October 24, 2014, 03:16:23 AM

Author Topic: Locking our bodies with a code like we do our phone... ramifications?  (Read 2847 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I was in a thread about someone going to Africa and the obligatory word of warning was given about theft of gear...

It occurred to me... what about locking or bodies with s code the way we do our phones.  Photographers need immediate access to their gear, so doing so each time it powers up isn't an option... but what about every 24 hours?  In the morning, enter the code and it won't require the code to be entered until the next twenty four hours...

If the body has wifi, you can back up the code to Canon interwebs and if you forget, you can have an email sent to your account.

Would this deter theft at all... certainly might deter resale value... to get the camera working again, a thief would have to connect it to the computer and re flash the firmware to the device... which might be too much work for a thief.

I guess they could sell it for parts.. Huh...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
I was in a thread about someone going to Africa and the obligatory word of warning was given about theft of gear...

It occurred to me... what about locking or bodies with s code the way we do our phones.  Photographers need immediate access to their gear, so doing so each time it powers up isn't an option... but what about every 24 hours?  In the morning, enter the code and it won't require the code to be entered until the next twenty four hours...

If the body has wifi, you can back up the code to Canon interwebs and if you forget, you can have an email sent to your account.

Would this deter theft at all... certainly might deter resale value... to get the camera working again, a thief would have to connect it to the computer and re flash the firmware to the device... which might be too much work for a thief.

It sounds like a Magic Lantern request ;D.  Personally I'd never use this - I find the minor delay between turning on my camera and shooting to be bad enough as is!

Skywise

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
It sounds like a Magic Lantern request ;D.  Personally I'd never use this - I find the minor delay between turning on my camera and shooting to be bad enough as is!

Just put a fingerprint scanner on the power switch like the iPhone!  I've NEVER had a problem with that!   ;D

Besisika

• EOS M2
  • 1DX, 5D III
    • View Profile

Just put a fingerprint scanner on the power switch like the iPhone!  I've NEVER had a problem with that!   ;D
for a 5K+ worth of gear I would, please bring it on.

jdramirez

• View Profile

for a 5K+ worth of gear I would, please bring it on.

Our lenses would be stolen and sold or traded for crack... and if someone really wants crack, they will steal our bodies too because they don't know any better...

I don't mind the delay... but it would be nice if the criminals were told in advance that the mkiii and the 1dx aren't worth stealing.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Two more things - would we get a discount on our insurance?  Also, I'd be all for a Kingston-style lock on the bodies, like they added to the series II supertelephotos. 

slclick

• Canon 7D MK II
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
"Mr. Badguy, here is my camera body..no, you don't want this big long white lens...it's an old worthless model" ;)
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

canon rumors FORUM

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
I'd prefer a tracking chip that indicates where the camera or lens is.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Canon could easily make a 'safetylock' where you literally bayonette the EF/EF-S mount/lens when you ship it/store it.

Do it the right way and you could make it easily known if a lens or body was stolen (if the buyer cares) -- once it gets well enough known, it would cut down on some kinds of theft.

I was going to make a 'safe gun' joke but that always gets people going :/

Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Having a PIN to enable each lens to a given body strikes me as feasible - no aperture/AF/IS without it.  The disable-after-24 hour thing is interesting also.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
Re: Locking our bodies with a code like we do our phone... ramifications?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 03:19:02 PM »

maybe a programmable joystick/button sequence....that way I can relive my youth and feel like I'm still playing mortal kombat.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »
Same here, but I decided not to post it - similar issues apply, but better to stay away from politics.  If I had kids, I'd definitely lock up my camera gear, too, though, given the way my niece and nephew play with my gear!

Skywise

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
Having a PIN to enable each lens to a given body strikes me as feasible - no aperture/AF/IS without it.  The disable-after-24 hour thing is interesting also.

Jim

I was thinking that too but what about those of use that have multiple bodies that use the lenses interchangeably on the shoot - You'd have to be able to pair a lens to X bodies and then "lock" it from being paired to any other camera.  Then, of course, there'd have to be someway to reset that when customers forget their PIN so I think that would all be pretty easily bypassable.

maybe a programmable joystick/button sequence....that way I can relive my youth and feel like I'm still playing mortal kombat.

up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-menu-play.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
Two more things - would we get a discount on our insurance?  Also, I'd be all for a Kingston-style lock on the bodies, like they added to the series II supertelephotos.
Speaking of insurance... I don't ever want my mkiii stolen... but if it were to happen... maybe right after the mkiv comes out...

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »
Same here, but I decided not to post it - similar issues apply, but better to stay away from politics.  If I had kids, I'd definitely lock up my camera gear, too, though, given the way my niece and nephew play with my gear!
I'm the jerk hanging $2k of gear around an 8-year-old's neck so he learns how to shoot with something that doesn't have little pictures on the dial.   ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »