July 30, 2014, 08:03:14 PM

Author Topic: Eos7D mk2, How EXCITED will you be if . . .?  (Read 22507 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Eos7D mk2, How EXCITED will you be if . . .?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 08:42:51 PM »
I'm much more inclined to believe Canon will do to the 7DII pricing what they did to the 5DIII pricing- add on $1000 bucks to the price of the predecessor.

$2499 at start.

They raised the 5-series price substantially, which left a gap to be filled by the 6D.  With what will Canon fill the $1500 gap between the $1K 70D and your proposed 250% higher-priced 7D?  There may be quite a few 7D owners who would upgrade to a 7DII...but there's a far larger customer base of Rebel/xxxD and xxD owners that Canon would like to see upgrade, and a >$1800 7DII will preclude most of that.

$1699 at launch.

Neuro, you're right on the key question -- is this the step-up body for the Rebel masses, or is this the super high end crop tool sports/wildlife people want?

If it's the former, I think they'll nerf the camera from getting all of the 5D3's hand-me-down upgrades from the 1Dx (perhaps have a nicer-but-not-1DX/5D3-nicer AF system) and keep the price low like you said.

But if it's the latter, it could be a "crop 5D3" with the great 1DX/5D3 AF system and a higher burst rate.  That camera will be north of $2k.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 08:42:51 PM »

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »

I'd thought we'd start the week looking forward to something.  What features / performance levels would get you excited about the 7D2? 

I want a positive statement from you about what would legitimately fire you up to own a 7D2.   No snarky "APS-C is not for me so I'll say 'A 50 MP FF sensor', ha ha" stuff.  Seriously, what would get you excited when the 7D2 announcement comes?

- A

Disclaimer:  I'm not trying poke fun at Ivan's original thread so much as build some excitement around a release.  Mondays need positive thoughts because they are, in fact, Mondays.

...A 50MP APS-C sensor... Seriously, the pixel density on that would be amazing.
-100% RAW-

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »

I'd thought we'd start the week looking forward to something.  What features / performance levels would get you excited about the 7D2? 

I want a positive statement from you about what would legitimately fire you up to own a 7D2.   No snarky "APS-C is not for me so I'll say 'A 50 MP FF sensor', ha ha" stuff.  Seriously, what would get you excited when the 7D2 announcement comes?

- A

Disclaimer:  I'm not trying poke fun at Ivan's original thread so much as build some excitement around a release.  Mondays need positive thoughts because they are, in fact, Mondays.

...A 50MP APS-C sensor... Seriously, the pixel density on that would be amazing.

I was going to say "No requests for APS-H" but then I knew everyone would ask for it. 

We forum dwellers do not like to color within the lines, do we?   :P

- A

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »
Now ask yourself, really crudely:  how many of the above categories -- AF system, max shutter speed, VF coverage and burst rate -- will the 7D2 fall on the 5D3 side versus the 6D side?  My money on the 7D2 will be that all four of those will be on the high end, i.e. the on the +$1500 camera side of things.

Compared to the 6D, the current 7D has better AF, 1-stop faster max shutter (1/8000 s, same as 5DIII), better VF coverage (100%), and faster burst rate (8 fps, actually 33% faster than the 5DIII).  How do those features justify a >$2K price?  At launch the 7D was less than current rebated pricing on the 6D, and today the 7D costs the same as a 70D.  What the 7D doesn't have – and nor will the 7DII – is a FF sensor.

I do understand lots of people on this forum want an APS-C version of the 5DIII.  I think that's what they'll get, for the most part...as far as features go, but not even close on IQ.  But Canon likely knows what lots of people in the real world (a number several orders of magnitude larger than this microcosm) want, and I really doubt the majority want a $2500 APS-C camera.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
If it were mirrorless w EVF & IBIS, both at least as good as Olympus OMDs', and had image quality that's significantly better than an SL1's, I might be interested (not excited, though, barring some technological revolution that makes it as good as FF for image quality).  Chances of any such combination showing up strike as being as close to zero as makes no difference, however, so for APS-C purposes I'll stick with my SL1 & Sony a6000 for a while longer.  I'm afraid my reaction to dslr announcements is "oh, not again"....

(If I only shot APS-C, regularly photographed herons-catching-fish, and didn't have FF my response might be a bit different, I suppose.)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2014, 09:01:54 PM »
Clearly, it will not have the AF system of the 1Dx and will not have nearly the IQ of the 5D3.  And I don't get why people keep putting the AF system of the 1Dx/5D3.  The 1Dx and 5D3 do not have the same AF system.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

shunsai

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »

They raised the 5-series price substantially, which left a gap to be filled by the 6D.  With what will Canon fill the $1500 gap between the $1K 70D and your proposed 250% higher-priced 7D?  There may be quite a few 7D owners who would upgrade to a 7DII...but there's a far larger customer base of Rebel/xxxD and xxD owners that Canon would like to see upgrade, and a >$1800 7DII will preclude most of that.

$1699 at launch.

For a while, the original 7D will fill in that gap. Then will eventually come along the 80D.

I would love to believe you're right- I'm not a fan of Canon's current pricing scheme. But I was personally gobsmacked by the $3500 price tag of the 5D3. I would love to believe that that was an isolated case and that Canon still engages in sensible pricing when it comes to upgrades, but I'm not inclined to believe that Canon is that principled. They will charge what they think they can get for it, not based on how neatly it fits into a pricing tier.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »

$1699 at launch.

For a while, the original 7D will fill in that gap. Then will eventually come along the 80D.

The original 7D is now the same price as the 70D, and when the $100 rebate on the 70D expires next month, the 7D will be cheaper.  It's not going to be filling any gaps, sorry. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

gsealy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2014, 09:12:07 PM »
It seems to me that the 7D line is about a camera that is rugged and can take extreme conditions, such rain and snow, heat and cold.  I expect it to stay that way. So it appeals to people who are out in the wild or at sporting events who take massive amounts of photos seeking to get that one special shot. We can expect a 150-200K shutter count rating.  I expect we'll see faster and better AF, maybe 12 FPS, better low light performance, and higher resolution than in the current 7DI.  Given we have video pervasiveness, the 7DII will likely have clean HDMI out that can be stored in a recording device.  4K is very possible.  Is it exciting for me?  No, only because I have a 5DIII and other cameras.  I would be thinking about a new 7DI though at a very cheap price.   I do like work horses, and the 7DI is one. 

can0nfan2379

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
I'd like the 7D2 to fill the place of the 1D4....essentially I'd like a 1 series APC weather sealed, wildlife monster.

I would spend 3000-3200 on that in a heart beat and I'm sure many other wildlife / sports guys would also.  For other stuff I'll hold onto my 5D3.
5D3  |  Zeiss ZE 21/2.8  |  Zeiss ZE 50/2.0  |  EF 85 1.2LII  |  EF 70-200 2.8L IS I  |  EF 300 2.8L IS I  |  EF 500 4L IS I  |  TC 1.4x III  |  RRS MH-01 + MC34  |  F-Stop Tilopa BC

MichaelHodges

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2014, 10:06:29 PM »

The past IQ of the original 7D doesn't mean the 7D II will have the same problems. For Canon to succeed with the 7D line, the 7D II MUST have better IQ and overall performance than the 70D. It would just be a flop if it did not. If the 7D II does end up being a superior performer to the 70D...would you still adhere to the above statement? (Just curious...personally I find it odd when one single bad experience with one single product permanently taints a person's opinion of something...to me, every product generation is a chance for a new start, a chance for a company to reinvent itself, reinvigorate itself, or if necessary redeem itself (not that Canon needs redeeming, but they do need some reinvigoration in some areas.))

I battled a 7D for three years and it was never repaired properly. The customer service on top of it was the worst I've experienced.  On the first day of using the camera, it misfocused badly at telephoto. I should have just returned it, but instead I decided to let Canon do the right thing. Big mistake. I really wasted a ton of time on the issue.

I've never had a problem with a Canon body before that, or with the two bodies I bought after. I have no interest in pursuing a 7DII at all, because the 70D is stunning, and I already have a full frame to go with it.

The Mark IV and 7D, IMHO, focused poorly with certain telephotos, and shared  the AI Servo II algorithms and AF CF settings.

Sure, the 7DII could use different algorithms, but I'm just staying away. Bad karma. I came pretty close to defecting over the 7D issue.

If you need an upgrade over the 7D, get the 70D.  Why?  Better sharpness at RAW (I'd say 30-45%), better color at RAW, much more reliable focus and almost as fast. I had both cameras side by side for a month. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:18:02 PM by MichaelHodges »

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »
I just can't get excited for iq less than 5DIII with less AF ability, and less low light performance.  I don't want to settle for less fps either, so this will not be a camera for me.  I will eagerly wait to see what it offers.  I hope it satisfies the nay sayers.

sek
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

luckydude

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »
I'd like the 7D2 to fill the place of the 1D4....essentially I'd like a 1 series APC weather sealed, wildlife monster.

I would spend 3000-3200 on that in a heart beat and I'm sure many other wildlife / sports guys would also.  For other stuff I'll hold onto my 5D3.

+1 

My thoughts as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »
Not excited, it's just a thing.
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

Twostones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »
In addition to what others have desired, I would get excited if it has a price I can afford in a full size weather sealed body like the 7D or 5DIII with Eye control, 24 megapixel sensor or better and in Canon White.  My 7D gets very hot when shooting in the sun, hot enough that I am considering painting it white. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »