October 30, 2014, 11:12:58 AM

Author Topic: Patent: Another Multi Layer Related Sensor Patent from Canon  (Read 4150 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Below is another patent for a multi-layer related sensor patent from Canon has come to light. This is the third one that has appeared in the last month or so.

Keith over at Northlight breaks it down in a way that’s easy to understand. “The issue addressed, is light of the ‘wrong’ colour being reflected from one layer into another, which reduces the ability of different layers to respond to photons of only a particular range of colours. This has the potential to greatly improve the colour accuracy and fidelity of such stacked sensor designs.

Patent Publication No. 2014-130890 (Google Translated)

• Publication date 2014.7.10
  • Filing date 2012.12.28
  • Multilayer sensor drawback of
  • G is light, the image quality is degraded and reflected by the surface of the layer between the G and B layer, re-enters the B layer
  • Canon patents
  • The provision of the dielectric film and the insulating film as an anti-reflection film
  • First insulating layer, B layer, a dielectric film, insulating film, dielectric film, G layer, a dielectric film, insulating film, insulating film, dielectric film, the R layer
  • By increasing the thickness of the dielectric film, to suppress the multiple reflection
  • The dielectric film is between the G layer and B layer, the reflectance with respect to G is lower than B

Source: [EG] via [NL]

cr

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:03:17 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

keithcooper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Northlight Images
Re: Patent: Another Multi Layer Related Sensor Patent from Canon
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »
I have to admit that I'm getting hopeful that we may actually see something like this in a Canon camera ;-)

If they can get it right (OK, big IF), it has the potential to make quite an impact.

I also recall the flurry of patents before the 7D came out ;-)

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:26:55 AM »

Did any of them make it into the 7D?

keithcooper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Northlight Images
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:27:46 AM »

The multilayer sensor for metering was one I recall

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »

The multilayer sensor for metering was one I recall

It's interesting to speculate about what would happen to the rest of the SLR line if the 7D replacement's sensor were a substantial step up in performance per unit area.

KacperP

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
Antireflection coatings between layers. Sounds nice.  ;D
I was kinda hoping for optical resonance layers technology.  :-X

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 12:46:51 PM »
It sounds like Canon is identifying and solving a number of issues with layered sensors. Given that, and given that their patent filings are still being published, I am not sure we'll see a layered sensor with the 7D II. The issues would need to be worked out first. It's possible all of these were filed a 18-24 months ago, and the technology is ready, but there could also be ongoing work.

I'm still waiting for a Canon patent that shows they figured out how to reduce noise and increase dynamic range in a layered sensor. I think that would make...well...everyone's day. :D

It's intriguing that Canon is working on a layered sensor, though. At the very least, it gives some hope for the cameras that come after the 7D II.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 12:46:51 PM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 01:42:37 PM »
It sounds like Canon is identifying and solving a number of issues with layered sensors. Given that, and given that their patent filings are still being published, I am not sure we'll see a layered sensor with the 7D II. The issues would need to be worked out first. It's possible all of these were filed a 18-24 months ago, and the technology is ready, but there could also be ongoing work.

I'm still waiting for a Canon patent that shows they figured out how to reduce noise and increase dynamic range in a layered sensor. I think that would make...well...everyone's day. :D

It's intriguing that Canon is working on a layered sensor, though. At the very least, it gives some hope for the cameras that come after the 7D II.
The 7D2 is obviously a mirrorless APS-H multilayer sensor camera that is tightly integrated with the Microsoft Surface tablets... :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »

The 7D2 is obviously a mirrorless APS-H multilayer sensor camera that is tightly integrated with the Microsoft Surface tablets... :)

That would be nice...especially if it has 120 beautiful megapixels. :D

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »
I have to admit that I'm getting hopeful that we may actually see something like this in a Canon camera ;-)

If they can get it right (OK, big IF), it has the potential to make quite an impact.

Hard to say. There are so many issues with multi-layer sensors. Maybe they have done a lot more in secret and they are ready, but, OTOH, it could just be a very slow work in progress and they may just be protecting things for 10-15 years out (or much longer if some aspects prove too hard to overcome), for all we know.

Anyway I guess we will known by next spring at the latest and maybe this fall, if lucky. And then it will be interesting to see how it performs on the chance it actually is ready.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
Maybe 7D2 gets the new dual ISO instant read per pixel (ALL pixels) thing? And 5D4 that plus multi-layer sensor in late 2015?
Or maybe 7D2 gets enhanced dual pixel AF and 5D5 gets dual ISO read per pixel (NOT the ML stuff that has issues, true, dual read of each and every photosite) in late 2018  ;D.

roxics

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »
Notice that the patent was filed in December of 2012. So they've had over a year and a half to work on it, plus whatever time they spent before filing. So it's possible it will be included in a 7D2 this fall.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
Maybe 7D2 gets the new dual ISO instant read per pixel (ALL pixels) thing? And 5D4 that plus multi-layer sensor in late 2015?
Or maybe 7D2 gets enhanced dual pixel AF and 5D5 gets dual ISO read per pixel (NOT the ML stuff that has issues, true, dual read of each and every photosite) in late 2018  ;D.

Why dual ISO, instead of just reduced read noise? All dual ISO does is work around a read noise problem. I know Canon already has several read noise and dark current noise reducing patents, some seem quite effective. Dual ISO is a workaround that ML discovered and implemented, because current Canon cameras have high read noise.

If Canon would just reduce their read noise, then we wouldn't need dual ISO...the problem with noise and DR would be solved directly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
Notice that the patent was filed in December of 2012. So they've had over a year and a half to work on it, plus whatever time they spent before filing. So it's possible it will be included in a 7D2 this fall.

I'd expect Canon to announce a prototype, and show off the benefits of their technology, as they have in the past, before actually using it in a product. There certainly isn't any guarantee that would happen, but it doesn't feel like the technology is ready yet. I expect more patents on the technology, and a prototype test, before we actually see a competitive layered sensor in a DSLR.

keithcooper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Northlight Images
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
I'd expect Canon to announce a prototype, and show off the benefits of their technology, as they have in the past, before actually using it in a product. There certainly isn't any guarantee that would happen, but it doesn't feel like the technology is ready yet. I expect more patents on the technology, and a prototype test, before we actually see a competitive layered sensor in a DSLR.

Is this something you would want to actually introduce, and not trail?

I can think of few better ways Canon could produce its own 'Osbourne Effect' than to show something so different whilst still churning out a range of cameras with 'existing' technology.

Much like Craig, I've had quite a few 'rumours' sent about upcoming 'new' sensor technology, but nothing overly convincing, and nothing from anyone who's genuine (i.e not hiding behind anonymity) understanding of sensor technologies I'd rate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »