August 30, 2014, 08:32:25 PM

Author Topic: Any voodoo cures for Err80?  (Read 1011 times)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Any voodoo cures for Err80?
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »
One of my 1Ds3 bodies is throwing the Err80 message and hanging up, only to be awoken with battery removal. The body did not suffer any event that I saw or knew, like a fall or static discharge. I have tried three different cards in the body, and it will hang on the first shot with all of them. I left the body without its battery for a whole night as one Canon suggestion reported or quoted said a long time should be taken for reset and I was willing to try anything.

I did reformat the cards in this body during one of those cycles -- before trying an exposure. Hung again. More than one Canon lens tried, too. Batteries Canon stock. Two brands of cards eventually went in the sockets, both CF and SD.

Betting it's an expensive deep dive into the body but must pay for a fix. Anyway, I'd be hesitant to take this on a job -- unless I got a very witch-doctor certain fix. Eye of Newt anyone?

Just checking before I send it off to Irvine.

canon rumors FORUM

Any voodoo cures for Err80?
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Any voodoo cures for Err80?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »
You did do a camera reset??  I did not spot that in the list of things.  That's not a likely solution, but it helped my fix a problem once with mine after putting a 3rd party lens on it.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:26:44 AM »
Camera reset, no. Will try. But how could my Sigma 12-24 or 35f1.4 cause a problem like this? Those have been on and off my various bodies a LOT. Never a hiccup. Canon tells me this error is card related, so I like the reset idea.

BTW, I also did a full, not "Quick", format of the two cards that had been in the body when the problem was noticed. There were two shoots on the Fourth.  I might have rushed too fast to ingest images after one job and pull the cards from the reader. So the deeper format was part of the attempt to return function. But a third card also locked it up.

Will report back about reset when I get to the office.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:14:44 AM »
Hi Jonathan.
Hopefully you took out batteries as in both main and memory backup button. If not you have wasted a night, both have to be removed for a reset. Best way to check it is done, when you have the enter time and date screen when you power up.
If it is a card fault have you looked for a broken pin on the CF card connector? Don't know if that would affect the SD slot when a CF card is inserted, have you tried with just an SD card inserted?

Good luck with this, hope Irvine is not too expensive if that is where it ends up!

Cheers Graham.

I left the body without its battery for a whole night as one Canon suggestion reported or quoted said a long time should be taken for reset and I was willing to try anything.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:14:21 AM »
All the pins in the CF slot are intact (visual check only, of course) I think they are all there because I was able to format the cards in the camera one of the times I recycled power and battery. The body never complained on insertion of a different card -- the displays on top and back are just as they should be... until I press the shutter. Then the mirror flips up and stays there and a second later the error message appears in the now-cleared upper LCD info display.

And to confirm: I tried *just* the SD and then *just* the CF.

Do you know if info like shutter count are lost in a camera reset? I don't mind re-entering date and time but on these old 1-series it's good to keep track of actuations because buyers are rightfully curious what the likely wear they will encounter in the shutter mechanism. Someday I'll sell this body. I guess, though it might outlive me.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »
Hi Jonathan.
As far as I know shutter count is like a car digital odometer, stored in non volatile memory so that it stays after a reset (flat or disconnected battery). No direct knowledge of 1DsIII.
On my 7D all the custom and personalised settings are also perpetual, about the only thing lost with a both batteries reset is the date and time! Can you take a picture tethered set save to PC only to eliminate both cards, never used EOS Utility so no idea.

Cheers Graham.

All the pins in the CF slot are intact (visual check only, of course) I think they are all there because I was able to format the cards in the camera one of the times I recycled power and battery. The body never complained on insertion of a different card -- the displays on top and back are just as they should be... until I press the shutter. Then the mirror flips up and stays there and a second later the error message appears in the now-cleared upper LCD info display.

And to confirm: I tried *just* the SD and then *just* the CF.

Do you know if info like shutter count are lost in a camera reset? I don't mind re-entering date and time but on these old 1-series it's good to keep track of actuations because buyers are rightfully curious what the likely wear they will encounter in the shutter mechanism. Someday I'll sell this body. I guess, though it might outlive me.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 05:01:42 AM »
Here's what Canon tells me: my 1DsMk3 power supply had a short. A printed circuit board had to be replaced. That is outside the functions Err80 usually reports on, but "cards and control" obviously suffered in the power issue.  <grin>

Graham, your idea about trying EOS Utility to bypass cards as a diagnostic was very interesting. I do use tethering a lot. Would not have shown us the problem here.

The shutter count survived the 48-hour button-battery-less interlude.

Canon had it out the door the second day (at Irvine, California, on a Friday later morning and out with FedEx on Monday afternoon). They also cleaned the sensor and the viewfinder, gave me a shutter count. I wish they'd write the count down so I can show it to any future purchaser, but they told me over the phone. (Second time they didn't log it in writing but I am pleased by this service. Reasonable cost - especially with CPS discounts.

Thanks, all, for ideas.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 05:01:42 AM »

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
Hi Jonathan.
Glad you got it sorted, almost done before we finished offering voodoo fixes!
Out of interest did the Magic Lantern and Canon shutter counts tally?

Cheers Graham.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »