October 01, 2014, 10:49:31 PM

Author Topic: Help on Selling Used Equipment  (Read 2488 times)

IgotGASbadDude

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Help on Selling Used Equipment
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »
Long time lurker here at CR, 1st thread started.  I see regular posters talking about how much gear they've sold over the years and I'm curious: what methods have you used to successfully sell photography gear?

I currently have only used Craigslist, but man, the scammers make it a frustrating experience.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!  ;D

P.S. I'm trying to find a new home for a system I NEVER use since I replaced it with a 5D3 and a couple of "L" lenses:

(Canon 7D with 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens, Canon - BG-E7 Battery Grip, Watson - LP-E6 Battery)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:06:32 PM by IgotGASbadDude »
5D3, 70-200 L, 16-35 L, Sigma 50 1.4 Art
7D, 28-135, 70-300
And about a million miscellaneous photo items!

canon rumors FORUM

Help on Selling Used Equipment
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Re: Help on Selling Used Equipment
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
I've used that big auction site to buy and sell.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

IgotGASbadDude

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:04:24 PM »
You mean the one that starts with the 5th letter of the alphabet followed by a word that rhymes with day?  ::)
7D, 28-135, 70-300

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
You mean the one that starts with the 5th letter of the alphabet followed by a word that rhymes with day?  ::)
I use them too, begrudgingly.  The 10% fee and dealing with PaynotyourPal can be a real pain, but it's where I have gotten the best prices for my stuff.  Good photos are they key to selling there, and don't fall for the "What's the shutter count" scam, and ALWAYS communicate through their messaging system.  NEVER use email or any other form of communication as they scammers exploit it like crazy. Also, always check your MyeBay page and PayPal to make sure you have received payment before shipping.  Some of the scammers send you fake "Paid, Ship Now" emails (hence the tip on not using email or sharing your email address".  Also, International shipments can take weeks to clear customs and PayPal will hold your $$$ until the person signs for it, at least for people with under 100 feedback or recent electronics sales.  My $$$ was held for 6 weeks for a shipment to Isreal, but I finally got paid when the buyer signed for it.  Also, always obscure the serial # in photos.  I'm sure there are other tips to avoid scams, but those are a few of the ones that they've to do to me.

Craiglist is great for some stuff (not electronics!), but always meet in a very public place to avoid being robbed.

IgotGASbadDude

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
Craiglist is great for some stuff (not electronics!), but always meet in a very public place to avoid being robbed.

Thanks for the advice. Since I've never used the "big auction house" I'm leery of trying it.

I have successfully sold a $6,500 Harley, my D3200 system (why did I buy Nikon?  :o) and a monopod that came "free" with my 5D3 purchase. 3 for three using Craigslist.

But I live by the same rule, in person and in public only.

I was hoping there was some reputable used photography buy/sell site you regulars have had success with.  :-[
7D, 28-135, 70-300

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Since I've never used the "big auction house" I'm leery of trying it.

I have successfully sold a $6,500 Harley, my D3200 system (why did I buy Nikon?  :o ) and a monopod that came "free" with my 5D3 purchase. 3 for three using Craigslist.

But I live by the same rule, in person and in public only.

I was hoping there was some reputable used photography buy/sell site you regulars have had success with.  :-[

Fred Miranda is a very good and reputable site for selling your gear, but, like other sites, it depends on reputation from past sales. Ebay is the same, reputation counts.

You can sell your gear to Adorama, or some of the other used photography dealers, but you take a big hit for being able to get a quick sale.

Craigslist has implemented some new procedures that seem to have knocked most of the automated scammers out.  You no longer publish your phone or e-mail address in the open for robots to scan.  It works pretty well for me.  Some don't get it, and still put their phone number in the text.

The thing with selling on craigslist is to have a fair price, a good description and photos, and don't sound paranoid with all kinds of threats about Nigerian scammers, etc.  Just specify that you will meet the buyer in a safe location like a bank or a Starbucks, and that you want cash only with no shipping.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »
I've used eBay forever. Never had any problem but I follow the rules and I'm careful. I buy more often than I sell though.

I liked it better before it was taken over by professional sellers and was more of a massive garage sale site. But times change.

My experience is that you generally pay and receive a fair price because there is enough competition for the market to set the prices. You generally won't get absolutely top dollar and you won't find any "steals" but you'll sell your item at a fair price and the transaction will go smoothly if you are honest and follow the system.

I'm willing to pay a little more for the convenience of doing everything from the safety of my home and not having the risk that comes with having to meet someone in person carrying either a valuable item or a bunch of cash.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »
I would also point out that most folks don't do well selling 'packages' so break your gear into 3 parts, each lens, and the body with grip/battery.  Keep in mind refurb prices as selling at or above that level won't happen.  Otherwise, Craigslist has been good to me, took a bit longer to sell my 85mm 1.2L II than I thought, but it did sell.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »
CL works but as said above be realistic with how much you ask.  Your used gear may not be worth what you think it is.... in other words it's used and has no warranty and therefore is worth less than what new with warranty or refurb with warranty is going for *today*.... for example what you paid for it 3 years ago from your local camera shop when Canon just released it is irrelevant now.  Seriously I see people posting used flashes for example and stating "Two years old, lightly used, was $600 new, asking only $450"... meanwhile a brand new 600EXrt is for sale at the local shop or B&H for $499 or less.

And yes, always state in your post that you will only sell local and for cash.  And stick to that.

IgotGASbadDude

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »
Seriously I see people posting used flashes for example and stating "Two years old, lightly used, was $600 new, asking only $450"... meanwhile a brand new 600EXrt is for sale at the local shop or B&H for $499 or less.

As a part of my GAS affliction, I'm pretty much always checking CL to see what photo gear is selling in my local area.

Whenever I see something of interest I go to B&H and Amazon to check the price new and used. I'm constantly amazed at the amount people expect to get. Countless times I've said to myself, "why is he asking that price when I can get the same thing brand new for 5% more than he's asking for used."

I believe that B&H used prices are fair because they grade each item. Amazon "used" is more of a guideline for me--not going to give it away like the lowest price (who is often the lowest rated seller) but not expecting the high end price.

P.S. I just had a guy ask if I'd be willing to "rent" the system for a couple of hours. He77 no! And Halfrack hit on a great point, I just received an inquiry as to my willingness to sell the two lenses separate from the camera/grip. We'll see how that turns out . . .
7D, 28-135, 70-300

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »
Pricing tip for buyers and sellers: Search for the item on eBay and then use the "refine" dialogue to locate a selection called "completed items."

This will show you all the completed sales for that item for the past several weeks/months. You can see which items sold and what they sold for. It's a good reality check.

I'm also frequently amazed at the number of items that sell used for as much or more than Canon refurbs. especially strobes.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

wtlloyd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »
FredMiranda.com

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
CraigsList  is a good way (free). Conduct your transaction in a public place. Star Buck, Peets coffee etc at a busy hour. Always 'Cash ans carry" only. No check ,money order, not even bank draft.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
+1 for Fred Miranda.  Got a sweet deal on a brand new Mamiya 7 II with 80mm on FM.

I've also used EvilBay from time to time.  I get my best results on photography-type forums such as Large Format Photography, APUG & Rangefinders.  In fact, I sold my entire 4x5 kit on Large Format Photography forum within 48 hrs of posting. The kit included: Chamonix 45n-1 4x5 body, Rodenstock Grandagon-N and  Schneider lenses, darkcloth, 4x5 film holders and Fujifilm Neopan B&W film and a few other accessories I can't recall at the moment.

I've bought  & sold lenses on Rangefinders forum as well as purchased a pristine Leica M5 3-lug there.

I've posited the idea here on CR to have a classified section.  Makes sense to me but I know it probably can be a PITA for the site.
5DMKII, T3i, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
+2 for FredMiranda.
It will take time to get started and it always helps if you need to buy a few things first. But in the long run, if you have provided excellent business transactions, you will reap the benefits from no fees and reliable photographers dealing with you.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »