November 21, 2014, 07:23:20 AM

Author Topic: 16-35 F/4L IS -- Canon registration, ACR profiles, etc.  (Read 3056 times)

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
16-35 F/4L IS -- Canon registration, ACR profiles, etc.
« on: July 14, 2014, 12:31:58 PM »
All,

I just got the new 16-35 F/4L IS, and I had two questions:

• When I tried to register it with Canon, there was no option for this lens (or the new EF-S 10-18 IS lens either) under UWA zooms.  I checked to see if it was misfiled, but I can't find it.  I'll assume Canon just hasn't updated their website yet.  From past lens release experience, how long does this usually take?
  • Is there any estimate on the lead time for an ACR update with lens correction profiles included for this lens? I notice there was an update in June but this lens was not included.

Thanks!

- A

canon rumors FORUM

16-35 F/4L IS -- Canon registration, ACR profiles, etc.
« on: July 14, 2014, 12:31:58 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: 16-35 F/4L IS -- Canon registration, ACR profiles, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »
All,

I just got the new 16-35 F/4L IS, and I had two questions:

• When I tried to register it with Canon, there was no option for this lens (or the new EF-S 10-18 IS lens either) under UWA zooms.  I checked to see if it was misfiled, but I can't find it.  I'll assume Canon just hasn't updated their website yet.  From past lens release experience, how long does this usually take?
  • Is there any estimate on the lead time for an ACR update with lens correction profiles included for this lens? I notice there was an update in June but this lens was not included.

Thanks!

- A
I emailed Canon Professional Services (CPS-USA) and they replied that they had notified the responsible party to update the registration and CPS site, but had no ETA.  DxO has listed 8/14 for their correction module - if Adobe keeps their schedule, their next update will also be in August, with a release candidate coming sooner.  We won't know if the profile will be in the release until the RC appears.  I would expect ptlens to have the first profile, DxO next, then Adobe, which is usually the order they seem to release correction profiles.

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »

I emailed Canon Professional Services (CPS-USA) and they replied that they had notified the responsible party to update the registration and CPS site, but had no ETA.  DxO has listed 8/14 for their correction module - if Adobe keeps their schedule, their next update will also be in August, with a release candidate coming sooner.  We won't know if the profile will be in the release until the RC appears.  I would expect ptlens to have the first profile, DxO next, then Adobe, which is usually the order they seem to release correction profiles.

Super helpful, thanks. 

Once in a blue moon with standard FLs, if I shoot near the wide open end and I don't crop, I actually prefer the vignetting sometimes and choose to keep it in the shot rather than take the default correction.  That's a simple call to make in ACR (and in the other processing suites, I'd imagine).

But with wide angles, I'd imagine distortion is the key thing to control, and that's a fairly difficult animal to manage by eye yourself.  What do you do?  Do you trust the profiles?  Do you tweak things yourself?  Do you use something specialized like the standalone DXO perspective tool?

Just curious -- I haven't shot UWA in a few years and was curious what the best practices are.

- A

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »

Super helpful, thanks. 

Once in a blue moon with standard FLs, if I shoot near the wide open end and I don't crop, I actually prefer the vignetting sometimes and choose to keep it in the shot rather than take the default correction.  That's a simple call to make in ACR (and in the other processing suites, I'd imagine).

But with wide angles, I'd imagine distortion is the key thing to control, and that's a fairly difficult animal to manage by eye yourself.  What do you do?  Do you trust the profiles?  Do you tweak things yourself?  Do you use something specialized like the standalone DXO perspective tool?

Just curious -- I haven't shot UWA in a few years and was curious what the best practices are.

- A
Happy to help and just checked again, but still not there for registration...

I also turn off the vignetting correction for some shots as I feel it gives the shot a bit more focus and sometimes it almost looks wrong without it.

As for distortion, that's probably the key thing I use them for, at least with wide-to-ultrawide FLs.  I find manual correction to be really tedious and find the profiles to work very well.  I rarely adjust them, except in some really critical architecture shots where I want bricks or things to be absolutely perfect.  Otherwise, I trust them.  The other thing that the profiles excel at are sharpness - they make "auto" sharpening pretty much perfect sharpening very little in the center and more in the edges where the lens is typically softer.  I also find DxO's CA correction better than Adobe's.  Neither do much about LoCA, but DxO fixes it a little.

The ViewPoint tool from DxO is perplexing for me and most other DxO Optics Pro users.   When it first came out, DxO did a really poor job of explaining what it was and how it differed from Optics Pro.  Since then, they are saying that it's for LR & PS users and doesn't really do anything more than Optics Pro...  I like the UI for corrections better in ViewPoint, and hope they will incorporate that into Optics Pro eventually.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
Update - the 16-35 f/4 IS can now be registered on Canon USA's site.  CPS still doesn't have it, though.

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
Update - the 16-35 f/4 IS can now be registered on Canon USA's site.  CPS still doesn't have it, though.

Thanks.  On it.

- A

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »

I'm striking out on my end.  I can't link you the URL as it will be for my account (you have to login to open up product registration).  But here's a screen shot.  No new lenses yet.

Can you link where you found it?

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
Go here and sign in:
Canon USA Registration

and you should see this:

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »

That did it, thanks.  I was drilling down under professional imaging products instead of EOS systems.

Done.  I am so fired up to have 15% off full list price accessories in the Canon store.   :P

- A

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »

That did it, thanks.  I was drilling down under professional imaging products instead of EOS systems.

Done.  I am so fired up to have 15% off full list price accessories in the Canon store.   :P

- A
I'm glad it worked for you, and yes, the 15% discount is awesome!  I've used it exactly 0 times!!! 

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »

Strange that it takes so much time.
I registered mine some time ago.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:53:11 PM by candyman »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 02:55:37 PM »

Which country is that?  The USA site is a little different.

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »

Which country is that?  The USA site is a little different.
This is CPS Europe accessed via The Netherlands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 01:00:57 AM »

Super helpful, thanks. 

- A

This lens has very little distortion above 19mm or so, so there is almost nothing to do 19-35mm or so. 16-18mm there is some, and a fair amount at 16mm, but for natural world scenes sometimes it doesn't matter so much so I just leave it (in some cases, especially with buildings in the scene and such corrections may be more desired).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 01:00:57 AM »