July 24, 2014, 11:52:51 AM

Author Topic: Dragonfly, Powered by Canon Lenses  (Read 1996 times)

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfly, Powered by Canon Lenses
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 05:52:26 AM »
A financial question. Did Canon USA, their distributor or dealer give you guys a discount on the purchase? You guys did buy 15 400s and are looking to almost double it?  ;D

And many thanks for the academic paper and epsilloneri's highlights. It is awesome to know that my lens wont get outresolved any time soon.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 05:52:26 AM »

capcoast

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 06:01:05 AM »
I won't pretend to understand all of what you guys do, Pieter, but the paper you linked to certainly provides a good layman's overview. Also good to see you have my kind of sense of humour - footnote 13 on page 9 gave me a long chuckle  ;)

Pieter

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 07:50:12 AM »
Actually, surveying for nearby supernova remnants in H-alpha might be a pretty interesting project scientifically in itself for this Dragonfly.

Yes - the problem is that we'd have to get different detectors, with much lower read noise. With narrow band filters the read noise is no longer smaller than the noise from the sky background, and the setup is no longer competitive. We are considering other projects to augment what we're doing now - particularly when the moon is up and our main science is on hold. We're also hoping to build a bigger array at some point in the future - with 50 lenses we'd effectively have a 400 mm f/0.4 lens, with a 1m aperture.

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »
Actually, surveying for nearby supernova remnants in H-alpha might be a pretty interesting project scientifically in itself for this Dragonfly.

Yes - the problem is that we'd have to get different detectors, with much lower read noise. With narrow band filters the read noise is no longer smaller than the noise from the sky background, and the setup is no longer competitive.

Any chance you guys have some forward knowledge of larger ultra-low-noise sensors coming out? Sony's newer ICX line are pretty nice, with very low dark current, and pretty low read noise (~5e-?). But the sensors are tiny. Really tiny, as in 1/3" or maybe 1/2", which is about half the size of a KAF-8300 and about 1/5th the size of a full-frame/KAF-11002 sized sensor. Would be really nice to know that Sony has some larger sensors based on their new low-noise technology coming out... ;)

We are considering other projects to augment what we're doing now - particularly when the moon is up and our main science is on hold. We're also hoping to build a bigger array at some point in the future - with 50 lenses we'd effectively have a 400 mm f/0.4 lens, with a 1m aperture.

f/0.4 @ 1m...now that would really start to surpass, just in specs, some of the really large earth-based telescopes for sensitivity.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »