September 02, 2014, 08:25:40 AM

Author Topic: A7r Arrived - Meeting New Buddies  (Read 2635 times)

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: A7r Arrived - Meeting New Buddies
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »

I definitely had to learn this the hard way even though it was something I fully suspected prior to ordering. Lol.

Anyhow, based on my very brief experiences so far, I'm finding that the only thing I really enjoy about this thing is the manual focus aids. Quite honestly, I wonder how much more I would like the xt1 if it were possible to mount EF lenses and maintain aperture control.

Funny thing is as soon as I returned my A7R, I installed Magic Lantern for the first time on my 5D III, including the manual focus aids.  I don't understand why Canon doesn't provide focus peaking, etc, in stock firmware  :o

Looking back, what I really enjoyed about my Sony experience was the FE 55mm f/1.8 lens.  Oh, that was a sweet lens; Wish Canon had a 50 mm at that price with comparable color, contrast, sharpness, bokeh, and AF accuracy.  Its compact size was fantastic, too, but I guess Canon's version cannot be as small due to the mirror box  :'(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »

I definitely had to learn this the hard way even though it was something I fully suspected prior to ordering. Lol.

Anyhow, based on my very brief experiences so far, I'm finding that the only thing I really enjoy about this thing is the manual focus aids. Quite honestly, I wonder how much more I would like the xt1 if it were possible to mount EF lenses and maintain aperture control.

Funny thing is as soon as I returned my A7R, I installed Magic Lantern for the first time on my 5D III, including the manual focus aids.  I don't understand why Canon doesn't provide focus peaking, etc, in stock firmware  :o

Looking back, what I really enjoyed about my Sony experience was the FE 55mm f/1.8 lens.  Oh, that was a sweet lens; Wish Canon had a 50 mm at that price with comparable color, contrast, sharpness, bokeh, and AF accuracy.  Its compact size was fantastic, too, but I guess Canon's version cannot be as small due to the mirror box  :'(

Absolutely agree with wondering why Canon hasn't implemented it. I had ML installed on my 5D3 and EOS M and loved it for what it was. However, the implementation of the focus aids through ML still aren't as slick or refined as my experience now with the A7r.

If Canon ever incorporates a hybrid VF, I would be 100% on board. I don't care for the sluggishness of shooting in Live View with the rear LCD. After owning and using several mirrorless bodies now, I am absolutely certain that I want the option of being able to use live view in a view finder and have it be as responsive as the mirrorless bodies I've experienced thus far.

So the 55/1.8 was that good eh? I told myself I would not be buying into the Sony as a system. But I almost feel like I'm not giving it a fair shake without trying at least one native lens. LOL
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:40:25 AM by JohnDizzo15 »

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
Received the Zeiss 55/1.8 about a week ago. Been running it through it's paces.

IQ is pretty darn good when it hits. AF is still slower than I would've hoped. Accuracy is good enough when it is fast enough to catch what I'm shooting. Still getting a decent amount of misses.

Re the size of the a7r + 55, I have found that it is not much of a size/weight advantage for me. Much like I thought prior to getting the combo, if you're going to go small/light, go all the way. The sony combo is somewhere in between. With the 55 mounted, the dimensions do not leave me thinking, "wow, this is so much easier to lug around than my 6D." I had an old nifty fifty around and I decided to do a side by side comparison of size. The Sony rig actually protrudes significantly further due to lens length. So going almost like for like with lenses, the A7r really doesn't provide a size advantage at all depending on what you're doing. It is lighter, but not to the point where I don't notice it. The only camera I have that accomplishes that is the x100s.

Also mounted some other lenses and found that performance was quite poor.
100L - exhibits some wacky behavior with regard to max aperture, AF is poo poo, overall poor user experience

Sigma 35 Art - AF is unuseable as expected, IQ is very good.

135L - Same experience as the Sigma and others

TSE 45 and 90 - Used both for slow shutter work over the weekend and got some odd flaring and artifacts. Will have to inspect the adapter and perhaps line the inside to reduce reflections. IQ is better than when they are mounted on my Canon bodies (as expected) minus the artifacts.

On another note, I am still finding that I have to shoot at much faster shutter speeds than I normally would with my other rigs in order to rid camera shake. I thought that maybe some of my initial shutter speed issues were due to having an adapter present which allowed for more slop/vibration. However, now mounting the FE 55/1.8, I am still finding that I have to shoot at 2:1 ratio for speed:focal length which is basically double what I'm normally capable of shooting at.

All in all, the keepers I'm getting are still great and I'm pretty sure it is good enough to stay in the bag......for now.

More to come.

Overall, I am still content with
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:19:13 PM by JohnDizzo15 »

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
Cropped shot of SD.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »
Received the Zeiss 55/1.8 about a week ago. Been running it through it's paces.

IQ is pretty darn good when it hits. AF is still slower than I would've hoped. Accuracy is good enough when it is fast enough to catch what I'm shooting. Still getting a decent amount of misses.

Re the size of the a7r + 55, I have found that it is not much of a size/weight advantage for me. Much like I thought prior to getting the combo, if you're going to go small/light, go all the way. The sony combo is somewhere in between. With the 55 mounted, the dimensions do not leave me thinking, "wow, this is so much easier to lug around than my 6D." I had an old nifty fifty around and I decided to do a side by side comparison of size. The Sony rig actually protrudes significantly further due to lens length. So going almost like for like with lenses, the A7r really doesn't provide a size advantage at all depending on what you're doing. It is lighter, but not to the point where I don't notice it. The only camera I have that accomplishes that is the x100s.

Also mounted some other lenses and found that performance was quite poor.
100L - exhibits some wacky behavior with regard to max aperture, AF is poo poo, overall poor user experience

Sigma 35 Art - AF is unuseable as expected, IQ is very good.

135L - Same experience as the Sigma and others

TSE 45 and 90 - Used both for slow shutter work over the weekend and got some odd flaring and artifacts. Will have to inspect the adapter and perhaps line the inside to reduce reflections. IQ is better than when they are mounted on my Canon bodies (as expected) minus the artifacts.

On another note, I am still finding that I have to shoot at much faster shutter speeds than I normally would with my other rigs in order to rid camera shake. I thought that maybe some of my initial shutter speed issues were due to having an adapter present which allowed for more slop/vibration. However, now mounting the FE 55/1.8, I am still finding that I have to shoot at 2:1 ratio for speed:focal length which is basically double what I'm normally capable of shooting at.

All in all, the keepers I'm getting are still great and I'm pretty sure it is good enough to stay in the bag......for now.

More to come.

Overall, I am still content with

I'll keep my Zeiss FE 55 and sell a7r next week. PP 36MP raw is not fun. I'll pick up the a7s when the price is right.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »
Surprisingly enough, it hasn't been as unbearable as I previously anticipated. I thought the files would be much larger.

darrellrhodesmiller

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
i have both a 5dmk3 and a sony a7r.. here are my thoughts on it..

if you bought the sony a7r and a metabones adapter expecting the same performance as a native lens you will be disappointed.. especially dealing with autofocus.. also.. if you expect to take amazing shots with the camera an hour or two into having it.. you're probably going to be disappointed too.. its a tool.. and it definitely has its pros and cons.. but give it a a few days.. and dont try to use it like a canon camera.. its NOT a canon camera.. take some time to learn how it works.. and the menu system. i bought it right when it came out and i'm still getting used to it.

my thoughts on the Sony a7r:
-its def a first gen product.. but a VERY VERY good 1st gen camera. with the sony 55mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.0 auto focus is fast, and photos are incredibly sharp.. is it as fast to focus as my 5dmk3? nope.. but fast enough for street portraits and day to day shooting, yes very much so. i even bring it into concerts.. works well.

-with the metabones adapter it takes 2-3 secs to focus with a canon lens. (most of my experiance is with the canon 16-35mm f2.8 L ) it hunts ALOT.. and you might have to hit the focus button/shutter button a few times for it to focus correctly.. but when it does lock on.. its good and sharp... but it does take a little finess and some patience. the metabones adapter and canon lenses wouldnt be suitable for much more than landscapes and very patient models if you plan to rely on the autofocus.

- focus peaking works very very well. honestly i have pretty much given up on the autofocus with the metabones adapter.. but metabones + focus peaking works very very well.. it takes some practice but once you get it... it works really well. i've been using it with the 85mm and the 135mm f2.0 and had very good results.

- i did a lot of testing right when i got it comparing it to the 5dmk3.. everyone has different tastes.. i'm a slow shooter.. i dont shoot any sports.. but the sony images were (and are) much sharper than the 5dmk3.. i think it has a lot to do with the lack of anti-alising filter.. but it is noticeable.

- battery life is TERRIBLE.. not just bad.. but TERRIBLE.. you get about 300 shots per battery.. so an all day trip takes 3 or 4 batteries for me.. luckily they are pretty cheap.. and charge in about 3 hours.

- luckily you can reprogram pretty much all the dials and buttons on the camera.. i wasnt happy with the default setup at all.

- i too thought i had bricked my camera with the firmware update, luckily the forums had much better instructions than what came from sony and eventually got it to work.

- lens selection is really limited.. canon lenses work with the adapter but its NOT the same as native sony lenses.. the 55mm f1.8 lens is amazing.. the 24-70m f4 is very nice.. but not as sharp as the 55mm prime.

- bracketing/HDR is definately rough around the edges with this camera.. it has some settings but they arent as nice as they should be. you cant set the bracketing and use the timer.. hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update.

as for the 5d mk3.. i still have it and i dont plan on selling it any time soon. i have a much better lens selection, and it definately does focus faster.

i seem to pick up the sony more.. and take it out more.. its fun to shoot.. its a little more work.. it takes more time.. you have to think abotu your shots a little more.. and be patient.. you also cant just hold down the button and get 1 good shot out of 20 all day long. but at least for me.. when i do get a good shot out of it.. it really does blow me away. 36mp, no AA filter.. gives you LOTS of pixels to play with in photoshop.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
i have both a 5dmk3 and a sony a7r.. here are my thoughts on it..

if you bought the sony a7r and a metabones adapter expecting the same performance as a native lens you will be disappointed.. especially dealing with autofocus.. also.. if you expect to take amazing shots with the camera an hour or two into having it.. you're probably going to be disappointed too.. its a tool.. and it definitely has its pros and cons.. but give it a a few days.. and dont try to use it like a canon camera.. its NOT a canon camera.. take some time to learn how it works.. and the menu system. i bought it right when it came out and i'm still getting used to it.

my thoughts on the Sony a7r:
-its def a first gen product.. but a VERY VERY good 1st gen camera. with the sony 55mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.0 auto focus is fast, and photos are incredibly sharp.. is it as fast to focus as my 5dmk3? nope.. but fast enough for street portraits and day to day shooting, yes very much so. i even bring it into concerts.. works well.

-with the metabones adapter it takes 2-3 secs to focus with a canon lens. (most of my experiance is with the canon 16-35mm f2.8 L ) it hunts ALOT.. and you might have to hit the focus button/shutter button a few times for it to focus correctly.. but when it does lock on.. its good and sharp... but it does take a little finess and some patience. the metabones adapter and canon lenses wouldnt be suitable for much more than landscapes and very patient models if you plan to rely on the autofocus.

- focus peaking works very very well. honestly i have pretty much given up on the autofocus with the metabones adapter.. but metabones + focus peaking works very very well.. it takes some practice but once you get it... it works really well. i've been using it with the 85mm and the 135mm f2.0 and had very good results.

- i did a lot of testing right when i got it comparing it to the 5dmk3.. everyone has different tastes.. i'm a slow shooter.. i dont shoot any sports.. but the sony images were (and are) much sharper than the 5dmk3.. i think it has a lot to do with the lack of anti-alising filter.. but it is noticeable.

- battery life is TERRIBLE.. not just bad.. but TERRIBLE.. you get about 300 shots per battery.. so an all day trip takes 3 or 4 batteries for me.. luckily they are pretty cheap.. and charge in about 3 hours.

- luckily you can reprogram pretty much all the dials and buttons on the camera.. i wasnt happy with the default setup at all.

- i too thought i had bricked my camera with the firmware update, luckily the forums had much better instructions than what came from sony and eventually got it to work.

- lens selection is really limited.. canon lenses work with the adapter but its NOT the same as native sony lenses.. the 55mm f1.8 lens is amazing.. the 24-70m f4 is very nice.. but not as sharp as the 55mm prime.

- bracketing/HDR is definately rough around the edges with this camera.. it has some settings but they arent as nice as they should be. you cant set the bracketing and use the timer.. hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update.

as for the 5d mk3.. i still have it and i dont plan on selling it any time soon. i have a much better lens selection, and it definately does focus faster.

i seem to pick up the sony more.. and take it out more.. its fun to shoot.. its a little more work.. it takes more time.. you have to think abotu your shots a little more.. and be patient.. you also cant just hold down the button and get 1 good shot out of 20 all day long. but at least for me.. when i do get a good shot out of it.. it really does blow me away. 36mp, no AA filter.. gives you LOTS of pixels to play with in photoshop.

Thanks.  I am renting a A7R this weekend and glad I did not buy it.  It is very rough around the edges, I am having no luck with AF and the meta bones IV adapter with 180 macro.

Hoping that Canon does something this Sept to dramatically increase DR so I don't have to buy a A7R.  I could live with it but would rather not.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
It is in fact very rough around the edges. But for the time being, I feel that I have gotten a good grasp on what it's limitations are and where the strengths lie. Because of this, I have decided to keep it in the kit as the last piece to round out my needs.

With a native lens (55mm FE for me), I have been able to get very good results. It gets way clunkier when I adapt my EF glass. However, the IQ is great when shooting at lower ISOs and the manual focus aids are great which have made all my TSE shooting much more fun. On those few factors alone, it is a valuable piece of kit to me.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
On another note, has anyone else noticed that the colors straight out of camera are not all that great (especially when moving up the ISO ladder)?

I am also finding that the color on a fair number of the files I get to be a little more difficult to manipulate to a point I am content with. Color in general, I have found is not the best with the Sony.

To make matters worse, the auto white balance is by far the weakest I have experienced with any camera I have owned or currently own. This only makes matters worse when trying to work with the color in the files afterward.

Was also thinking that this may be a symptom of me already being used to Canon and Fuji files in post. But something about these Sony files still makes me feel as though there is more labor in post to get them to look the way I want.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »