December 19, 2014, 10:54:52 PM

Author Topic: Nikon Lens on Canon Body  (Read 6461 times)

ions

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • ions' flickr
Nikon Lens on Canon Body
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »
All it takes is a simple adapter and you can play with the Nikon glass. Let's see your results!

Nikon e series 50mm on 7D

Toronto Sunset, Canon Body with a Nikon e Series Lens by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Nikon 35mm f2 on 7D

November Alysum with a Manual Nikon Lens on Canon 7D by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

canon rumors FORUM

Nikon Lens on Canon Body
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »

King Conquer

Re: Canon Body Nikon Glass!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:01:09 PM »
You TRAITOR.

pharp

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »
Yep, most of my wide angle primes are Nikon glass - Canon just doesn't appear interested in this segment. You can get several versions of many of their telephotos, but wide angles; large, pricey f/1.4 L glass or old/poor build/so so IQ ones - no contest.

ions

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • ions' flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »
I'm not a complete traitor, I just like a little action on the side. And using what I have access to. I certainly won't be switching anytime soon. I shot a wedding recently and had to use a D300s as my main body because I didn't have access to my own 24-70 but I did have access to a Nikon one. I also brought my 7D with a 70-200 but that's not particularly useful in the church for shooting the ceremony. I've used the D300s enough that I'm comfortable with it and know how to get around. The experience confirmed for me that I will never switch to Nikon. Familiar or not I vastly prefer the Canon layout ergonomics. Thumb wheel for the win! There were some other issues too, particularly I felt I was waiting for the camera in situations where my 7D wouldn't break a sweat. And that would be using the same CF cards. Nothing rigorously scientific of course, just some real world experience. That said, my 24-70 USM motor died and the Nikon one worked fine. ;)

But that won't stop me from playing with some pretty neat glass; there's a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5s in the bag I have had a chance to play with a little bit and it looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun. One more check mark in the list of Canon benefits, there's almost always an adapter so you can attach just about any lens you like.
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

handsomerob

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »
I don't think it stepping into the dark side, partially in this case, is a bad thing. If Nikon offers you the tools for your specific needs at that moment, it could be treated just as 'another 3rd party alternative', just like Sigma, Tamron, etc.

In the end Canon or Nikon or even Sony ;) it's just a tool to help you capture the moment.

briansquibb

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
I also brought my 7D with a 70-200 but that's not particularly useful in the church for shooting the ceremony.

For the wedding is 2 x 5DII, one with 24-105 for the flash shots at f/5.6 or f/8.0 and the other with the 70-200L f/2.8 II.

One ST-2E which you move and a  three 580's  and two umbrellas and that is all you need for a basic wedding shoot. You have backups should there be a failure.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who shoots other/old glass through adapters, I've mostly got Pentacon Six and Kiev 88 Medium Format glass, and a few of my mum's old M42 Asahi Pentax Takumars.
I was looking at a nikon 28/2 and 35/2 before i pulled the trigger on my Samyang 35/1.4. I'm very interested in the Nikkor 85/1.8 AF-s G (although a Nikon-G to EF adapter is a bit unwieldy and costly), it beats the sigma/samyang 85/1.4 offerings. If I had a FF i'd also be considering the nikkor 14-24, rather than wait until i'm old and grey when canon releases one...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
I have lots of glass from various camera companies and I've tried it on my Canon cameras.  Generally, older lenses do not live up to modern standards, so results are OK, but not as good as my more modern Canon lenses.

Here is one with my
Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 on my 40D.  Very difficult for me to manually focus and to get a good exposure.

I had a Nikon d40X at the time, and it worked much better on that camera.

I only bought it because it was too cheap at $1000, and later sold it.

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
When I setiched from Nikon to Canon 3 years ago (the 5D 2 was the reason), I had a 6 month old Nikon 14-24mm zoom.  A very nice lens, I bought a very nice adapter and used it a few times.  I hated it.  I had focus confirmation, but still it seem awquard, I had f stop control, but only via an odd little lever that dimmed the view... etc.

I sold the lens.  It just did not feel right.  Like driving a Ferrari down a muddy hill.

mjardeen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
This was taken with a Nikon 45 GN pancake lens. I was getting my mail and looked up and said, "oh S___!" I ran inside and grabbed my IR converted 20D and that lens. It is wicked sharp!

Tree and Clouds by mjardeen, on Flickr

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon Lens on Canon Body
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »
I just picked up a Nikon 24mm f/2 AIS and tried out my first few photos.  I assumed I could just use live view, and getting the focus I wanted would be a breeze.  Well... that works outside, if it's not so bright that it washes out the live view display.  Inside, the sensor is so dark, even when wide open at f/2, that it's pretty much hopeless.  I decided I'd have better luck if I moved up closer to my subject.  It caused some interesting perspective distortions, using a wide angle from up close, but with a little cropping, I ended up with some fabulous images.

Tea Time by yorgasor, on Flickr

Tea Time by yorgasor, on Flickr

I think I'm going to move on and try a few other old Nikon primes and see how they do.  So far, I'm really happy with this lens, but my primary drive for buying it was to reverse-attach it to my telephoto lenses and do high magnification macro photography.

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 02:23:58 AM »
It's foggy outside tonight.  I decided to try out my Nikon 24mm f/2 AIS lens again and see what I found.  This was my favorite photo:

Foggy nights, full moon by yorgasor, on Flickr

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 07:56:09 PM »
Lake Wheeler, NC at sunset, using the 24mm f/2 AIS lens on a Canon 5D3

Swirling Sunset by yorgasor, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 07:56:09 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
I'm not a complete traitor, I just like a little action on the side. And using what I have access to. I certainly won't be switching anytime soon. I shot a wedding recently and had to use a D300s as my main body because I didn't have access to my own 24-70 but I did have access to a Nikon one. I also brought my 7D with a 70-200 but that's not particularly useful in the church for shooting the ceremony. I've used the D300s enough that I'm comfortable with it and know how to get around. The experience confirmed for me that I will never switch to Nikon. Familiar or not I vastly prefer the Canon layout ergonomics. Thumb wheel for the win! There were some other issues too, particularly I felt I was waiting for the camera in situations where my 7D wouldn't break a sweat. And that would be using the same CF cards. Nothing rigorously scientific of course, just some real world experience. That said, my 24-70 USM motor died and the Nikon one worked fine. ;)

But that won't stop me from playing with some pretty neat glass; there's a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5s in the bag I have had a chance to play with a little bit and it looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun. One more check mark in the list of Canon benefits, there's almost always an adapter so you can attach just about any lens you like.

Have to agree!  When it comes to ergonomics, the Nikon approach just does not make sense.  I used to think of Sigma as the red-headed stepchild of Japanese camera makers, but Nikon really holds that position.  Sigma are innovating and yet are doing more with less, where Nikon are just treading water, and piggybacking on the innovation of others in order to design and produce new product.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »