October 01, 2014, 11:15:02 PM

Author Topic: RLPhotos first impressions of the 16-35mm f/4L - Video  (Read 4567 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: RLPhotos first impressions of the 16-35mm f/4L - Video
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 12:22:54 AM »
Thanks to those who replied to my question, it makes more sense to me now, and I appreciate your insight.  Sometimes it's hard to understand why people enjoy a certain thing when you much prefer the opposite, and is why I was curious and asked.

To bdunbar79, any sense of entitlement you perceive is your own creation, because there is none.  I apologized in advance in case anyone misjudged my tone, and explained why I prefer a text version, and was seeking an explanation "from the other side", so to speak.  Apparently you just enjoy causing arguments, of which I will not give you the pleasure of.

No Mayo, where did I ever say I was not trying to draw attention to myself at work?  Not being able to watch that long of a video does not equate to trying not to draw attention on myself.  I explained numerous times how I wanted to find out the reasons for a video instead of text.  Obviously, I prefer text.  When did it become wrong to try to see the other side?  Where I come from, that's admirable, not arrogant.

Or simply, you can ask RLPhoto for a transcription or text version.  Then everybody's happy. Everybody got his own preference.  Just my 2 cents, if you don't prefer videos, then just simply don't bother with the post and move on or ask if he's offering the same review in your preferred format.  You're clearly inviting arguments when you write your heavily opinionated statements there. ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 12:22:54 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »
My First test of time lapse using Canon 16-35 f/4 IS.

Somehow Lightroom is cutting the image from sides. Is there any setting that I am missing in Lightroom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Agko15_H4

LR could be applying Auto Adjustments at import. You can switch those off under Preferences. Also, check your import settings to ensure no presets are being applied accidentally.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

benperrin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Perrin Photography
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »
Great review. My 17-40 is being sold tomorrow and I'm just itching to take out my new 16-35 f4. Also thank-you for mentioning that tripods aren't allowed everywhere. Some people just don't seem to understand that point. The 16-35 seems to be better in every scenario so I'm already thinking I made the right choice. Thanks again for the effort you put into making these videos.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
Thanks to those who replied to my question, it makes more sense to me now, and I appreciate your insight.  Sometimes it's hard to understand why people enjoy a certain thing when you much prefer the opposite, and is why I was curious and asked.

To bdunbar79, any sense of entitlement you perceive is your own creation, because there is none.  I apologized in advance in case anyone misjudged my tone, and explained why I prefer a text version, and was seeking an explanation "from the other side", so to speak.  Apparently you just enjoy causing arguments, of which I will not give you the pleasure of.

No Mayo, where did I ever say I was not trying to draw attention to myself at work?  Not being able to watch that long of a video does not equate to trying not to draw attention on myself.  I explained numerous times how I wanted to find out the reasons for a video instead of text.  Obviously, I prefer text.  When did it become wrong to try to see the other side?  Where I come from, that's admirable, not arrogant.

Or simply, you can ask RLPhoto for a transcription or text version.  Then everybody's happy. Everybody got his own preference.  Just my 2 cents, if you don't prefer videos, then just simply don't bother with the post and move on or ask if he's offering the same review in your preferred format.  You're clearly inviting arguments when you write your heavily opinionated statements there. ::)

Exactly!  If you are GENUINELY wanting to know why he chose video over text, you would have contacted him directly, asked him, gotten the information, and had been done with it.  Instead, you chose the route you did.  Or better, you could have read Bryan Carnathan's review (text with pictures) instead.  Much easier choices.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »
Ramon, first of all, I think your profile pic is awesome man, great job and cool perspective. What camera did you create this video with? Thanks, Eric.
Thank you. I put some thought into making a neat avatar.

In the video I used a 5d3+24-70 and a galaxy note 3 @ 4k. Audio was taken from a H4n+Rode NTG2. The voice overs were done on a shure SM7b.

@soulesspolack I won't write a written review as bryan at TDP has a better writeup and real test charts if your interested in that. This was simply my impressions on the lens.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:55:17 PM by RLPhoto »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 01:17:19 AM »
My last post to wrap up this thread. A final goodbye to the 17-40L for me and looking back at some of my favorite photos it captured before it's sold on evilbay.

Canon EF 17-40 F/4  L USM Review: http://youtu.be/OWK68nuC_hE

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
I scanned/skimmed all the responses/comments on this thread about the new 16-35/F4 IS Lens.  Unfortunately, instead of discussing the lens, for the most part everyone just discussed RLPhoto's chosen video review method and more comments on each others' posts/personal views or asswholishness.

So to follow the flow of this thread, I guess I should comment on the comments... or wait, maybe not.  Who cares?  I read the CR Forum because it's NOT like most other threads that degenerate into petty comments about irrelevant things like whether RL should or should not have used video, if other posters are polite enough or whatever else.  Aww crap... I just commented on the comments.   ::)

RLPhoto - great job.  I viewed the videos from the perspective of joining you at your house for a beer while you share your new lens.  The videos came across that way with informed thoughts and information.  I can read written reviews in many places and it was nice to put a face/voice with a name after all this time.  Next time however, might I suggest at least 2 or 3 hot babes dancing while you do the video review.  That might distract anyone that would otherwise notice other problems with your video or methods.   :P

Question:  I assume that what you are shooting at F4 with IS allowing you to extend shutter time to almost a second in low light is a still subject, correct?  Because if the subject moves, IS is useless.  I know you are aware of this but didn't mention it in the video.  No big deal but some folks might forget that little fact.

I am impressed with the idea of using IR to expose hot spots of the lens.  Great!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 10:14:35 PM »
My last post to wrap up this thread. A final goodbye to the 17-40L for me and looking back at some of my favorite photos it captured before it's sold on evilbay.

Very cool little discussion that really makes me want to take some ND filters with me more often.  Thanks for the nice walk through some of your fun images and their back story.  This helps inspire me to try more stuff, even when I'm tired or not always in the mood while travelling!

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »

Very cool little discussion that really makes me want to take some ND filters with me more often.  Thanks for the nice walk through some of your fun images and their back story.  This helps inspire me to try more stuff, even when I'm tired or not always in the mood while travelling!
Thank you rusty. I know what it's like to travel around and arrive late at the hotel. You end up wanting to just sleep the night away but we could miss so many opportunities. I can't say how important it is, no matter what lens you got, to stay out a bit later and strive to make some cool photos.

I didn't know at the the time that this photo would make it on the cover of the London Planner, but hey! I'm glad I stayed out longer. :) I'd highly recommend a set of NDs for your travel photos.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:49:51 PM by RLPhoto »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 09:00:36 AM »
RL, congrats on the cover shot!  Great work and it's always exciting to get published on the cover.  I agree with your comments 100% - many of my best shots were taken when I decided to hang around for 10 more minutes or go down one more road, trail, etc.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »

Thank you rusty. I know what it's like to travel around and arrive late at the hotel. You end up wanting to just sleep the night away but we could miss so many opportunities. I can't say how important it is, no matter what lens you got, to stay out a bit later and strive to make some cool photos.

I didn't know at the the time that this photo would make it on the cover of the London Planner, but hey! I'm glad I stayed out longer. :) I'd highly recommend a set of NDs for your travel photos.

Priceless, Congrats RLPhoto  ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »
RL, do you have a favorite set of ND filters you typically like to carry?  Everything takes up space and weight so I figure you have 2 or 3 that you use that work best and offer the most versatility.  I've put off buying these because I figured I would eventually just purchase a variable ND filter from probably Singh-Ray with some filter adapters.  But of course that's expensive so I keep putting it off.  Thoughts?

http://www.singh-ray.com/shop/vari-nd-variable-neutral-density-filter/

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
RL, do you have a favorite set of ND filters you typically like to carry?  Everything takes up space and weight so I figure you have 2 or 3 that you use that work best and offer the most versatility.  I've put off buying these because I figured I would eventually just purchase a variable ND filter from probably Singh-Ray with some filter adapters.  But of course that's expensive so I keep putting it off.  Thoughts?

For my NDs, it's all LEE filters. My polarizers are all B+W screw on and combining both together get me what I need.

I have
1. 2 stop pro glass LEE ND.
2. 10 Stop glass Big Stopper LEE ND.
3. 2 stop resin hard and soft edged LEE NDs.
4. All the wide angle adapter rings.

If I use a polarizer, I use B+W Kaesmann x-s slim mount filters then the Lee system on top. It works pretty well @ 17mm with some slight vignette but disappears by 19mm. I have no vignette if I just use the LEE system alone.

Good filters are worth the cash and actually hold some value over time. I like to buy once and use them for years instead of cheaping out and getting something subpar and having to buy again. I don't have experience with Singh ray filters and Don't own a variable ND. :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:32:52 PM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »

For my NDs, it's all LEE filters. My polarizers are all B+W screw on and combining both together get me what I need.

I have
1. 2 stop pro glass LEE ND.
2. 10 Stop glass Big Stopper LEE ND.
3. 2 stop resin hard and soft edged LEE NDs.
4. All the wide angle adapter rings.

If I use a polarizer, I use B+W Kaesmann x-s slim mount filters then the Lee system on top. It works pretty well @ 17mm with some slight vignette but disappears by 19mm. I have no vignette if I just use the LEE system alone.

Good filters are worth the cash and actually hold some value over time. I like to buy once and use them for years instead of cheaping out and getting something subpar and having to buy again. I don't have experience with Singh ray filters and Don't own a variable ND. :P

Thanks for the ultra-fast reply post RL!  I agree and do the same, buy the higher quality filters, etc and keep them a long time.  Cheap = disposable which has it's merits/uses as well but most of the time I prefer a much harder, more durable filter that will last for years and provide better images along the way.  For instance, I use cheaper clear filters when shooting swimming because the chlorinated pool water splashes can damage the filter coatings.

I'll consider your filter method before I purchase.  But if I get the variable ND instead, I'll try to provide you some feedback if it works as well as I've read some photographers have said.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »