I use the 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. I am waiting for the next version of the 100-400L to go longer. Personally if I needed longer now I would consider the 70-300L. I dont like extenter and their impact on image quality.What about an EF 70-200 f/2.8L non-IS? You can find them for under $1000 used.
Sounds good for the aperture.
Thinking about that. How well can I use this lens for non-sports events - out of hand with f2.8? (parties, journalism)
I believe it is 1.3 kg
I don't have experience with that.....
You are correct this lens seem heavy. I got only recently and I am getting used to its weight. I would not make it my walk around lens but it is perfect for parties especially if they are inside the house. Any invent where I dont need to walk too much, this lens will be my pick, assuming this is the focal lenght I need.
I know it's not "amateur" but I recently shot 6 soccer games with 5 different lenses, and the best (naturally) was the 300 F2.8/L II IS.
I also tried (all on a 1DmkIV):
- 300 F2.8/L II IS: Epic. On the 1.3x crop body, I got great body shots full-frame. DOF is amazing.
- 70-200 F4/L IS: OK... but good for wider angle shots, but not enough zoom when action is far away.
- 70-200 F2.8/L II IS: Better, the DOF is nice. Agreed, IS not necessary (1/1000).
- 400 F5.6/L: Major hit-or-miss action. Great when action is far, very tough when it isn't. Love the weight and IQ.
- 100-400 F4.5-5.6/L IS: Sigh... yes, it is the right zoom range. But I hate the push-pull so much... especially in the heat of the moment. If you like push-pull, it is the best for soccer.
I didn't try 70-200 F2.8/L II IS with a 1.4x extender... but that would be my next attempt (since I cannot stand the 100-400 push-pull action). 2nd body with a 300 or 400 prime makes for ideal setup.