July 28, 2014, 01:32:11 PM

Author Topic: How often do you go through a body? Why do you upgrade?  (Read 24592 times)

Bob Howland

Re: How often do you go through a body? Why do you upgrade?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
I'm still using a 5D ordered two days before its introduction. (Canon Espania leaked a spec sheet.) I'm also using a 40D ordered the day it was introduced. That makes the 5D over 6 years old and the 40D over 4 years old. The 5D replaced a 10D, which just didn't cut it when photographing rock bands and jazz ensembles. The 40D gave me more reach and better focusing than the 5D with my 100-400, although I try to keep the ISO at or below 800. I might have bought a 5D2 and 7D except their benefits over what I have didn't seem sufficient.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »

KevinP

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
I've only owned one DSLR, my 40D.  I've put more into my lenses and lighting which to me is more important.  Having said that, I do plan on buying a 7D very soon.  I'd like to have two bodies with different set ups for some of the shooting I do.  Switching lenses and lighting systems back and forth between one body can be a lot of work and time.  It was between a 7D or a 5DMkII, but I just can't swing the price increase for the 5D right now and I have much more use for a wireles flash controller like the 7D has. 

jonvillaphoto

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
First camera for me was a Canon Rebel 2000. Eventually upgraded to a Elan 7 and the Rebel 2000 would be my second body I would keep B&W film in while the Elan shot colour. Only actually upgraded to digital 8 months ago and got a Canon 60D. Picked up a Canon S95 as my walk around camera. Eventually sold that (for about 40 bucks less than I bought it for) and got a Panasonic GF2. Now I shoot my GF2 a whole lot for personal stuff and my 60D is just for business.

Picsfor

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
First digital was a Nikon 5700 bridge. Loved it, but missed the flexibility of an SLR.

Got a 30D, then a 40D as well when i had a wedding to do. Looked at doing stock photography for where my wife worked and struggled with the requirements of the agencies, getting too many shots rejected on quality to despite using tripod and L glass. This was just as the 5D2 came out, so my wife sanctioned the upgrade to a 5D2 as a replacement to the 30D.

It became clear that neither 30D or 40D would ever come up to the IQ of a 5D2, so sold both and ran with a single 5D2. Now have a second 5D2 as i had a wedding to do, a party to do and a few portrait shoots to do. Now getting a bit more work so 2 bodies are fine.

That said, if i won the lottery, i would love a 1DX - love the focusing and high ISO facility - but my budget doesn't reach to that. I'd have to sell both 5D2's and a lens or 2 to cover the cost :-)

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »
Of digital SLR bodies I've had and used, I've had the D30, 10D, Digital Rebel, Digital Rebel XT, Digital Rebel XTi, 20D, 30D, 40D, 1D MK II, 1D MK III, 5D, 5D MK II, and the 7D over the past 10 years.  Usually at least two at the same time.  Most of them I bought used and sold them after a year for more than I paid, but my 5D MK II will be three years old in about three weeks.  I also had a Kodak DCS 620, but it was mostly as a collectible, and not used other than to test.

In order of IQ, I'd say 5D MK II, 1D MK III, 7D, 1D MK II was what I saw.  Certainly the 1 series cameras have a lot more going for them besides IQ, the ability to AF at F/8 or even f/11 (with stacked TC's) is a huge plus, and will be missed with the 1Dx, if I decide to get one.

The other interesting point is what number of releases people are getting on their shutters - it is always a matter of debate how long a shutter is likely to live relative to the spec given by the manufacturer.  I have seen references to 5DIIs doing over 1 million shutter releases, but have not seen anything to corroborate the accuracy of that information.
Given how long it has been since the 5D was introduced, it would be interesting to know how many clicks some of the (still) hard working 5Ds have on them..
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

ferdi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Pentax Espio 140M (1996, analog, still works)
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom (2002, 3mp, still works, bulky)
Sony DSC-T1 (2005, 5mp, dead battery, fits in shirt pocket)
Canon EOS 7D (2010)
Canon EOS 5D Mark II (2011)
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV (in about two weeks)
Fujifilm X10 (postponed to 2012)
1D IV, 5D III, 5D II, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200L IS II, 300L IS, Σ 50, Σ 85, 1.4x III, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

dppaskewitz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »
My first digital was a G-1 in 2001 (I continued to shoot film in my used T-90 for anything that moved).  In 2004, a Digital Rebel.  In 2006, a 30D (I wanted two bodies and the 30D seemed like an obvious upgrade to the Rebel as well).  Shortly thereafter, my first L glass (100-400).  In 2008, added a 5D with the 27-105L (I think its was 2008 - but anyway it was just before the 5DII came out --- I was setting up two cameras with different lens and changing between them as subjects (trains) moved through the scene.  I found it difficult to switch between the Rebel and the 30D because of different control locations, etc.  The 5D and 30D controls are nearly identical so, problem solved).  Since then, I have added the 24L T&S (Version I) and the 70-200 4 L.  I continue to lust after a 5DII and a 7D, but every time I think about it, I think of new glass I would rather have (50 1.4; 100 L macro; an UW).  I am not professional, so (as someone else has said), until I win the lottery, I will probably stick with what I have.   Although not relevant, really, to this forum, I did buy a Crown Graphic on E-bay last year and just took my first shots with it (finally) last weekend.  Light years apart from any DSLR.
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »

docsavage123

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »
Started off with Pentax optio 555 and Canon Powershot A40, realised I wanted to take more photos so bought a 350D in June 2006, then got hooked, bought my first L lens 400mm F5.6 the following year, got the 40D when it came out in 2007, gave my 350D to a friend who is no longer here. Bought 7D in March 2009 was amazed by it, decided to trade 40D in November 2010 for a 5D Classic (I seem to use this more now) and love the full frame - could not justify getting the 5D Mark II. In September this year got a 2nd hand 1D Mark II for £400 from Jacobs Digital, which is still an amazing piece of kit if built like a tank. Oh and through all this I still have a IXUS 700 which is my trusty compact and cant see the point of replacing it.
Canon 7D, 5D Classic, T2i, 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 70-200 F4L, 1.4 EXT ii, EF100 F2.8 Macro, EF50mm F1.8 ii, 40mm Pancake, Sigma 24-70EX DG F2.8, Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 HSM, Sigma 18-50 F2.8-4 OS , EX430 II. Red Snapper tripod.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
I had access to the original canon D30 and D60 way back when and purchased the 10D when it came out... Proceeded to leapfrog from the 10D to 30D to 50D but ditched the 50D as quickly as I could when the 7D came out... Now got the 7D and 5d2.  Basically I dont upgrade JUST to upgrade... you get a feeling when you've outgrown your camera and if there is a new camera that does stuff my current camera doesn't and can make my photography better/more consistent/faster/etc then I will bite the bullet.  (30D-bigger/faster/responsive, 50D-supposedly better/microadjust/better interface, 7D-superior IQ compared to 50D/flash triggering/AF, 5d2-better IQ and low light performance) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

willrobb

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »
Wow, I started the post last night before bed and get to have a good read on the packed Friday morning Tokyo rush hour train :-)

So here's my time line and reasons for upgrades (other than the "want factor")

Late2006/early2007: Bought a 2nd hand 30D. I was shooting film with a canon EOS 7 and a Mamiya 7II, I wanted to stick with film but I was getting job offers with a very quick turn around and needed digital so I dipped my toes in the water, slipped and fell into a big digital pool which I only climbed out of (slightly) last week.

2008 summer. Bought my 5D new. Things were going well workwise and I wanted full frame with better IQ, the 5D was in my price range and I went for it. I was very happy with the results. Kept the 30D as back up.

Summer 2009. Bought the 5DmkII, sold the 30D. I bought the 5DmkII as an agency I worked for deemed only photos taken in RAW on a 12 megapix camera or more could be submitted. They hinted at an increase to come, so I plumped for the 5DmkII. Another factor was I had started shooting fashion week in Tokyo and I wanted something with really good high ISO capabilities. For a while I was shooting with the 5DmkII and had my 5D as a back up.

Late 2010. Bought 7D, sold the 5D. During two consequtive wedding shoots I had problems with my 5D. The first time turning it on and off worked, the next time the shutter stopped working and I had to shoot with only the 5DmkII. I took my 5D to canon, got it fixed and decided to sell it. Got a good price for it and bought a second hand 7D that was in mint condition, so essentially I swapped bodies. I was getting married that month and really wanted the 1DmkIV but I had still to pay for the honeymoon and I felt it better to make sure I got that right, money well spent as a happy wife makes for a happy life ;-)

This week. Sold the 7D for slightly less than I bought it for and got another 5DmkII. I was really happy with the 7D, for runway shoots it was my main camera, for group shots at events I often used the built in wireless speedlite controller which was a real life saver, the AF and FPS was much better than the 5DmkII, but overall I felt the 7D wasn't so good for me in terms of IQ when I cranked it up over ISO. In that respect the 5DmkII wins hands down IMO, I shoot a lot of indoor events and I was worried that if my 5DmkII stopped during an event the IQ of the 7D wouldn't be good enough. The 5DmkII prices have dropped a lot here recently, the selling the 7D and a decent hire paid for the new body, it gives me more peace of mind so I felt it was worth it.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
I am currently contemplating getting a 5D Mark II (as III doesn't
seem to be around the corner)...

thats what I did I got sick of waiting for them to announce what they were doing so i figured i'll just get the 5D2s and I'll probably get at least a solid year of use out of them then if something really amazing finally comes up its going to have one hell of a waitlist. I think if you keep waiting for the next big thing you will never get anything and currently the 5D2 is really good bang for buck.
APS-H Fanboy

alipaulphotography

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
Of digital SLR bodies I've had and used, I've had the D30, 10D, Digital Rebel, Digital Rebel XT, Digital Rebel XTi, 20D, 30D, 40D, 1D MK II, 1D MK III, 5D, 5D MK II, and the 7D over the past 10 years.  Usually at least two at the same time.  Most of them I bought used and sold them after a year for more than I paid, but my 5D MK II will be three years old in about three weeks.  I also had a Kodak DCS 620, but it was mostly as a collectible, and not used other than to test.

In order of IQ, I'd say 5D MK II, 1D MK III, 7D, 1D MK II was what I saw.  Certainly the 1 series cameras have a lot more going for them besides IQ, the ability to AF at F/8 or even f/11 (with stacked TC's) is a huge plus, and will be missed with the 1Dx, if I decide to get one.

The other interesting point is what number of releases people are getting on their shutters - it is always a matter of debate how long a shutter is likely to live relative to the spec given by the manufacturer.  I have seen references to 5DIIs doing over 1 million shutter releases, but have not seen anything to corroborate the accuracy of that information.
Given how long it has been since the 5D was introduced, it would be interesting to know how many clicks some of the (still) hard working 5Ds have on them..

I'm not sure if there is any software that I know of that can tell you the clicks on the old 5D. Correct me if I'm wrong as I'd be interested to know. I have used files from the 5D and the MKII and strangely enough - apart from in low light the original has superior skin tones. I am looking forward to experimenting with video though. Not buying a mk II this close to a mk III release unless I specifically needed it.

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »
Here's my timeline:

• Fall 2000 - Nikon FM (Art Photography I, II and III classes in HS) my dad's old film camera
• December 2002 - Sony P71 P&S
• May 2006 - Canon SD600 P&S
• February 2010 - Canon Rebel XT and kit lens (used)
• September 2011 - Canon Rebel XTi (purchased broken; fixed, and sold XT for more than purchase price)

Since Feb 2010, I have spent a total of just under $1000 for all my photo gear (see signature), most of it was really good used deals, and the rest broken and fixed.  I have also sold 2 lenses and 2 bodies that I fixed (thanks, Craigslist!).  I've profitted a couple hundred from my little projects, so I've spent about $800 net.

I would love to step up to a newer body (primarily for ISO >1600 and a better OVF), but have not done it yet.  The 60D would be perfect (love the size).  If Canon were to release an entry-level FF camera in a body the size of the 60D I would pull every string to convince my wife for the upgrade.  I would not be interested in a body the size of the 5D or 1D series.

Most likely I'll upgrade the next time I find a killer deal on CL, or a broken camera to fix.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »

willrobb

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »

Got a 30D, then a 40D as well when i had a wedding to do. Looked at doing stock photography for where my wife worked and struggled with the requirements of the agencies, getting too many shots rejected on quality to despite using tripod and L glass. This was just as the 5D2 came out, so my wife sanctioned the upgrade to a 5D2 as a replacement to the 30D.

Seems like the stock agency requirements has made a few people upgrade. It helped sway my decision as well, but I really cut down on my stock agency work a lot, a hard market these days. I still do t when I travel though, it's good to get access to some places :-)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »
Some extreme cases of "Upgraditus" should be referred to Health Authorities. For most of us a new body may mean keeping a newer kit than the art director, performance requirements for particular clients or just the plain good fun you have unboxing the latest, running tests, pixel peeping, being amazed by performance gains over the old bodies and in the best case scenario realizing you can come up with shots that were previously impossible. The MkIV was like this for me.

As long as a body delivers the shots without anxieties that will undermine the creative process, I'll keep it. I still pull out my 5D classic from time to time. Shooting action and needing a second body I love charging up the batteries on my astoundingly responsive 1DMkIIn.

There are gear nuts out there who pickup every new upgrade/update that comes along. I know a cashed up hobbyist who is Canon obsessed and is always the first with the latest gear. Can't say I've seen too many of his photos though.

Early in the digital history each upgrade tended to deliver massive evolutionary improvements, and to stay competitive in business, short-cycle updates were a must, regardless of the expense. Now it's all smoothing out. If a 5D classic delivers the shots for you then keep it until it falls apart.

What's it all about after all? The creative process & the images or the hardware? For my friend the cashed up hobbyist it's the hardware. For others it's the image that has the power to amaze.

Paul Wright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »