August 20, 2014, 01:38:43 AM

Author Topic: Anyone own both Canon and Nikon  (Read 5499 times)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone own both Canon and Nikon
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 01:44:31 AM »
As usual, this query garners fervent rhetoric from those faithfully wedded to Canon. :)

I just re-read the entire thread and didn't see any "fervent rhetoric;"  would you mind pointing it out?  What I see are measured, thoughtful responses about different offerings.
yup, missed that on my proof-read
should be
Usually this query garners fervent rhetoric...
tho it's still early and the original version could turn out correct after a while. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 01:44:31 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 02:04:46 AM »
If you're not in a rush I would wait for Photokina and see if Canon comes out with a body that tickles your fancy.

Thanks everyone for their thoughtful comments.  No, I will wait until Photokina.

If Canon introduces dual pixel (as expected) with improved DR and a strong competitor to the Nikon 14-28, I will be very happy. 7D M2 (or what ever it is called) will be the beginning of a new sensor series.  I would like to see the 5D M4 soon with dual sensor but that is a dream right now.

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 05:18:30 AM »

Does anyone shoot both Canon and Nikon - Canon for long lens and Nikon for wide angles?  Experience?  Thoughts?

With the D800 I can get better image quality , but there are a few caveats: minor vibrations are a problem (that in my case doesn't occur that often because of flash useage. Which highlights something important to me: I only need about 60% of the flash power compared to the 5D3) and you need lenses that make actually use of the resolution. The 24-70/2.8s and 70-200/2.8s of both brands get me about equal detail, with the tilt/shift lenses its 3:1 for Canon. That and the RT system make the D800 a special purpose tool, unless you're hitting hard limits that cut into revenue with the 5D3 I'd see what we get for a 5D4 - either its the long term economical choise or the D810 has settled to a market determinated price instead of MSRP.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »
Like others, I tried a Nikon D800e and was driven nuts by the ergonomics/menu system.  Of course, one can get used to that, but I might be inclined to suggest a rather different solution if you don't need AF: get a Sony A7r instead.  Aside from costing much less than the D810, it can be used with all your Canon lenses as well as the Nikon 14-24 (does anyone suggest that the Nikon 24-70 is as good as, let alone better than, the Canon 24-70II?).   Some who have used both the Sony A7r and the D800e report that the Sony has even better image quality, though of course there's no way of knowing yet how it compares with the D810.  Either way, I think those who warn about how difficult it is to obtain very high image quality with these 36mp sensors overstate their case - you can get great results hand-held, and while the very best lenses may be necessary for ultimate performance, you can get impressive results with other lenses too (I recently took a series of photos with an old Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 lens on my A7r - very pleasing results).

NancyP

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »
I am bicameral, tri-lens: Canon DSLRs, Sigma DPMerrill fixed-lens compacts, and a mix of Canon lenses and old manual M42 and AI/AI-S Nikkor lenses on adapters. Note that you can't root around in the back of the closet for old non-Nikkor lenses to put on Nikon DSLR bodies. Canon flange to sensor distance is 44.5 mm, Nikon F2S distance is 42mm, so there is a space for a Nikkor F or G to EOS adapter but not vice versa. So far, my inherited Nikkors getting most use are the 105mm f/2.5 and 50mm f/1.2. They fill a gap between my native Canon full frame lenses 35mm and 180mm. Are they "better" than Canon offerings? Who knows? They ARE cheaper, being free.

I am thrilled with the 6D and for the time being I am not feeling pixel-deprived. I have heard that Canon does live view better than Nikon, and I use live view a lot (essentially for all landscape and most macro).

SiliconVoid

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:06 AM »
This is late (I do not get to sit down at a computer as often) but if you are simply after resolution and hate shadows in your images, I would suggest as some others have done - which is something like the A7R. Purely as a 'digital back' for whatever lenses you wish to use.

As for lenses, I would strongly suggest a couple of Canon's TS lenses before the Nikon's, simply because many of Nikon's lenses of recent years rely a good deal on in-camera corrections, which has allowed Nikon to slack on physical IQ in the lenses. This means that when not used on a Nikon body the lenses do not perform as well. Canon on the other hand, which only recently included/support lens correction in-camera on the very latest bodies, have had to maintain a little higher physical IQ in the lenses.

Sure, most pp software provides lens correction, but not on off-brand combinations.. so you will not get the proper corrections on something like the 14-24mm when used on the Sony body as you would on a Nikon body, and the same goes for the 17mm or 24mm TS on the Sony body, but the Canon's would need less correction to begin with.

Rental of your proposed setup will provide the best information regardless..

To give you an idea on what benefit in-camera corrections can make, DxO has the opportunity to test lenses on an independent body - a real measure of how a lens is designed, built, and performs - by testing on something like the A7R (as it has the same resolution that DxO says makes all the difference in the world) but stated that most people purchasing something like a Nikon lens would be using it on a Nikon body, and therefore any compensated benefits to be had in that combination are relevant to the lenses performance scores.
(Even though in-camera corrections mask the lenses physical design and performance)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:53:18 AM by SiliconVoid »
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »
As usual, this query garners fervent rhetoric from those faithfully wedded to Canon. :)

I just re-read the entire thread and didn't see any "fervent rhetoric;"  would you mind pointing it out?  What I see are measured, thoughtful responses about different offerings.

Hi orangutan, just look at the post from Aglet.  You will soon see plentiful amounts of fervour.   :)
but I'm so glad he has pointed out all that banding in my images. Just imaging all this time all these photos and I've never noticed it. I must be a rubbish photographer. I must rush out and become a fervently passionate Nikon owner.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »

quod

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 06:43:11 AM »
Does anyone shoot both Canon and Nikon - Canon for long lens and Nikon for wide angles?  Experience?  Thoughts?
I owned the 14-24mm, which I only shot on my 5D3 (I sold it recently).  The lens is really big and heavy, and takes a LOT of space in the bag.  I found it to be about as sharp as my TS-E 17mm, and the sharpness is edge-to-edge, with little distortion.  Since I was shooting manually via an adapter, I suspect that it would be sharper on a Nikon body.  It has a fair amount of chromatic aberration.  It has little coma.  It can flair, but it did not flair as much as I thought it would.  I use filters quite a bit and missed them when using this lens.  There are kits that you can buy, but they are expensive and take up a lot of space in the bag.  The lens renders beautifully.  More than any lens in my kit, images from this lens had a painterly look to them and a subtle 3D pop; a little like HDR, but without the HDR.

My general impression is that it is a great lens, but the price you pay is an exposed front element, massive size, and chromatic aberration.  Since I use it exclusively for landscape, I found that I did not need the f/2.8 aperture, and as a result, the 16-35 f/4 makes a lot more sense for my type of shooting since I rarely venture from f/5.6 to f/11 or so.  Hope this helps.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 06:33:55 PM »
This is late (I do not get to sit down at a computer as often) but if you are simply after resolution and hate shadows in your images, I would suggest as some others have done - which is something like the A7R. Purely as a 'digital back' for whatever lenses you wish to use.

As for lenses, I would strongly suggest a couple of Canon's TS lenses before the Nikon's, simply because many of Nikon's lenses of recent years rely a good deal on in-camera corrections, which has allowed Nikon to slack on physical IQ in the lenses. This means that when not used on a Nikon body the lenses do not perform as well. Canon on the other hand, which only recently included/support lens correction in-camera on the very latest bodies, have had to maintain a little higher physical IQ in the lenses.

Sure, most pp software provides lens correction, but not on off-brand combinations.. so you will not get the proper corrections on something like the 14-24mm when used on the Sony body as you would on a Nikon body, and the same goes for the 17mm or 24mm TS on the Sony body, but the Canon's would need less correction to begin with.

Rental of your proposed setup will provide the best information regardless..

To give you an idea on what benefit in-camera corrections can make, DxO has the opportunity to test lenses on an independent body - a real measure of how a lens is designed, built, and performs - by testing on something like the A7R (as it has the same resolution that DxO says makes all the difference in the world) but stated that most people purchasing something like a Nikon lens would be using it on a Nikon body, and therefore any compensated benefits to be had in that combination are relevant to the lenses performance scores.
(Even though in-camera corrections mask the lenses physical design and performance)

Interesting comments about Nikon lens and in camera corrections.  I had not heard that but I know little of Nikon.  That is one of the reasons I started this thread.

I go back and forth on the A7R.  Great camera but wonder if I could use a camera without an optical viewfinder.

Now only Canon would introduce a 5D M4 with dual pixels to dramatically increase DR :)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »

Hi orangutan, just look at the post from Aglet.  You will soon see plentiful amounts of fervour.   :)
but I'm so glad he has pointed out all that banding in my images. Just imaging all this time all these photos and I've never noticed it. I must be a rubbish photographer. I must rush out and become a fervently passionate Nikon owner.

banding's for birds ;)
ease off on the unsharp mask too, halos are for angels. ;D /dig
actually, I like some of the shots you've posted.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 08:59:15 AM »
Before the 5D3, I was strongly Considering selling all my canon kit at the time to jump for the d700 for the AF and nikons superb flash system. Then that all changed when with the 5D3 + 600RT combo.

I tried the d800 for a weekend and it felt like nikon lost what made the d700 so good. It felt clunkier, less comfortable in the hand, the left AF focusing issue did consistently show it's face, and to top it all off, the AF was slower with primes than my canon.

The files had some more detail and the shadows recovered nicely but who cares? It hurt my hand, and frustrated me when I had to return to using pocketwizards for flash. The d700 was a general purpose camera that could do most anything well and the d800 is a special purpose camera that does one thing exceptionally at the cost of everything else. Maybe they fixed the issues with later models but it doesn't change the bad ergos and the now inferior flash system.

Perhaps not buying a d700 was the best decision I could have made because I'd be stuck with nikon at this time.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 03:07:33 PM »

I don't think you're right about off-brand combinations.  In LR, I can use a profile for any lens I attach to my Sony A7r & a6000 (provided they have one for that lens in the first place, of course); with my Canon lenses, the corrections seem to work exactly the same way regardless of whether they're on my Sony or Canon bodies.  The only difference is that with off-brand lenses you have to take an additional step and manually select the lens - you can't just check a box and have the corrections applied automatically.

As for Nikon, do their dslr in-camera corrections apply to RAW files as well to jpegs?  That seems to be the case with m43 cameras (at least when using LR), but is it true of Nikon dslrs too?

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:48 AM »
@RLP

OTOH, my D800s I find very comfortable to hold and carry for long periods, never use any kind of strap, they balance nicely with mid-weight zooms and AF (landscape) with great precision at every point even in very low light and low contrast subjects.
I never used a D700 but do hear plenty of raves about it.  FWIW, out of over 80 DSLR camera bodies (some duplicates of course) I've used in my database, I find the d800 to be the most enjoyable with the d5100/5300 being my preferred consumer crop bodies.  7D, 40-50-60D, 5D2 and 5D3 I also like the fit and feel of but I sometimes need to really stretch the limits of a raw file and the Nik's help me out there better than the Canon goods can.

I also regularly use various Pentax bodies and enjoy the fit and feel of them but they have a few minor ergonomic issues and poor placement of some controls that get in the way at times.

The only bad feel, hurt my hands cameras I've ever grabbed are the D7x00 and D6x0 series Nikons; I find them just plain aweful.  Bought a second d800 because the d600 was such an uncomfortable thing to use as a 2nd body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:48 AM »

Dave Williams

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 07:09:31 AM »
I was all Nikon.. I had a D200,D300s plus 500mmf4,70-200f2.8,300mmf2.8, all three TC's, and an 18-70.
For wildlife photography reach is usually a priority so when someone offered me a Canon 1DMk11 plus a 600mmf4 IS L at an incredible price I had to take it. I soon traded the 1D11 for a 1D1V and suddenly my best body and lens were both Canon. For a while I continued with both but you soon realise it's not practical. Lenses might last for a long time but keeping up with technological changes in bodies would be ridiculously expensive if you updated both systems on a regular basis because bodies loose value far too quickly.
I'm now firmly in Canon's camp having replaced everything I had on an almost like for like basis.
I think there is little to separate the two for most of the time. Canon probably have a bigger market for their telephoto lenses so there are more rapid  innovations, and more second hand availability than for Nikon's gear.
I did think perhaps that Nikon had the edge on bodies for a while but I'm delighted with my 5D111 and 1DX.
I think too many sing the praises of their kit without knowledge of how other brands compare as they haven't used them. Things like feel and layout are fairly irrelevant as you soon get the hang of each brand after using for a while and lets face it there are changes between bodies within the brands too.

dshipley

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »
I've owned/shot both system professionally. Either system is plenty capable and really the biggest factor for landscapes between the two really comes down to Nikon having the 14-24 f/2.8 and the Exmor 36mp sensor while Canon has more TS-E lens options.

Now, if you're only shooting landscapes the 14-24 f/2.8 isn't a huge deal as Canon bodies can use the lens with a lens adapter (I did this many times back when I owned a 5D2 and the 14-24 f/2.8).

So ask yourself the following...

1. How much does the difference between the two sensors matter to you?
2. Do you plan to/would you like to use TS-E lenses? (If so Canon might be the better choice)
3. Do you have any family, close friends, etc that are already invested into one system? (It's always nice have the option to be able to borrow/try out gear if they'll let you).
4. Will you only be shooting landscapes? (If not the 5D3 is, in my opinion, a more well-rounded camera body than the D800/810)
5DIII w/ BG-E11
16-35 f/4 L IS, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 135L
(2) Einstein e640 w/ CC & CST

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »