October 25, 2014, 01:47:38 PM

Author Topic: anyone else notice that a new rebel has yet to be announced?  (Read 8533 times)

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: anyone else notice that a new rebel has yet to be announced?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
Rebel T5 doesn't count? Why?
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »

3kramd5

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
What can Canon put into a T6i to make it interesting?

At the moment I can't think of anything to answer either of those questions.  Anyone?

Plenty. They can put the 1Dx AF unit in. They can bring back CF. They can make an APS-C version of their 120MP APC-H sensor. Etc.

There is quite a lot they CAN put in it. The better question is what WILL they put in it, and history suggests that if there are any improvements beyond a higher model number, they'll be marginal. DPAF seems likely.

1dx AF?....that will never be in a rebel

CF, doubtful as  the market trend is SD for the low end

120MB sensor???? are you smoking something????

The rebel is never going to have anything crazy like that.  and a dev announcement????  I really doubt we'll see that as there is little to no dev going into it ---it's a rehash of the old which is what happens on a product that gets refreshed yearly.  With new FF bodies on the horizon and the 7d's replacement, they have plenty to talk about.  Rebel releases will only get hype in a year that offers no other significant model updates.

Think you missed the point man, he said they COULD put anything in from the awesome tech they already have, including the 120mp (not mb like you wrote) aps-h sensor, which is real btw. But they don't put that in becasue obvious reasons.

Exactly. The open ended question in the OP was "What can Canon put into a T6i to make it interesting?" They can put any tech they're capable of producing into the T6i. They won't, but they can.
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »

At the moment I can't think of anything to answer either of those questions.  Anyone?

Plenty. They can put the 1Dx AF unit in. They can bring back CF. They can make an APS-C version of their 120MP APC-H sensor. Etc.

There is quite a lot they CAN put in it. The better question is what WILL they put in it, and history suggests that if there are any improvements beyond a higher model number, they'll be marginal. DPAF seems likely.

1dx AF?....that will never be in a rebel

CF, doubtful as  the market trend is SD for the low end

120MB sensor???? are you smoking something????

The rebel is never going to have anything crazy like that.  and a dev announcement????  I really doubt we'll see that as there is little to no dev going into it ---it's a rehash of the old which is what happens on a product that gets refreshed yearly.  With new FF bodies on the horizon and the 7d's replacement, they have plenty to talk about.  Rebel releases will only get hype in a year that offers no other significant model updates.

Think you missed the point man, he said they COULD put anything in from the awesome tech they already have, including the 120mp (not mb like you wrote) aps-h sensor, which is real btw. But they don't put that in becasue obvious reasons.

I was just injecting that this is a really really really far off COULD to the point that it's just not feasible!  They could put english muffins and a colony of ants in there too.  1dx AF system in a rebel just ain't happening.  120MP's is just as unlikely.  More reasonable  GPS, Wi-fi, more x-points, touchscreen, better phone to camera interface, these are things that are more likely to happen.

and I know there is that prototype 120Mp sensor, but unless your a millionaire that won't be anywhere near consumer tech. 

Now reasonable is 1 MP per upgrade is proabably a bit more reasonable.

Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

3kramd5

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »

Now reasonable is 1 MP per upgrade is proabably a bit more reasonable.

Sure, a 1MP upgrade is more reasonable/realistic, but it certainly isn't interesting :)
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 02:37:17 PM »

Good Point - I completely forgot about this camera.   Was expecting a Rebel T(x)i.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »
Two questions:

What can another brand put into theirs to make Canon envious?

Jim

Making it interesting to those who read this forum and making it something that consumers are going to want to buy are probably rather different things.  I have no clue about the latter.  To interest me it would have to be something like the Sony a6000 but with IBIS added, and that surely won't happen.  As for Canon being envious, they may be noticing the slight uptick in mirrorless sales in recent months, but otherwise they seem to be doing rather well as it is (even if some might think they don't deserve to).

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 02:56:24 PM »
Interesting... such a vague term. 

Back in my Canon xs days, I like the 60d over the t3i because of the auto focus points and the fps. 

That was interesting to me. 

What would Canon have to do to improve the t5i so someone in my similar position, a t3i or t3 owner, would be interested?  We know it can't be better than the 70d.  It can't be worse than the t5i.

How about this.  Wi-Fi plus video out to your cell phone with wireless triggering and pinch and zoom focus capabilities.  Zoom in using live view, control auto focus over your phone, take the shot and it auto shares to Facebook. 

While we are at it... built in rf control over the 450ex-rt (guessing this will come out).  Built in swivel bounce off the flash... just up and behind, but it would be better than head on. 

You stay with sd... but also have a usb input to flash drive to copy.

Also have digital zoom that saves the original image and the in camera crop.  Obviously a live mode function. 

Auto saves to the stupid Canon cloud.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:03:29 PM by jdramirez »
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 02:56:24 PM »

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
I think canon have done the very sensible thing of updating their kit lens line up instead of the cameras. The new STM lenses are much nicer to use than the old kit lenses. Comparing the new kit lens to the old will make people want the newer lens, just getting rid of that old horrible focussing motor makes a massive difference. Also bearing in mind that most rebel user won't stray far from the kit 18-55 or possibly to the 55-250 the new lenses are going to be massively important for the appeal of the newer models despite the lack of updates.

What they should have done I think though it to have introduced a new 20-22 mpix sensor for the rebels to replace the ageing 18mpix as it would make the average consumer see the new sensor as an update. I'm pretty sure the 70D sensor will find its way into the 750D as it has always done in the past but it strikes me as being a little late but at least they have sensibly upgraded the 1200D to the 18mpix sensor instead of the now ancient 12mpix one. Nikon really beat them to it when it came to the entry level segment and I think Canon lost a lot of sales because of it.

As boring as these rebels are to us, these are what drives canon. I doubt there is any way Canon could survive on their single digit cameras, they need to bottom end to cover costs.

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
You'd think they'd put AFMA in it.  It counts as a good user feature but really it also helps Canon increase user satisfaction by letting owners fix any minor manufacturing boo boos themselves. 

Why wouldn't they do that?  Otherwise most people with slightly out of whack lenses or bodies just suffer with it and tell people their Canon just wasn't very sharp.  Maybe they buy a Pentax next time. 

Then others have to deal with the hassle of sending their body and one favorite lens off for adjustment at Canon which is no fun for either the owner or for Canon, and it is all avoidable if they'd just include AFMA.

If the ketchup companies are smart enough to add "shake well before serving" to their labels, so that the user is more likely to have a positive experience with their condiments, why would a camera maker leave out AFMA?
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 06:09:25 PM »

IMO, Canon hasn't actually updated the Rebel line since 2012.  The T5 doesn't count, because it's basically just a cost-reduced T5i, which in turn is just a T4i with a few firmware changes and a couple of tiny mechanical tweaks (most of which were probably just cost reductions).

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »
You'd think they'd put AFMA in it.  It counts as a good user feature but really it also helps Canon increase user satisfaction by letting owners fix any minor manufacturing boo boos themselves. 

Why wouldn't they do that?  Otherwise most people with slightly out of whack lenses or bodies just suffer with it and tell people their Canon just wasn't very sharp.  Maybe they buy a Pentax next time. 

Then others have to deal with the hassle of sending their body and one favorite lens off for adjustment at Canon which is no fun for either the owner or for Canon, and it is all avoidable if they'd just include AFMA.

If the ketchup companies are smart enough to add "shake well before serving" to their labels, so that the user is more likely to have a positive experience with their condiments, why would a camera maker leave out AFMA?

I think 80% of Canon rebel users primarily use the 18-55mm, a 75-300mm, a 55-250mm, and then the 50mm f/1.8.

So the max aperture range is 3.5 to 5.6 for the first three lenses... and the 50mm is really quite soft from f/1.8 to f/2.8ish... So you will tend to stop down the 50...

Would yall say that rebel owners who have a good f/1.4 (or a 100L which has a really shallow depth of field) lens is probably around 10%.  Maybe a 35L, the 100L, a 50L, etc. 

I'd think 90% of the rebel market don't have a need for it... and probably another 5% wouldn't use it.  I would want AFMA, but I suppose I'd be ok with afma being @ the X0D or higher.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »

If I were canon, the thought of allowing afma to the mass population of ma and pa photographers would be terrifying to me and my call centers.  Afma is a great tool for those who know how to use it, but any increase in my call center activity would reduce my profit margin on the rebel line.  Enthusiasts, sure offer this option to allow them to grow with their camera.  Most who can afford a single digit model probably have an idea of what they are doing.  Mainstream usually has no clue what they are doing, but they don't know it.  All they know is that if they screw it up, it would be canon's fault for making such crappy gear and social media would spread that word.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »

IMO, Canon hasn't actually updated the Rebel line since 2012.  The T5 doesn't count, because it's basically just a cost-reduced T5i, which in turn is just a T4i with a few firmware changes and a couple of tiny mechanical tweaks (most of which were probably just cost reductions).

IMO, for now, Rebel SL1 is the best choice :) and if I'd want something better I would aim for 70D.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »

If I were canon, the thought of allowing afma to the mass population of ma and pa photographers would be terrifying to me and my call centers.  Afma is a great tool for those who know how to use it, but any increase in my call center activity would reduce my profit margin on the rebel line.  Enthusiasts, sure offer this option to allow them to grow with their camera.  Most who can afford a single digit model probably have an idea of what they are doing.  Mainstream usually has no clue what they are doing, but they don't know it.  All they know is that if they screw it up, it would be canon's fault for making such crappy gear and social media would spread that word.

Just bury it deep in the custom functions menu so the newbies won't discover it accidentally.  Better yet, make it mindless.  Have the camera remember each lens it sees, and when it detects a new one, ask the user to set the lens to each end of its zoom range and point it at something close and far away.  Then have the camera calculate the AFMA values by computing the difference between the AF-sensor-computed OOF amount and the DPAF-computed OOF amount several times in rapid succession.

henrywang

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »

As I saw it, the T5 to me was just a repackaged T2i because of the lack of flip out screen  :-\
I was pretty shocked when they actually dared to release something like that...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:19:00 PM by henrywang »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »