October 20, 2014, 04:14:09 AM

Author Topic: New Speedlite Coming? [CR2]  (Read 6400 times)

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: New Speedlite Coming? [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »
Wow, no one stating the blindingly obvious feature that canon should put in all their flashes ----come on now, how hard is it to put a freaking battery meter in there?  It would be so awesome to be setting up my lighting and turn the units on and know....ohhh it's got 3/4 power left, no need to change batteries, or wow, 1/4 left, better put some new ones in.  The 600 really really should have that!!!  so I won't hold my breath on a 400 series flash having such a simple feature --------- it really boggles my mind why it's not there.  Maybe I'm the only one that's bugged my this????
I agree entirely. Current technology allows measuring battery with great precision, and there is no hindrance to put it in a flash that costs hundreds of dollars.

A particular type of battery would trigger the low battery warning when remaining 10 shots (maximum power), and other type of battery would trigger the alert when 30 shots left. But at least we would have a reliable estimate to repeatedly use the same batteries.

A thermometer would also be good, since it does not arbitrarily turn off the flash (Nikon SB900).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:53:27 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 06:23:03 PM »
"A brief mention that we could see a new Speedlite announced with the EOS 7D replacement in September"

This is a CR2?  It's probably a white 430 for the fashion concious :P

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 11:47:05 PM »
Wow, no one stating the blindingly obvious feature that canon should put in all their flashes ----come on now, how hard is it to put a freaking battery meter in there?  It would be so awesome to be setting up my lighting and turn the units on and know....ohhh it's got 3/4 power left, no need to change batteries, or wow, 1/4 left, better put some new ones in.  The 600 really really should have that!!!  so I won't hold my breath on a 400 series flash having such a simple feature --------- it really boggles my mind why it's not there.  Maybe I'm the only one that's bugged my this????

Yes please, good point Chuck!  I'll take that too.  To take the point further though, I don't understand why Canon doesn't give us a dedicated battery for the flash.  It could then be chipped like the body batteries and you'd always know how much power is left and what shape the battery is in.  I can understand the old "it's versatile cause you can buy AA batteries anywhere" but that is so 1960s thinking.  Everything has dedicated batteries so why not our flashes?  And if one big battery could be made "Eneloop style", it'd probably pump out more power than a quad of AAs.
Enough with fumbling with a pile of AA batteries I say.   

lets not forget that if you have a grip, it comes with the AA adaptor so you can run your camera on that...ya gotta figure if one 5d3 battery can power the body for a few thousand shots, one of those in a speedlight could go for a week!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
lets not forget that if you have a grip, it comes with the AA adaptor so you can run your camera on that...ya gotta figure if one 5d3 battery can power the body for a few thousand shots, one of those in a speedlight could go for a week!

A week of very long recycle times. You can forget an LP-E6 battery pack that works optimally in a bunch of cameras and flashes.  Li-ion isn't optimal for fast-draw applications like refilling a capicitor.  Canon would ideally make an NiMH battery for that, and the form factor would need to be different to avoid confusion.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sabaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
Could it be the MT-24EX RT mkii with wi-fi control between body and head?

Then you can throw in battery meter, diffused LED lighting and continuous lighting?
Canon 500D | 100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL IS f/4.0 | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »
I agree with Sabaki. It might be a RT-equipped Macro.
Canon has not released a mid-level RT flash for this long and reduced the price of the 600s considerably, and people seem to be buying 600s happily enough. I don't see why they would want to release a 4X0-RT now and potentially decrease their profit margins.
Or else, it might be a small and inexpensive rt commander with fill flash capability only (all the functions of ST-E3-RT with flash capability of 270ex and AF assist- priced around $ 300 (wishful thinking...)
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 09:58:10 PM »
I agree with Sabaki. It might be a RT-equipped Macro.
Canon has not released a mid-level RT flash for this long and reduced the price of the 600s considerably, and people seem to be buying 600s happily enough. I don't see why they would want to release a 4X0-RT now and potentially decrease their profit margins.
Or else, it might be a small and inexpensive rt commander with fill flash capability only (all the functions of ST-E3-RT with flash capability of 270ex and AF assist- priced around $ 300 (wishful thinking...)

Why not?  Did the non-RT 430 not exist alongside the non-RT 580?  One had more power and sold for more.  It didn't hurt the 580.

Over time most devices acquire more features, while often holding steady on price and sometimes actually coming down in price, adjusted for inflation.   Look at early flat screen TV's.  Look at early "digital" calculators.  Very expensive with few features compared to modern cheaper better ones.  Today the cheapest model of Ford/Chevy/etc have features that were only available, if available at all, on their higher end vehicles years ago. 
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 09:58:10 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47:48 PM »
Why not?  Did the non-RT 430 not exist alongside the non-RT 580?  One had more power and sold for more.  It didn't hurt the 580.

It's about what you can sell. Till the 600, Canon historically had high and mid level flashes co-existing, as did Nikon. Since they brought out the 600, people have been expecting a smaller RT-enabled unit to come out any day (for more than two years now).
At this point, people have sort of accepted that they have to get the 600 if they want RT- and it is such a desirable feature people are ponying up the cash. So providing a mid level RT-enabled unit now makes less sense to me.
At the end of the day, I keep emphasizing on "to me" because I don't have all the market research data Canon does. So we will find out, I guess.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »

It's about what you can sell. Till the 600, Canon historically had high and mid level flashes co-existing, as did Nikon. Since they brought out the 600, people have been expecting a smaller RT-enabled unit to come out any day (for more than two years now).
At this point, people have sort of accepted that they have to get the 600 if they want RT- and it is such a desirable feature people are ponying up the cash. So providing a mid level RT-enabled unit now makes less sense to me.
At the end of the day, I keep emphasizing on "to me" because I don't have all the market research data Canon does. So we will find out, I guess.

We are all just guessing of course, but I think the reason Canon has not been in a hurry to put RT into the mid-tier models yet is because Nikon has not yet fielded an RT flash, so for the moment Canon has the field to itself.   If this rumor of an upcoming 430/440 with RT proves not true right now, then I think it is a matter of time.  At the latest, i think,once Nikon puts out an RT flash or two, we will probably see Canon put that feature in the 2nd tier units.

Come to think of it, that is a good question.  When WILL Nikon answer Canon with an RT flash?  And why has it not already done so?  There are already 3rd party RT flashes out, and there are a lot more coming up soon. If the 3rd parties can do it surely Nikon has the ability to do so.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2014, 12:30:12 AM »

I get what your saying, but, isn't it at all conceivable that part of canons strategy is to put the RT out there, give one option for a time, sell as many as you can to get people into the system. 

But also, why would they put any effort into rebranding a mid-level flash if it didn't have RT?  Just leave it as is.  If a new one is coming though, i highly doubt it won't be RT.  It will differentiate in the same way 430's differentiated from 580's (less power, slave only - the usual gimping).  I don't think it will hurt sales for 600's, same way 430's didn't kill 580's.  IMO - It just makes no sense to put any energy into designing a new flash to sit below the 600 without RT - unless they have a RT hotshoe adaptor on the way too...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2014, 12:43:59 AM »

I get what your saying, but, isn't it at all conceivable that part of canons strategy is to put the RT out there, give one option for a time, sell as many as you can to get people into the system. 

But also, why would they put any effort into rebranding a mid-level flash if it didn't have RT?  Just leave it as is.  If a new one is coming though, i highly doubt it won't be RT.  It will differentiate in the same way 430's differentiated from 580's (less power, slave only - the usual gimping).  I don't think it will hurt sales for 600's, same way 430's didn't kill 580's.  IMO - It just makes no sense to put any energy into designing a new flash to sit below the 600 without RT - unless they have a RT hotshoe adaptor on the way too...

Sure, it is possible. Maybe the 600 sales have finally plateau-d off, and Canon is finding new ways to bring in revenue.
However, I don't think there'd be an RT adapter.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2014, 08:17:49 AM »
We are all just guessing of course, but I think the reason Canon has not been in a hurry to put RT into the mid-tier models yet is because Nikon has not yet fielded an RT flash, so for the moment Canon has the field to itself.   If this rumor of an upcoming 430/440 with RT proves not true right now, then I think it is a matter of time.  At the latest, i think,once Nikon puts out an RT flash or two, we will probably see Canon put that feature in the 2nd tier units.

Come to think of it, that is a good question.  When WILL Nikon answer Canon with an RT flash?  And why has it not already done so?  There are already 3rd party RT flashes out, and there are a lot more coming up soon. If the 3rd parties can do it surely Nikon has the ability to do so.

Or Canon just misjudged how well the 600 would sell, and they didn't start working on the RT version of the 430 until after the 600 was already was in the field.  At 2 years and counting, it's feeling more like a product cycle than a tiered release.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
But also, why would they put any effort into rebranding a mid-level flash if it didn't have RT?  Just leave it as...

Why the MR-14EX II then?  Very minor changes, no RT master capability.

...unless they have a RT hotshoe adaptor on the way too...

I'd certainly love to integrate monolights into the RT system.  Not sure we'll ever see one, though.  If we do, it'll be after a 4x0EX-RT and it will be priced such that the RT receiver plus a cheap 3rd party flash will cost more than the 4x0-RT model.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »