December 22, 2014, 11:04:38 AM

Author Topic: The problem of having MAC when you have Windowsed friends  (Read 2890 times)

Atonegro

• Canon AE-1
  • It's not the gear, it's the eye.
    • View Profile
Re: The problem of having MAC when you have Windowsed friends
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
Fat-32 can be used too, almost any computer will read and write it.

True. However, recent implementations of Apple's Disk Utility won't give you that option, at least for some disk types. I know it won't give you that option for large USB thumb drives...

That is very true.
It is great for small files and disks, but because it is 32 bit, it can not handle files above 4gb and no disks above 2tb, that is why exfat is the better option.
DCS 3c, D2000, 1DS, 1DS2, 1DS3, D800e, D810 and now waiting for the 1DS-X.....or a Nikon D4X...

English is not my native language, I learned  it only a few years ago. If you don't like my spelling, I will be happy to write it in Dutch for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 07:26:15 PM »

I would suggest a LAN-connected disk instead of a hard drive for these purposes.  That way, A. all the machines can access it at the same time, and B. you don't have to deal with nonstandard filesystem kernel extensions on either platform.

In particular, I'm remembering a tragic OS X upgrade cycle where thousands of a particular model of Seagate hard drive started eating themselves, and it turned out to be caused by the fact that instead of reformatting the drives as HFS+ like they should have, Seagate instead had all of their users install Paragon's NTFS filesystem kext so that the Macs would let users write to NTFS volumes.  Unfortunately for their customers, Paragon's NTFS code had bugs that didn't show up until Apple did a major OS upgrade, at which point users frequently lost a significant amount of data, IIRC.  Seems like that was 10.7 or so, but I'm not certain.

So I definitely would *not* suggest Paragon.  I would never in a million years count on a third-party filesystem kext in OS X to be robust enough for consumer use, particularly if you're finding that even Apple's built-in filesystems aren't robust for you.  Writing filesystem code is hard.  Writing filesystem code correctly is even harder.  Writing filesystem code that supports a Microsoft-designed filesystem by reverse engineering parts of Windows against Microsoft's wishes is borderline suicidal.

Get a tiny NAS box that supports SMB.  In the long run, you'll be a lot happier.  Or just keep a small FAT partition around for when you need to exchange a few files between platforms.  Either way, don't try to use HFS+ on Windows, and don't try to use NTFS on OS X.  Those paths lead only to madness.

CS

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 11:46:14 PM »
From my experience dual booting Linux and Windows, I find it is always a good idea to run a disk check in Windows on any NTFS partition formatted by a non-Windows OS.  It need only be done once, before anything is put on it.  But it must be done since Windows always finds errors during that first check.  The quick version of the disk check is sufficient for this case.

ExFAT, being another Microsoft scheme, might have the same issue.  If you want an ExFAT partition, either format it in Windows or run a disk check under Windows before using it.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 01:32:15 AM »
I will second the idea of the Paragon software, however I did not buy it as a standalone. I am not even sure all hard drives will work with it.
I always use Seagate HDDs that COME with the software driver. All you have to do is install the software (free!) on your Mac and it will work with all NTFS-formatted Seagate HDDs. Probably with all NTFS HDDs whether Seagate or not- but I haven't bought a non-Seagate one to find out (especially, the hard way)
EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 01:32:15 AM »