November 23, 2014, 07:22:49 PM

Author Topic: Survey: Preferences on LCD displays on back of DSLR bodies  (Read 1977 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Survey: Preferences on LCD displays on back of DSLR bodies
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
If Canon is listening.......................  Touch screen is nice, but there has to be a way to turn it off and on without turning off the camera.  I

Apparently, someone heard you, because on my G1X MK II, I have set the "Display Off" function to the shortcut button by using the custom menu settings.  That turns it on/off with a button push.

I can also turn off/on the touch screen function in the settings. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »
One of the features that I like on the 60D is that I can reverse the articulating screen. I hate getting nose-prints on the screen and with the short eye relief on the consumer and semi-pro bodies, nose-to-screen contact is almost guaranteed.

EXACTLY. No screen protector, no screen button,it comes on when you flip it out.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
If Canon is listening.......................  Touch screen is nice, but there has to be a way to turn it off and on without turning off the camera.  I

Apparently, someone heard you, because on my G1X MK II, I have set the "Display Off" function to the shortcut button by using the custom menu settings.  That turns it on/off with a button push.

I can also turn off/on the touch screen function in the settings.

Great.  Now if Canon would only include such a function for the M via a firmware update.........  (I know, I'm dreaming). 
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »
61 responses, everyone, nice work!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s_thankyou.aspx?sm=Ws7JK%252bcabzvEcxXxJcXkq45j8D7iDKRGz0nakT9q9A0%253d

Thanks for the perspective.  We have a pretty healthy split between the four camps.  I know we 61 voices are not Canon's market (not remotely), but do you think there's merit in a 'skinny digital back' just for the LCD?

For those stuck with a style of LCD they do not prefer, would you pay a typical Canon markup price for an add-on like a grip or wireless speedlite transmitter (let's say $300) to have the option to dismount your current LCD 'module' for one with the functionality you prefer?  Let's presume is was quick-connect-like and could be changed out in a matter of seconds (like a lens).

Would you own more than one and change them out based on what you are shooting?

I'm not trying to start a Kickstarter here -- I'm just curious how much value people would see in fundamentally changing their camera body in this way.

- A

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »

For those stuck with a style of LCD they do not prefer, would you pay a typical Canon markup price for an add-on like a grip or wireless speedlite transmitter (let's say $300) to have the option to dismount your current LCD 'module' for one with the functionality you prefer?  Let's presume is was quick-connect-like and could be changed out in a matter of seconds (like a lens).

Never say never, but I doubt I would.  Far better for Canon to put an articulating touch screen on all cameras and then let folks articulate and/or touch if they want to or leave face out and not touch if they don't.

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »

Never say never, but I doubt I would.  Far better for Canon to put an articulating touch screen on all cameras and then let folks articulate and/or touch if they want to or leave face out and not touch if they don't.

Sure, but see page 2 of the survey data.  Though leaving it unarticulated addresses some of the fears of robustness, a lot of non-articulating-screen folks might have a weather-sealing hangup if they did that.  Even if the screen is left in place, there still are moving bits and mechanism there that a solid (integral) display would not have.

- A

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »
I went for "articulating touchscreen".
I was going to say standard touchscreen at first, but if people don't want an articulating screen they can just flip it around and leave it that way (It also absolutely eliminates the possibility of light leaking into the body). At home I would probably use a tablet most of the time, but you never know when there's going to be odd shots you want to take away from home, and I can't imagine holding a phone and a camera being the best option when you're trying to take a picture in awkward positions.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »
If Canon is listening.......................  Touch screen is nice, but there has to be a way to turn it off and on without turning off the camera.  I am getting to like the touch screen on the M, but if you leave the camera on and the camera bounces around, all your settings have changed.

Did they use a resistive touchscreen or something?

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
If Canon is listening.......................  Touch screen is nice, but there has to be a way to turn it off and on without turning off the camera.  I am getting to like the touch screen on the M, but if you leave the camera on and the camera bounces around, all your settings have changed.

I don't know what type of touchscreen it is.  Or what kinds exist.  But, so far as I know, there is no way to turn it off on the M. So, if you have the M on and bouncing around as you move, some of the settings will change (and you of course don't know which ones).  So I have made it a habit of just turning the camera off between shots when I carry it, but would much prefer being able to leave it on, use the rudimentary controls to take quick shots and then be able to turn the touch on and off quickly to access other settings, etc.

On my cell phone, I use an app called Strava when biking.  It uses GPS, etc., to track your route and tell you things like miles traveled, altitude gained, etc.  (a nice, free app for those who like to keep track of where they have gone when hiking or biking).  Anyway, in a recent update, they added a feature that turns the touch screen off on the phone after the app starts accumulating data.  So, no inadvertent entries when you stick your phone in a pocket or whatever while biking.  An easy swipe when you are done restarts the touch screen and you are good to go.  Seems it wouldn't be hard to add to the M  (maybe Magic Lantern has done it already?)

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.......................................

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 04:59:09 PM »

I don't know what type of touchscreen it is.  Or what kinds exist.  But, so far as I know, there is no way to turn it off on the M. So, if you have the M on and bouncing around as you move, some of the settings will change (and you of course don't know which ones).  So I have made it a habit of just turning the camera off between shots when I carry it, but would much prefer being able to leave it on, use the rudimentary controls to take quick shots and then be able to turn the touch on and off quickly to access other settings, etc.

Resistive touchscreens respond to pressure.  Capacitive touchscreens respond to capacitance, which effectively means that you have to touch them with a finger (or something substantially similar) or else they won't detect the touch.  Modern, multi-touch displays are all capacitive.  I'm surprised anybody still uses resistive touchscreens these days.

al2

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 05:36:49 PM »
For me the problem is the way Canon implements the articulating rear LCD.  It allows a great deal of movement, but at a cost of all the buttons on the left side.  I personally would rather have the extra buttons.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
61 responses, everyone, nice work!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s_thankyou.aspx?sm=Ws7JK%252bcabzvEcxXxJcXkq45j8D7iDKRGz0nakT9q9A0%253d

Thanks for the perspective.  We have a pretty healthy split between the four camps.  I know we 61 voices are not Canon's market (not remotely), but do you think there's merit in a 'skinny digital back' just for the LCD?

I'm not trying to start a Kickstarter here -- I'm just curious how much value people would see in fundamentally changing their camera body in this way.

- A

I would say there is much more merit to a wired or wireless LCD that can tilt/swivel and offers touch controls, is inexpensive, and can be connected either by hotshoe or has a 1/4-20 female hole.
When I have tried to use live view without a tripod, the awkward positioning of the camera makes it difficult to maintain stability. Additionally, using touch interface means holding it with one hand. It's okay to navigate through menus, but can you imagine holding a semipro dSLR with a reasonably heavy lens away from your face with one hand, and touching the screen to focus?
On the other hand, if it could be connected via a flash bracket sort of thing, so you could comfortably grip the camera and yet it stays in front of you, can be taken off if necessary- that would allow a lot of flexibility. And hey, we wouldn't even need to depend on Canon for that.

P.S. Before someone jumps in with "it's already been done"- note WIRED (to reduce lag), TOUCHSCREEN (mimics camera controls), and INEXPENSIVE (so mere mortals can afford it, not just moviemakers).
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »