(Jealous of all my friends who live in NZ and Aus).
I shall be awaiting your telescope and camera bodies in the mail...
I've had 4 bodies in my life:
- a Kodak point and shoot Instamatic X15F, nothing more than a plastic lens and 2-blade leaf shutter. It took 126 Cartridge film, anyone remember (or even heard of) that? I took a prize-winning photo on it when I was only 8 or so. I found it a few years ago, still had half a roll of undeveloped film in, from when I was in Thailand when I was 10. (Thankfully kodak still processed it, and the photos were only half-fogged).
- 35mm Nikon One-touch 100, just a wide angle lens point and shoot. Not bad for what it was, it went on a lot of holidays with me when I was a teenager.
- Olympus mju820, bought end of 2007 just before I went overseas backpacking for a year (which turned into 3). Bought it mostly because it was "weatherproof", and better lens/zoom than the properly submersible types. Turns out it was not dunk-in-beer proof, nor Czech-river-drunken-rafting-falling-in proof. Technically this should be counted as 2 bodies because the first died. Between the two bodies I kept about 12,000 photos.
- 7D, had it just over a year, about 16,000 shutter-shots.
- I've got a lot of Pentacon Six and Kiev 88 glass, I do have a Pentacon Six body that was doa when i got it. One day i'll get a proper film body for all my glass, either a P6 or a Kiev 88CM / Hartblei 1006 (but then i'll be tempted to get a digital hassy back for it).
- Maybe maybe maybe i'll find a cheap Eos 3 or 1V for film and using my canon glass. I might even use IR film and/or find an IR-converted digital body, if it's cheap enough (i'm not destroying my 7D).
- FF Digital eventually. Maybe not 5D3. Maybe 5D2 if i get a good price on a 2nd-hand one once the 5D3 hits. Maybe 1D3/4 or 1Ds2/3 if they come low enough in a few years.
- But i'm not ditching my 7D until the shutter falls off from overuse (ie, maybe next week). I won't replace it for an aps-c high-fps body for at least 5-6 years, my next digital body will be FF for portraits and landscapes only...