August 22, 2014, 02:11:03 AM

Author Topic: New Speedlite Coming? [CR2]  (Read 5689 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: New Speedlite Coming? [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »
Wow, no one stating the blindingly obvious feature that canon should put in all their flashes ----come on now, how hard is it to put a freaking battery meter in there?  It would be so awesome to be setting up my lighting and turn the units on and know....ohhh it's got 3/4 power left, no need to change batteries, or wow, 1/4 left, better put some new ones in.  The 600 really really should have that!!!  so I won't hold my breath on a 400 series flash having such a simple feature --------- it really boggles my mind why it's not there.  Maybe I'm the only one that's bugged my this????

I'm not bugged by it. I have a very efficient battery management regime and I just don't have battery issues. I always have recharged Eneloops in the flash whenever it leaves home and I have a full second set also freshly topped up in the bag. I very rarely have to change batteries in the field, very rarely.

Maybe others fire their flashes much more than me but I don't even use battery packs, though if I did run into charge issues regularly that is what I'd want more than a level indicator.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
Yep, battery charge indicator would be useful.

I suspect if Canon were truthful, they'd tell you that recycle time is the de facto battery indicator.

An overheat warning might also be helpful to avoid damaging the flash.

Wow, no one stating the blindingly obvious feature that canon should put in all their flashes ----come on now, how hard is it to put a freaking battery meter in there?  It would be so awesome to be setting up my lighting and turn the units on and know....ohhh it's got 3/4 power left, no need to change batteries, or wow, 1/4 left, better put some new ones in.  The 600 really really should have that!!!  so I won't hold my breath on a 400 series flash having such a simple feature --------- it really boggles my mind why it's not there.  Maybe I'm the only one that's bugged my this????
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 10:07:18 AM »
Yep, battery charge indicator would be useful. I suspect if Canon were truthful, they'd tell you that recycle time is the de facto battery indicator.

I have absolutely no clue why there is no battery meter - probably a technical problem because the power flux is so dynamic it's hard to get a good reading on the charge (and because all batteries have different discharge curves)?

Btw Canon *does* say the recycle time is the battery meter, as far as I remember it's there in the manual in the cfn description to show the slave "charge ready" status either by the red blinky or just the small light on the back.

An overheat warning might also be helpful to avoid damaging the flash.

Um, the flash get disabled if it's running too hot, doesn't it?

Joe M

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 10:13:16 AM »
Wouldn't it be something if this new flash was being rolled out as one that could be controlled by a built-in radio wireless system in the new 7D? Yes, I know I'm reaching and just kidding.  At least, I hope that's not what it'll be cause I'd be too jealous.   
I think the regulatory environment makes a built-in radio transmitter for the 7d unlikely. They would need different models for countries that don't allow radio transmitters.
Very true.  It was just a whimsical thought though as personally I can't see much reason to update the 400 series other than to give it RT and then wouldn't the price point be too close to the 600?  Like all rumours, guess we'll just have to wait till it hits the shelves. 

Joe M

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »

Yes please, good point Chuck!  I'll take that too.  To take the point further though, I don't understand why Canon doesn't give us a dedicated battery for the flash.  It could then be chipped like the body batteries and you'd always know how much power is left and what shape the battery is in.  I can understand the old "it's versatile cause you can buy AA batteries anywhere" but that is so 1960s thinking.  Everything has dedicated batteries so why not our flashes?  And if one big battery could be made "Eneloop style", it'd probably pump out more power than a quad of AAs.
Enough with fumbling with a pile of AA batteries I say.   

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »
A fat Li-on battery like the Ving 850 would make sense.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »

Um, from a Canon flash user guide:

"Do not fire the modeling flash more than 10 consecutive times. If you fire the modeling flash 10 consecutive times, allow the Speedlite to rest for at least 10 min. to avoid overheating and damaging the flash head." Emphasis mine.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »

Um, from a Canon flash user guide:

"Do not fire the modeling flash more than 10 consecutive times. If you fire the modeling flash 10 consecutive times, allow the Speedlite to rest for at least 10 min. to avoid overheating and damaging the flash head." Emphasis mine.

The 600 can do around 40 full power pops with a pack in around 2 mins before the screen glows red, the warning sign to slow down, then it locks.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=600ex%20rt%20overheating&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDMQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQOKCZ3FZBwo&ei=8-rHU4KrHca58gGtyoCwBg&usg=AFQjCNHkjXqtHEfuCIfi0WZtDfQsn4lOkA&bvm=bv.71198958,d.b2U
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 01:20:39 PM »
I live in the desert and it gets hot outside (surprise). I was shooting with fill recently in the sun and the flash shut down from overheating due in large part (IMO) to the elevated ambient temp.
Fortunately I do not have to do this much.

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
Wouldn't it be something if this new flash was being rolled out as one that could be controlled by a built-in radio wireless system in the new 7D? Yes, I know I'm reaching and just kidding.  At least, I hope that's not what it'll be cause I'd be too jealous.   
I think the regulatory environment makes a built-in radio transmitter for the 7d unlikely. They would need different models for countries that don't allow radio transmitters.

They already do for the 6D so why not?

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »

They already do for the 6D so why not?

Good point. Maybe there is hope for a 7D RT then.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Gary W.

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »
A fat Li-on battery like the Ving 850 would make sense.

Hey all,

That is one thing I like about the Godox flashes. (V850/V860)  For the price, the battery life, and full amount of features (except the old style lock wheel :-(  ), I think this should be the next build model for flashes. Options? Manual vs TTL and built in radio or not. I think Canon could sell a decent amount of manual only flashes with HSS and rear curtain sync.

Gary W.
7D (gripped), 70D, XSi, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, 18-55 kit lens, Canon 18-135 IS STM kit lens, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, 430EX (2), 300EZ, PW  Mini TT1, AC3, Flex TT5 (3)

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 04:29:40 PM »
Let me rephrase that- how much cheaper will Canon be willing to price the 4X0RT anyway? (considering Canon's general inclination towards R&D roi and profit)

You don't want to hear my answer, I'm Mr. "Canon is too greedy" around here. Though I have to admit the 600rt is a very good piece of equipment, they have to get back their r&d investment and Yongnuo just showed us how not to do it with the terrible st-e3 transmitter clone.

It is a rhetorical question anyway.
I think Canon will NOT price the 4X0RT low enough that too many will be inclined to settle for that instead of another 600 (especially if refurbished).

Which is why I think it won't be a 4X0RT.  Canon will keep the 600exRT as the entry fee if you want to play the integrated RT eTTL game.

I'm going to put my money on a thoroughly uninteresting new flash.  Color me a skeptic.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 04:29:40 PM »

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 04:32:24 PM »
Yep, battery charge indicator would be useful. I suspect if Canon were truthful, they'd tell you that recycle time is the de facto battery indicator.

I have absolutely no clue why there is no battery meter - probably a technical problem because the power flux is so dynamic it's hard to get a good reading on the charge (and because all batteries have different discharge curves)?

A simply voltmeter test wouldn't work with anything other than alkaline.   Eneloops would start showing half full and stay there right up until it died.  Of course, Canon already "fixed" this problem by stating that you should only use alkaline in their flashes.  So they could just go that route.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »

I dunno, if I keep pressing the modelling flash it simply stops working until the flash has cooled down. Am I using a special version of the 600rt or have I been just lucky so far. I never read manuals :-p and only touch them to come up with occasional smug comments :->

Which is why I think it won't be a 4X0RT.  Canon will keep the 600exRT as the entry fee if you want to play the integrated RT eTTL game. I'm going to put my money on a thoroughly uninteresting new flash.  Color me a skeptic.

Or it's going to be the 600rt replacement 666ex-rt with the new ettl-3 protocol:
* remote zoom
* second curtain remote
* battery indicator
* fec with wheel in m flash mode w/o button press (fw bug)
* one button group masks (feature on the yn st-e3 clone)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »