April 28, 2017, 11:34:47 PM

Author Topic: Vignetting test with new EF 16-35 F/4L IS and Lee Filter Holder  (Read 20030 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM
Re: Vignetting test with new EF 16-35 F/4L IS and Lee Filter Holder
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 11:09:38 AM »
This is very helpful.  I'm still using the 17-40 but hope to migrate to the 16-35 f/4 shortly.  I've been in the process of trying to figure out the Lee holder/CPL/UWA conundrum.  Next step:  order the 105 ring and the B&W CPL.  Thanks.
Before you pull the trigger on the 105 CPL, you should consider the wonderpana system:
http://www.wonderpana.com/

I haven't used it, but it's basically a Lee-style system with much larger filters so that the vignetting problem is a non-issue for UWA focal lengths.  If you want to stack stuff and have a CPL at 16mm, this is the system you should look into.

That said, I love my Lee setup.  It's well built and has industry standard sizing so I am not married to first party 4x6 filters or CPLs.  And it's flexible and powerful.  I can double my ND grads on harsh sunlight, stack an ND grad with a 10 stop ND, and now with a front ring the CPL is an independent consideration if I need to manage the sky (only for longer FL) or reflections (at any FL).  The only time I need to juggle/think is between 16-20mm, and that's fine by me.

- A

The wonderpana system works well, but it is much more expensive than the more common Lee system. A friend of mine uses this system (Nikon 14mm). He told me that the filters are from great quality.

I have not seen a comprehensive review that states that the quality of the Wonderpana system is better.  But in common sense, it logically should cost more -- it's much larger and therefore requires larger filter elements.

Personally, I would stay with Lee unless you must must must have the ability to stack three things at 14-16mm on FF.  In my limited experience, that doesn't come up that often.  Staying with Lee keeps you in the landscapers-standard 4x4 / 4x6 ecosystem, where there will be many more filter options -- both in design/style and price levels.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 11:09:38 AM »

dlleno

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »

Personally, I would stay with Lee unless you must must must have the ability to stack three things at 14-16mm on FF.  In my limited experience, that doesn't come up that often.  Staying with Lee keeps you in the landscapers-standard 4x4 / 4x6 ecosystem, where there will be many more filter options -- both in design/style and price levels.

- A

/\
|
|
this nails it.  BTW Lee has a larger system as well -- their SW150, originally developed for the Nikon 14-24, which can be used on other lenses as well with the SW150 system adapter.  I went down a similar analysis road myself, and came to the same conclusion - one needs to decide if you need the capability to use the more expensive and limited options for  filters that are 6-inches WIDE. 

M_S

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 01:49:05 AM »
I used the 105 B+W on a 24-70 II + 2 slot Lee filter with 105 ring attached. It vignettes heavily up until 30mm. Not recommended!

Scriv

• Canonflex
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »
I know this thread is a couple years old, but can anyone tell me if you get vignetting at 16mm with the Lee holder setup with ONE slot, and the 105 ring with a circular polarizer.

Thanks.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
I know this thread is a couple years old, but can anyone tell me if you get vignetting at 16mm with the Lee holder setup with ONE slot, and the 105 ring with a circular polarizer.

Thanks.

Forgive me, but pulling slots off the holder is a tiny/piecey mess, so I pulled my 2 slot + CPL ring setup out, removed the adaptor ring that threads into the lens altogether and tried to hold the holder manually over the lens in a one-slot closer than it ought to be position.  I didn't center it well and the result was inconclusive.

My guess is that it that 100% depends on the specific CPL you use, but for a garden variety Lee or B+W 105mm CPL, I think it will still vignette slightly at 16mm.  Why do I think this?  The CPL outer rail that sticks out beyond the CPL ring is as thick as both slots.  It's a solid 8mm or so (B+W Kaesemann 105mm) versus perhaps the 4mm per slot, so my guess is you'd be somewhere between my first and second scenarios in my original post.

However, if you used either a slim 105 CPL or B+W's step-ring version (105 thread + much larger outer ring to fight vignetting), the situation would become more favorable for you.  Neither are great options, as the former would undoubtedly be a bear to secure and remove, and the latter costs a mint.

- A

Eagle Eye

• EOS M3
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »

Thanks.

Take a look back at my post on page 1. With B+W's ultrawide 105mm KSM polarizer, a 007M protective filter, and a Lee filter holder with one slot, there's no vignetting at 16mm. Happy shooting!
Gear! When do we get gear?!

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »

Thanks.

Take a look back at my post on page 1. With B+W's ultrawide 105mm KSM polarizer, a 007M protective filter, and a Lee filter holder with one slot, there's no vignetting at 16mm. Happy shooting!

Ah yes, I forgot you bought the extra-wide.  That effectively takes the CPL out of the equation for vignetting, right?  I'd imagine you'd see the same vignetting with that as you would with an empty CPL ring.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »