October 22, 2014, 09:48:24 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Replacement & Telephoto Lens in September [CR3]  (Read 15052 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: EOS 7D Replacement & Telephoto Lens in September [CR3]
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 01:50:33 PM »
Anyone know how NDAs generally work?

Do they usually expire or get lifted before the product is announced, or do companies purposely set the NDA expiration date after their projected announcement date and then lift it once the announcement is made?

I'm guessing the latter. It doesn't seem like they would lift an NDA until they release or announce the product.

So, if the NDAs expire in September, that would be the latest date for a release announcement?

You pretty much want the NDA/Embargo to be lifted coincidentally with if not slightly before the actual announcement. Example: Canon wants to announce something on date X. The NDA/embargo would be lifted at the very latest just before the announcement, but likely a day or more before.

The reason for this is if you want the biggest impact for your announcement, you want everyone who was under the NDA/Embargo - photographers, columnists, reviewers, etc. - to be crowing about your product at the same time as your announcement.
unfocused is right - normally the Canon announcements hit the website like DPReview.com at midnight Eastern (GMT-4 or 5 depending on daylight savings) followed by or at the same time as Canon UK / Canon Europe and some of the Canon Asia groups post press releases.  Canon USA usually follows around 8 or 9am Eastern.  DPReview and imaging-resource.com are generally the first sites to (officially) announce the new products and are generally the best place to check at midnight Eastern.

Also, CR often posts product shots and other leaks anywhere from the final few hours to about 3 days out - which is another reason CR rules :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 01:50:33 PM »

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
Fair, but it does confirm that the 7D replacement is coming in September...something that had only been CR2 until this point. And as we've learned with CR2's in the past, that could mean something is years away.

At least now we know when the forums will be flooded with people complaining

Actually, I interpret it as probably expecting the official ANNOUNCEMENT in September.  The product could be released shortly thereafter, or much later.  The 100-400 and 1DX come to mind...

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »
The trouble is that no matter how big a sensible hat I put on I just can't help getting excited  8)
Sounds like Canon are about to really push the boat out....... yeh I know I know  ;D

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »

Do they usually expire or get lifted before the product is announced, or do companies purposely set the NDA expiration date after their projected announcement date and then lift it once the announcement is made?

I'm guessing the latter. It doesn't seem like they would lift an NDA until they release or announce the product.

So, if the NDAs expire in September, that would be the latest date for a release announcement?

You pretty much want the NDA/Embargo to be lifted coincidentally with if not slightly before the actual announcement. Example: Canon wants to announce something on date X. The NDA/embargo would be lifted at the very latest just before the announcement, but likely a day or more before.

The reason for this is if you want the biggest impact for your announcement, you want everyone who was under the NDA/Embargo - photographers, columnists, reviewers, etc. - to be crowing about your product at the same time as your announcement.

Yeah, as often happens, I don't think I was as clear as I should have been about what I meant. My point really was that if Canon tells those under the NDA/Embargo that "The embargo will expire in September" then it's a near certainty that it will indeed expire in September, because it would be very hard to put the genie back in the bottle and say, "Oh wait, we are now extending the embargo until Oct. 7."

On the other hand, if they tell those under the embargo that it will expire on, say Sept. 15, it is a lot easier to then notify everyone that "we are moving the release date up, so instead of Sept. 15, it will now expire Sept. 7."

I guess what I was clumsily trying to suggest is that if there is a CR3 rumor that the NDAs will expire in September, we can say with some certainty that the announcement will occur no later than September.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
Any speculations on what *else* the lens could be if not the 100-400L successor?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing them revisit the 10x zoom lenses. I had a 35-350L for a short time, with failing AF so returned to dealer. Although it wasn't quite as good as the 100-400L on the long end, the extra wide end was welcome. I know the 28-300L replaced that, but we're getting a bit short again. Perhaps something like the Sigma 50-500 given the L treatment?

Knowing my luck, it'll be another 400mm f/5.6 prime...
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
CR3 makes this near real...right?

Real.  Just like aliens.

Aliens are real; the people who report seeing them, but consistently fail to get high-quality photos/video, despite the near-ubiquity of adequate-quality recording equipment, are not.   :P

rrcphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 03:11:51 PM »

Yeah, as often happens, I don't think I was as clear as I should have been about what I meant. My point really was that if Canon tells those under the NDA/Embargo that "The embargo will expire in September" then it's a near certainty that it will indeed expire in September, because it would be very hard to put the genie back in the bottle and say, "Oh wait, we are now extending the embargo until Oct. 7."

On the other hand, if they tell those under the embargo that it will expire on, say Sept. 15, it is a lot easier to then notify everyone that "we are moving the release date up, so instead of Sept. 15, it will now expire Sept. 7."

I guess what I was clumsily trying to suggest is that if there is a CR3 rumor that the NDAs will expire in September, we can say with some certainty that the announcement will occur no later than September.

There's no telling.. it's a legally binding signed contract, witnessed and everything stating what the terms and conditions are, and that would include when the agreement is set to expire.  so the people that have the NDA also know the exact date, which of course they aren't allowed to disclose either.

IMO - I think that's why we got weird announcements in the past because NDA's were expiring and canon wasn't ready to release.  so they did a development announcement.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:13:36 PM by rrcphoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 03:11:51 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
I for one am disgusted that the new camera does not include an integrated popcorn maker and cheese grater.
(just trying to beat the rush)  :o ;D ;)
Your expectations are very low ... along with the "popcorn maker and cheese grater" I also want an integrated coffee maker. ;D :D
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

ITshooter

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »

I work in the media and deal with NDAs daily.

The NDAs usually expire concurrent to the announcement, sometimes shortly before. Availability is a completely different issue. Canon isn't the only company that announces products months ahead of availability, nor the the only one who misses advertised shipping deadlines. 

While it's not the norm, companies sometimes delay embargoes. I haven't worked specifically with Canon, but I work with a lot of companies that are of similar scale and play in some of the same spaces, as well as some significantly bigger companies. The media gets alerted late in the game; professional photographers, retailers, etc. will get an earlier look. If NDAs can change as far into the game as the media-alert stage, then I am sure they can change during the earlier stuff with pro photogs, etc. I've seen some sloppiness around NDAs from external PR agencies, but internal teams are pretty sharp, and I suspect anyone who knows about the 7D replacement (or whatever) right now is working directly with Canon. If Canon needs to move an NDA, it's not going to fall out of touch with those guys. Likewise, I doubt it will have trouble keeping in line those who were already going to honor the embargo in the first place. When the media gets involved, it's a mess, but at this stage, anyone who's been using the device is in a really select group. The reported retail demonstrations open Canon up to a bit more leak vulnerability, I suppose. Anyhow, leaks often come from someone inside the company, or from someone the person holding the NDA happens to inadvertently or ill-advisedly talk to, but less often (at least in my experience) from the person under NDA him/herself.
Cameras - 5D Mark III, 60D, EOS-M; Primes - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; Zooms - Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/4 L

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »
I for one am disgusted that the new camera does not include an integrated popcorn maker and cheese grater.
Your expectations are very low ... along with the "popcorn maker and cheese grater" I also want an integrated coffee maker. ;D :D
You guys are really missing it - what you really want is the kitchen sink - which is the only thing missing from the 1D X ;D

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »
My body is ready.

justawriter

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
You guys are really missing it - what you really want is the kitchen sink - which is the only thing missing from the 1D X ;D
And a pony. No pony is a complete dealbreaker.

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »
And a pony. No pony is a complete dealbreaker.

You're really aiming low with the pony.  My threshold is a unicorn.  But not your ordinary petting zoo unicorn.  No, I want a unicorn who farts rainbows (pot of gold at the end included - leprechaun too!) and poops glitter.  And not just regular old glitter.  This is the most beautiful glitter you've ever seen with 48 stops of dynamic range and it's incredibly sharp too!  It's sharpness is so otherworldly that the DxO charts turn black instead of intense green.  But there's a built in safety protocol with this glitter so that users don't get cut - it disappears when you touch it, like an exploding bubble.  And when it explodes all it leaves behind is visual euphoria, like when you saw boobies for the first time.

This unicorn dispenses hot fudge from it's horn.  Why hot fudge?  Because the tripod mount dispenses your favorite flavor of ice cream whenever you rotate the mode dial all the way around in a counter clockwise motion.  THAT'S WHY!

THEN... I'll buy it.

Maybe.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »

Khufu

• Rebel SL1
  • So, this is my "personal text"! What's that mean?
    • View Profile
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 05:07:21 PM »
Any speculations on what *else* the lens could be if not the 100-400L successor?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing them revisit the 10x zoom lenses. I had a 35-350L for a short time, with failing AF so returned to dealer. Although it wasn't quite as good as the 100-400L on the long end, the extra wide end was welcome. I know the 28-300L replaced that, but we're getting a bit short again. Perhaps something like the Sigma 50-500 given the L treatment?

Knowing my luck, it'll be another 400mm f/5.6 prime...

I freaking love my 400mm f/5.6L - but can't imagine an update is on its way. There's going to be the 100-400mm L IS II (with built in unicorn horn screw mount) and asides from a new optical formula, which really isn't bad at all for 5D3 resolution, other upgrades like implementing IS just seem like they'd detract from the niche sellibg points of the prime, namely that it's a small, light workhorse! (...and may eat into 100-400mm sales with less profit if it competes/betters it at 400mm and with IS)
5D3 // 70D // EOS M // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // Samsung NX1000 & 16/2.4 & 30/2 & EF Adpt // SONY HDR FX1000 // Canon XM2 & HV20 // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »
And, anywhere from a day to just over a week before the embargo is lifted, there is a 50% chance that some obscure Canon subsidiary's web site will "accidentally" display a specification page, repair manual, or other tidbit that pretty much spills the beans.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »