October 30, 2014, 01:48:23 PM

Author Topic: 16-35 F/4L IS -- Canon registration, ACR profiles, etc.  (Read 2939 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: 16-35 F/4L IS -- Canon registration, ACR profiles, etc.
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
I'm fiddling with it now.  Is microcontrast just DXO's term for the clarity slider from ACR?  Seems very similar.  It's a 'more detail at the cost of an HDR look' sort of tradeoff to me.

- A
Yes, that's a good way to put it.  I generally go light with that one, maybe +5 to +10 if needed.  Also, if you expose to the right (or have shots with blown out highlights) the "Highlight Recovery - Strong" in the Exposure dropdown is pretty amazing.

The functionality is impressive but the controls/layout are a mouse fest.  Not overly fond of that.  And it really crawls on my old MacBook Pro for most tasks.  Only the noise reduction previews take this long on ACR.

I've collared a few keeper RAW files from older shoots that capture the standard things I need to wrestle with in ACR.  We'll see how this does, thanks.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
It's definitely an adjustment from ACR, which is a far more elegant interface for sure.  On an older computer, I could see it having a hard time.  I rebuilt my homemade PC last year and it's essentially top of the (standard consumer) line in terms of processing and DxO is still a bit slow with some things.  It's good to be able to try the free preview so you're only out your time, not money, at least.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »