September 22, 2014, 04:33:48 PM

Author Topic: Tripod center column - yes or no  (Read 5554 times)

longtallkarl

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod center column - yes or no
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »
i've always had center columns on my tripods and find them quite useful.  back when i was shooting 4x5 with a sinar, it was on a 4 series gitzo with a geared column which was indispensable. 

just recently i was shooting in a small space and needed the extra height that the center column on my gitzo GT2542L provided, and shot without issue.  i was making 6 second exposures with the 17 tse and stitching together images taken with the lens at full rise, centered and full fall.  i used the 2 second self timer, and there are no issues with softness.

like others have stated, with longer lenses using the center column gets proportionally more problematic, but with wide and normal lenses, i have had no issues, and enjoy the flexibility having a center column provides.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »

John

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
i like a center column. it is easier to go up a bit or down a bit when setting up a shot. if you get a sturdy gitzo, then you won't have any problem with the column shaking during the shot. the gitzo legs also extend almost straight out so you can get the tripod very near to the ground.

i know people who claim that the center column makes the tripod less stable but i haven't observed that to be the case. i own a tripod without a column as well, but use the one with the tripod almost all of the time. the other complaint is that a tripod with a center column won't go as low to the ground to shoot flowers or something like that as one without a center column. this is true and there are times when that bothers me.

i use a Gitzo GT3532 Mountaineer Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod with an Arca Swiss monoball Z1 head. this gear is  very expensive but i love it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
if you get a sturdy gitzo, then you won't have any problem with the column shaking during the shot.

i know people who claim that the center column makes the tripod less stable

It's not 'people claiming' it, it's just physics...a raised center column is less stable. Period.

Now, whether or not that extra instability affects your shooting depends on the load and how balanced it is, the focal lengths used, the shutter speeds used, and your personal tolerance for blur.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod centre column - yes or no
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
Neuro & others - have you used your RRS tripods in salt water very much?  I'm considering the TVC-33, but my tripods go in muddy/sandy salt water about 2/3 of the time I use them.

I use mine in salt water occasionally, in mud and sand more often.  Like Eldar, I always disassemble and rinse in clean water after that, and I've not had any issues.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
Neuro & others - have you used your RRS tripods in salt water very much?  I'm considering the TVC-33, but my tripods go in muddy/sandy salt water about 2/3 of the time I use them.

I use mine in salt water occasionally, in mud and sand more often.  Like Eldar, I always disassemble and rinse in clean water after that, and I've not had any issues.
Thanks, Neuro, and I know it's just a matter of time before I order a TVC-33 :)
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »