December 22, 2014, 03:49:46 PM

Author Topic: Help on Selling Used Equipment  (Read 2863 times)

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Help on Selling Used Equipment
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
You mean the one that starts with the 5th letter of the alphabet followed by a word that rhymes with day?  ::)
I use them too, begrudgingly.  The 10% fee and dealing with PaynotyourPal can be a real pain, but it's where I have gotten the best prices for my stuff.  Good photos are they key to selling there, and don't fall for the "What's the shutter count" scam, and ALWAYS communicate through their messaging system.  NEVER use email or any other form of communication as they scammers exploit it like crazy. Also, always check your MyeBay page and PayPal to make sure you have received payment before shipping.  Some of the scammers send you fake "Paid, Ship Now" emails (hence the tip on not using email or sharing your email address".  Also, International shipments can take weeks to clear customs and PayPal will hold your $$$ until the person signs for it, at least for people with under 100 feedback or recent electronics sales.  My $$$ was held for 6 weeks for a shipment to Isreal, but I finally got paid when the buyer signed for it.  Also, always obscure the serial # in photos.  I'm sure there are other tips to avoid scams, but those are a few of the ones that they've to do to me.

Craiglist is great for some stuff (not electronics!), but always meet in a very public place to avoid being robbed.
What is the "What's the shutter count" scam?
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »
If Gumtree operates in your country, it's a very smooth process. They're owned by eBay now, but the free listings make it a compelling destination. Like Craigslist, meet in a public place. It's all cash from local buyers in your city. I couldn't tell you how much stuff I've bought and sold on Gumtree.

-pw

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 10:37:50 PM »
Craiglist is great for some stuff (not electronics!), but always meet in a very public place to avoid being robbed.

Craiglist is great if you're not in any hurry, as in you could be waiting for months lol
It's where I've had the best deals (both selling and buying).

But like macguyver says, meet somewhere safe.  I meet my buyers in the local police station lobby.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

chasinglight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 12:41:08 AM »
+1 for craigslist. I am pretty much done with selling on eBay due to the ~20% you pay in fees (when you account for both eBay and Paypal fees). I do however simultaneously list on eBay and craigslist on the off chance that someone on eBay is interested in dealing locally, i.e. circumventing eBay fees.

One important thing to note with craigslist is to only deal locally, in well lit, populated areas; I choose Starbucks because they are everywhere. Furthermore, only deal in cash. 99.99% of the time if buyer on craigslist asks to pay you via Paypal (or some western union wire type service) and then have you ship it, it is a scam. Believe it or not their are several ways that someone can pay you through Paypal, then take then money back before you can can get it. Here is an example of a recent scam email I got while trying to sell my 7D + 15-85.

"$1250 is reasonable, I just finished AIT (Advanced Individual Training), But I'm waiting for deployment. I would appreciate if you can handle the shipment once you confirm payment and that brings the total to $1350. You can request money with my email (Georgebarness@outlook.com) for a PayPal payment. Keep me updated once request is sent.

Sent from my  iPad
"

So be on the lookout for anything that looks/feels/sounds like that. I have bought and sold several pieces of camera equipment on craigslist in the past few years. you just need to be patient, not emotional, and use your head.

Good luck!

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »

"$1250 is reasonable, I just finished AIT (Advanced Individual Training), But I'm waiting for deployment. I would appreciate if you can handle the shipment once you confirm payment and that brings the total to $1350. You can request money with my email (Georgebarness@outlook.com) for a PayPal payment. Keep me updated once request is sent.

Could be legit.  That's the problem --  you never know.  Most military personnel have a much more recognizable email address such as someone@usmc.mil, or someone@us.af.mil

In the example above, I would send an invoice via PayPal.  If the buyer/seller's email address is associated with a legitimate PayPal account you will know.  Once the monies are deposited in my PayPal account - THEN and ONLY THEN would I ship the goods.

I would encourage local transactions as others have suggested.  I rarely use eBay anymore and there's something about Craigslist that just yells out"  "Be Careful.  Be Very Careful."  So I avoid using Craigslist.  But that's just me.  I arrange to meet buyers/sellers at local establishments such as Fry's Electronics or Starbuck's for CASH ONLY transactions.

On the other side of the coin, check your local photography clubs and even astronomy clubs to see if they will post a listing in their newsletter.  I recently sold some gear that way.  Astrophotograhers also tend to be terrestrial photographers as well   ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:30:59 PM by lilmsmaggie »
6D, 5DMKII, Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, 24 1.4L, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

IgotGASbadDude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
But like macguyver says, meet somewhere safe.  I meet my buyers in the local police station lobby.

That's funny you mention the police station. I have that listed as the address to show up when anyone looks at my Craigslist postings. My wife laughed and joked I was scaring away potential buyers.

My logic: if someone is afraid to make a Craigslist transaction at a police station, I don't want to do business with them anyway  8)
1DX less than 2 weeks away! 5D3, 400 5.6 L, 70-200 L, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, 40 pancake, 70-300
And about a million miscellaneous photo items!

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »

That's funny you mention the police station. I have that listed as the address to show up when anyone looks at my Craigslist postings. My wife laughed and joked I was scaring away potential buyers.

My logic: if someone is afraid to make a Craigslist transaction at a police station, I don't want to do business with them anyway  8)
Great idea - I'm getting ready to sell some old gym equipment on CL and that's a perfect place to meet!  The funniest thing that's happened to me on CL is when I sold an old CRT (it was a while back) monitor.  I met up with the guy at a movie theater parking lot and it turns out that he was a coworker that sat just a few doors down from my office.  Since we were both discreet we didn't know who each other was until we met up!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
I meet at the fountain in front of my workplace. People can park for a few minutes, benches all around, CCTV coverage. And I don't need to go anywhere...
EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 12:51:00 AM »
Furthermore, only deal in cash. 99.99% of the time if buyer on craigslist asks to pay you via Paypal (or some western union wire type service) and then have you ship it, it is a scam. Believe it or not their are several ways that someone can pay you through Paypal, then take then money back before you can can get it.

Actually, there is no way for a buyer to take back a western union payment.  They must pay western union cash up front, and you get cash or a certified check.

That's why it is not recommended that you send a western union payment to someone, there is no way to pull it back.

With Paypal, as long as you carefully follow the rules, they cover the loss.  However, they may, in fact grab the money back while they spend a month or 6 weeks investigating.  I've had it happen on a multi thousand dollar sale, but they forked over the money and ate the loss because I had complied with all their rules.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 12:51:00 AM »