July 28, 2014, 01:43:38 PM

Author Topic: Next official EF-M Lens  (Read 4599 times)

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Next official EF-M Lens
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »
Digging around, there appears to be patent applications for the following Canon branded lenses...

16-120mm f3.5-5.6 - please ! Now !!!
18-200mm f3.5-6.3 - how very Tamron
22-46mm f3.5-5.6 - Presumably pancake, could be tempted ;-)

I agree  - the 16-120 could be a winner and the Tammy has #2 covered but I don't understand he last
one. It is an overlap of the 18-55 kit lens unless there is something I'm missing. Pancake you say ? Pancake zoom?

Yes, maybe something like http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/lenses/olympus_m_14-42_3p5-5p6_ez

Cool - thanks for that - I am not all that up on m43 gear - that looks like it would be an ultra compact addition to the M lineup.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »

DRR

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 11:11:45 PM »

What I want, would be a compact 55mm f/2. IS would seal the deal.

Between that and the 22mm f/2 you basically have the EOS M equivalent of 35/85 which is a small light versatile kit with fast glass. And still pocketable!

Anything wider, or more tele, and the length of the lens has to increase significantly, which makes it much less pocketable.

rrcphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »
There are no real rumors about the long-awaited M3.

long awaited? M2 came out last December o.O

Following the release of the Canon EF-M 55-200 and the third party Tamron EF-M 18-200, what's next for the EF-M range from Canon, the four lens range is nice, but perhaps limited in appeal, what would you like to see and also, what patents are out there currently ?

I'd love a compact 16 to 17mm prime.  Or for Sigma to make it's E mount lenses over to the M mount (easy flip for them).

15-85mm would be sweet as well - but it would have to be slow to keep the size down.

daemorhedron

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
long awaited? M2 came out last December o.O

M2 was not officially released outside of Asia, so most people know of it but have no option to buy it. I did get a chance to test it out and while a smidge better, I found it too on par with the original to keep for the money. Especially since it could not run with Magic Lantern.

Or for Sigma to make it's E mount lenses over to the M mount (easy flip for them).

Good idea! =)

Personally, I would love a vastly improved/full frame version of the M but not sure if Canon will have something substantial out before the competition.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »

Personally, I would love a vastly improved/full frame version of the M but not sure if Canon will have something substantial out before the competition.

I would love that too, but it's beyond any doubt that the competition, such as it is, is already way ahead of them (esp Sony A7/a7r/A7s & A6000, or, if you don't mind the smaller sensors, the better M43 cameras)!

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
Controversially perhaps, but I see full frame mirror less as a flash in the pan the Sony unit just can't be selling the numbers to be competitive against the likes of Fuji/m43/EF-M who are selling at much lower prices with much higher volumes.

The future for full frame mirror less is in my humble opinion going to be driven by replacements for the next generation full frame DSLR's - the 1Dx/5D/6D's a half decade from now with EVF's that work as well as OVF, offer real advantages over traditional mirror arrangements - shrinking to fit a bigger sensor is somewhat counter productive !
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »

Between that and the 22mm f/2 you basically have the EOS M equivalent of 35/85 which is a small light versatile kit with fast glass. And still pocketable!

Anything wider, or more tele, and the length of the lens has to increase significantly, which makes it much less pocketable.

+1 for a small 55 f/2 with or without IS. I find the M great at the wide end but for real telephoto work I much prefer the OVF of a proper DSLR. 55mm on M is about as long as I would like to go.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »

Cory

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »

+1 for a small 55 f/2 with or without IS. I find the M great at the wide end but for real telephoto work I much prefer the OVF of a proper DSLR. 55mm on M is about as long as I would like to go.

:-* :) ;) :D ;D 8)
Canon 70D, 10-18, 35 2.0 IS, 100 2.0 & 200 2.8 II
Canon EOS M/22 2.0

steyr

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 08:09:17 AM »
I would like to see someone make a quality speedbooster adapter for the EOS M with EF lenses! I would buy one as soon as it's made, as long as AF still works reasonably well.

Theoretically, the adapter will offer a similar field of view as full frame and give 1 stop more light. That would make the M system really interesting...

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 10:04:56 AM »
I would like to see someone make a quality speedbooster adapter for the EOS M with EF lenses! I would buy one as soon as it's made, as long as AF still works reasonably well.

Theoretically, the adapter will offer a similar field of view as full frame and give 1 stop more light. That would make the M system really interesting...

+1. This is a prerequisite for me buying into the M-system. (The other major prerequisite is a viewfinder, presumably an EVF.) Incidentally, since the Canon APS-C sensor size is 1.6X, the speedbooster could give 1-1/3 stops more light. However, to provide good corner resolution, it would probably have to be very good and therefore very expensive.

dickgrafixstop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
To build a "family" of lenses, you need to have a base of bodies to support them.  With the latest telephoto,
I would guess that Canon is done with M lenses. 

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 01:00:11 PM »
With the latest telephoto, I would guess that Canon is done with M lenses.

Do you think they are going to kill off the M line?

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
With the latest telephoto, I would guess that Canon is done with M lenses.

Do you think they are going to kill off the M line?

no.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 02:04:59 PM »

+1. This is a prerequisite for me buying into the M-system. (The other major prerequisite is a viewfinder, presumably an EVF.) Incidentally, since the Canon APS-C sensor size is 1.6X, the speedbooster could give 1-1/3 stops more light. However, to provide good corner resolution, it would probably have to be very good and therefore very expensive.

Canon may end up making a mirrorless body with built-in speedbooster.
1. They would keep the EF mount and all FF lens support
2. No need for FF sensor, lower price, more sales, more profit
3. No more dust specks, no more sensor cleaning, just think about the level of weather sealing it could have 8)
FF + primes !

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »
Let throw my 2cents of opinion onto the pile.

From the first day I had the M I wished for a speed booster. Instead I bought a third party EF to EF-M adapter.
First of all be happy that none exist as you would only be tempted to waste money on a compromise which settles you for the worst of two worlds.

Why the adapter does not make sense?

1. Someone here mentioned it already... The M excels at the wide end, it sucks for tele based on handling and weight balance. I tried White L glasses on the M with my adapter. Awkward, slow, the older ones not even focusing and energy hungry. You do not get more than 80 shots out of my M with a single Patona battery when the 200 l 1:1.8 is attached. That is the need for 4 batteries for a single sports match. If you work with the M and anything longer than the 135 L you want the system stabilized by a tripod or at least by 2 hands and the viewfinder against your brow. A tripod simply speaks against the whole concept of the M and 2hands? Well you need one to hold the lens and the other to fondle the touchscreen so you really end up to hold the camera like an amateur waiter carrying a lobster plate. So the only reason why I carry the adapter and the M in my bag for the larger lenses is to have an emergency backup body.

2. No none STM lens makes sense on the M. Now for the speed booster to do a trick you want a full frame lens with STM ... The shorty forty maybe? Buy it, add a non existing speed booster for 500 bucks and you get a kind of 30mm 2.0 lens with some losses in IQ but the weight and size of a full frame zoom lens which has to compete with the 22mm 2.0 which comes with native EF-m mount.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »