November 22, 2014, 09:25:45 AM

Author Topic: The problem of having MAC when you have Windowsed friends  (Read 2724 times)

aleshaloginov

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
The problem of having MAC when you have Windowsed friends
« on: June 28, 2014, 05:43:49 AM »
Good day everyone,
The problem is so stupid that I decided to create an account here to ask

I use a Transcend HDD because my MBP retina 15 has only 256 mb inside it — not quite enough to store important RAW files.
I converted it to ExFAT format, don't remember why but there are some serious profits.

The problem is when I connect my HDD to windows running computer, the system asks to check the HDD to prevent some errors, when I do that it actually erases half of my RAW files and only then allows to use it. (one can't overcome the checking, windows won't let you move something to your HDD)

I found some solutions, eg Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery — brilliant thing, but I'm kind of tired of doing the same thing everytime, because it take 5 hours(at least) to restore 750GB HDD.

What's wrong with the HDD? Why windows sees RAW files as damaged ones?

canon rumors FORUM

The problem of having MAC when you have Windowsed friends
« on: June 28, 2014, 05:43:49 AM »

CaiLeDao

• Power Shot G7X
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: The problem of having MAC when you have Windowsed friends
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:09:48 AM »
I think I would use NTFS as the file system, its more mainstream and you have a better chance of OSX and the USB drivers properly writing the file allocation records.

I am assuming you are using USB as the interface.

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:14:39 AM »
Hi aleshaloginov.
First welcome to the forum.
As Microsoft claim to have invented this file system and implemented it from vista, (so vista and all subsequent OS should be ok) would it be a windows XP system giving you the trouble? If so there is a fix patch out there to deal with adding compatibility for ExFat to XP, just google ExFat XP, or look at this link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955704
Hope this helps.

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

markmcleod

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »
Hi, I switched all my computers to Mac in the past 18 months and I had the same issue.  Good news is problem solved!
All windows hard drives use NTFS as standard.  The problem is that this is a Microsoft format and so it is not used by Apple.  Apple have the own format but then that doesn't work well with Windows.  There are some formats that can work with both windows and Mac but if your friends have hard drives that are formatted for windows you again have issues if they try to plug their drives into your mac.
The solution:  Buy this piece of software for $20 and install it on your mac http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/.  Paragon software runs in the background of your mac permanently and lets you use windows (NTFS) hard drives without any issues.  Then format your drive into the windows NTFS system (you can do this on your mac by going into settings then disk utility).  Make sure you back up everything before you do this as it will wipe your entire drive).  I have this software on all my macs and have all external drives formatted to NTFS and everything works perfectly.
By the way, i have no affiliation with Paragon whatsoever.  Good Luck.

aleshaloginov

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 08:26:28 AM »
Hi, I switched all my computers to Mac in the past 18 months and I had the same issue.  Good news is problem solved!
All windows hard drives use NTFS as standard.  The problem is that this is a Microsoft format and so it is not used by Apple.  Apple have the own format but then that doesn't work well with Windows.  There are some formats that can work with both windows and Mac but if your friends have hard drives that are formatted for windows you again have issues if they try to plug their drives into your mac.
The solution:  Buy this piece of software for $20 and install it on your mac http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/.  Paragon software runs in the background of your mac permanently and lets you use windows (NTFS) hard drives without any issues.  Then format your drive into the windows NTFS system (you can do this on your mac by going into settings then disk utility).  Make sure you back up everything before you do this as it will wipe your entire drive).  I have this software on all my macs and have all external drives formatted to NTFS and everything works perfectly.
By the way, i have no affiliation with Paragon whatsoever.  Good Luck.

Thank you very much!

aleshaloginov

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »
Oh, and no, I don't have any affiliation with Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery application, but still if you LOST all your RAW files the way I did many times — use it, it's really worth buying.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Good day everyone,

I use a Transcend HDD because my MBP retina 15 has only 256 mb inside it — not quite enough to store important RAW files.
I converted it to ExFAT format, don't remember why but there are some serious profits.

The problem is when I connect my HDD to windows running computer, the system asks to check the HDD to prevent some errors, when I do that it actually erases half of my RAW files and only then allows to use it. (one can't overcome the checking, windows won't let you move something to your HDD)

I found some solutions, eg Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery — brilliant thing, but I'm kind of tired of doing the same thing everytime, because it take 5 hours(at least) to restore 750GB HDD.

Sounds like one of two things:
1) Whatever program format the hard drive in exFat did it incorrectly.
2) You are not dismounting the drive correctly prior to disconnecting it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »

aleshaloginov

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
Good day everyone,

Sounds like one of two things:
1) Whatever program format the hard drive in exFat did it incorrectly.
2) You are not dismounting the drive correctly prior to disconnecting it.

The formatting was done with built in mac os application, it never seemed to be bad... And no, I always use the correct way of disconnecting my HDD :)

Thanks!

markmcleod

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »
No worries, this works very well for me.

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »

If it is reproducible:

http://bugreporter.apple.com/

eersoy

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
I also had some problems with Mac formatted Exfat drives but now I format the drives to ExFat on windows machines and use them on both platforms without a problem.  I think the issues mainly caused by is not the ExFat but the partition map (GUID, MBR...) thing.

Regards
Efe

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
Good day everyone,

ExFAT is not supported directly in some versions of Windows. Your Windows friends might need to install an updater from Microsoft. I know that Windows XP requires an update to support exFAT, but Windows 7 (and presumably later versions) do not.

Macs can read from, but not write to NTFS (last I heard).

Why do you need to connect to a Windows machine? If we know why, we may be able to recommend a safer course of action. One suggestion, if you're only sharing a few files, would be to burn to a DVD or CD which have universal file formats.
Canon 7D

Atonegro

• Canon AE-1
  • It's not the gear, it's the eye.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
As said before, Paragon ntfs is an excelent program that let you read and write ntfs-disks on a mac.
And there is a similar program to read mac-disks on a windows computer, and that is Macdrive.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/downloads

But there is nothing wrong with exfat, I am using it most of the time when transfering data between mac and windows. (and linux)
The reason windows screws up repairing the exfatdisk is the different way the rubbish-bin is inplemented.
So never let windows repair the disk, tell it to shut up and get to work, and it will do its job.

Fat-32 can be used too, almost any computer will read and write it.

DCS 3c, D2000, 1DS, 1DS2, 1DS3, D800e, D810 and now waiting for the 1DS-X.....or a Nikon D4X...

English is not my native language, I learned  it only a few years ago. If you don't like my spelling, I will be happy to write it in Dutch for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »

mdmphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »
Format your drive as ex-fat; this is what we teach our students in Lightroom lab and they move their usb drive catalogs from their home macs to the lab's pc workstations with nary a problem.  Some random websites with ex-fat info:

http://lifehacker.com/5927185/use-the-exfat-file-system-and-never-format-your-external-drive-again

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/9879/os-x-how-can-i-access-exfat-drives-with-my-apple-computer/

https://code.google.com/p/exfat/

6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
Fat-32 can be used too, almost any computer will read and write it.

True. However, recent implementations of Apple's Disk Utility won't give you that option, at least for some disk types. I know it won't give you that option for large USB thumb drives...
Canon 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »