I have no problem helping complete strangers.  I see offering some unsolicited photography advice much the same as I see holding the door for someone, picking up something the dropped and bringing it to them, etc.  You're just being polite.  And I think as long as you do it in a nice way there shouldn't be any problems with practically anyone.  Saying something like: "hey, that's a nice camera.  I'm a bit of a tech geek, do you mind if I ask what model it is?  **they answer**  Oh cool!  I've heard a lot of good things about that model - what do you think of it?"  That right there will usually uncover frustration on their part.  Then I'd say something like "if you're interested, I might know a way to help".  If they say no then I'd respond with something like "yeah, like I said, I'm a tech geek so I don't like people touching my stuff either" then I'd smile and tell them to have a good day.  If they take offense well... that's a reflection on them, not me.  But more than likely, you're going to end up helping them.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
Hi jebrady.
I think when I offered advice, I started out with ,
"Hi I'm sorry to intrude, but I notice you seem to be battling with the camera for control of the flash? Would you like a little tip to give you the upper hand?"
It seemed to work, a little lighthearted humour seemed to work, of course the pop up flash is probably the easiest subject to tell they could use a tip!
I'm glad to see that some of you would offer unsolicited advice, I know if I was struggling and someone offered me advice I would gladly accept, I doubt I would ask for fear of them being unappreciative of the interruption!

Cheers Graham.

PERFECT!  Social etiquette goes a long way!  :-)

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »
I never offer unsolicited advice.  If asked, I'll tell you what you want to know.  The only time I'll offer advice is to friends and family that I know well and that I know will take it as advice and not criticism.

That is my attitude too.  It is not my job to educate people unless they ask to be educated.

I think too many people worry too much what too many other people do.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 04:17:01 AM »
I never offer unsolicited advice.  If asked, I'll tell you what you want to know.  The only time I'll offer advice is to friends and family that I know well and that I know will take it as advice and not criticism.

That is my attitude too.  It is not my job to educate people unless they ask to be educated.

Happy to help someone out BUT only if they ask - no time/intention to give unsolicited advice to strangers as I'd be very annoyed myself if someone came over to me and show me how to shoot properly. 
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 05:30:39 AM »
Hi Menace.
Do you wait to be asked to open the door for the person struggling to get through it, or do you step forwards when someone is having difficulties, burdened with shopping, to frail to overcome the self closing mechanism, disabled?
I saw someone struggling with their camera, and stepped forwards, too far removed from the door analogy?  :)

Cheers Graham.
Ps I guess if you take time to answer help topics you probably hold the door!

Happy to help someone out BUT only if they ask - no time/intention to give unsolicited advice to strangers as I'd be very annoyed myself if someone came over to me and show me how to shoot properly.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 05:30:39 AM »

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2014, 06:26:08 AM »
Hi Menace.
Do you wait to be asked to open the door for the person struggling to get through it, or do you step forwards when someone is having difficulties, burdened with shopping, to frail to overcome the self closing mechanism, disabled?
I saw someone struggling with their camera, and stepped forwards, too far removed from the door analogy?  :)

Cheers Graham.
Ps I guess if you take time to answer help topics you probably hold the door!

You be glad to know that I'll be first to help any old, infirm, pregnant, disabled person without a 2nd thought - however someone having an issue with their camera settings (a hobby) is not really the same.

I'm a very friendly guy and love nothing better than talking cameras and lenses but my personal experiences have been mostly negative when I've offered to help someone out without being asked so now I wait until someone wants my assistance then I'm happy to help out.

I also do not like to come across as a 'know it all' - giving free advice willy nilly to strangers but always happy to help if asked.

1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »
I offer people unsolicited advice all the time and have never had anything but positive feedback. Mostly I offer compositional advice or posing advice. If I see people taking a family photograph when I'm out, often I just take over and organise peoples family photo for them, tell everybody where and how to stand and how to frame a photo and take it for them. Most people are pretty happy when the get a professional family photograph for free. I suppose in the end peoples reaction will depend on the quality of the advice and how it's delivered.

I've found that people only hand me their camera if they've only briefly looked at mine. I think the outline of a 1 series makes everyone assume you are a pro but when they see just how battered it is they seem to think twice before handing me their gear. The cracked lens hood on the 70-200 which is superglued back together and then there are the big patches of missing paint on the hump of the prism where the camera has quickly been dropped on the ground and scraped a bit looks a bit tatty :)

The only place I will give unsolicited advice is at the zoo when people are using flash in the bits where you shouldn't be. I don't mind if people are ruining their photos but at least they shouldn't scare the animals.

Funnily enough the Olympic arena had led lights to simulate flashes in the stands, I never realised until I sat there.

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:13 PM »
I am happy to offer advice but only if they seem  to be struggling and I know what the solution is! I am always careful to make sure that I don't make them look like an idiot and also that I don't make myself look like one!

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 11:56:28 PM »
I've found that people only hand me their camera if they've only briefly looked at mine.

This happened to me this past weekend. A young couple had asked me to take their photo and since they have a Nikon J1, I politely asked if it is ready to shoot? The guy replied that "with the gear you have, you know more than us and should be able to figure it out". I had the 6d with 24-105 at that time. Wasn't quite sure how to react but just asked them to pose and half pressed the shutter button. After I saw the camera was doing face detection, I proceeded to press the shutter button all the way. Took a couple of shots which I hope they liked.

I guess I should take the comment as a compliment    ::)

Back to topic. I would only give camera advice if solicited, specially to strangers.  Some people's egos are just too fragile.
Bodies: Canon 6D, 70D, T2i gripped, EOS 5, EOS 100, EOS M
Lenses:EF 24-105 F4L, EF 70-200 F2.8L mkII, EF 100 F2.8L,  EF 50 F1.8, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-80 USM, EF-M 22, Rokinon 8mm HD Fisheye, M mount adapter
Other : 540EZ, 320EX, 430EX II, Yongnuo triggers & strobist stuff

shumi31

• Power Shot G16
  • Never Give up
    • View Profile
    • Clipping Path India
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 04:42:35 AM »

Don't bother. If they cared enough to learn they probably would have sought the answer themselves. Giving people unsolicited advice generally ends with both upset.

I am fully agree with you and I can say this from my own experience!

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »

Funnily enough the Olympic arena had led lights to simulate flashes in the stands, I never realised until I sat there.

I am not sure I understand this.  Could you explain this a bit more?
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »