October 25, 2014, 10:46:18 AM

Author Topic: Something with 50mm L lens that make it different  (Read 9354 times)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Something with 50mm L lens that make it different
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »
Long time lurker and first time poster, i registered just to chime in 2 cents-

I understand PDB's stance (a objective stance on things)- but there comes a point when 1+1 no longer equals 2; where having all the settings exactly right doesn't guarantee you an awesome shot.  A sharp, perfectly exposed one, yes. but breathtakingly beautify, no.  The more I shoot, the more I realize i'm good enough to bump up against the technical limits of my ability (and gear)- but unable to transcend my "technical" style.  Whenever I do happen to take a jaw-droppingly great shot, though, more often than not it's with the 50L.

for what it's worth, I saw Standard's photographs and immediately pegged the first one (the tabby) as a 50L shot.  Not all photographs are distinctive enough to distinguish lenses, but IMO that one is.  The last pic of the siamese cat has the same 'feel', but still noticeably different.

Not convinced. I agree with you about pulling some of our best images with the 50mm, but is it the L or is it the focal length and double gauze construction ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »

Act444

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
I'd like the chime in with a neutral stance.  I owned the 50L for over a year and also own the nifty fifty and the 50 f/1.4.  Love all 3 of them.  The 50L was brilliant from f/1.2 to f/2.8.  Absolutely brilliant.  After f/2.8 though, it was the worst of the 3 lenses.  In fact, at f/5.6, the 1.4 lens looked much better and was much sharper and if I were shooting stopped down I always went for the 1.4.  Now of course I go for the 24-70 f/2.8L II because I don't shoot wider than f/2.8 anymore.

Right...I was looking for a good 50mm lens, a good all-around 50mm lens. After an experience with Tamron I have decided to now stick to first-party (Canon) lenses, at least with my DSLRs. I'm still looking for that 50mm lens and haven't really found it yet.

I typically go for the best I can afford, and in this case the 50L was in my budget. But I tried it at the store and I just could not get a good shot with it. I had no problems with the 85L so I knew it wasn't the 1.2 that was holding me back, but the lens itself. Very frustrating lens to use...especially between 2.8 and 5.6 where it seemed to back-focus considerably. Then I tried the 1.4...much cheaper, decent where the 50 1.2 struggled...but mediocre below f2 (and I lamented its lack of sealing and fragile handling). Still wasn't convinced.

But after reading this discussion it kinda makes sense now. I consider myself to be more of the "technical" type of photographer - I like my shots sharp and well-exposed, at least that's what I go for...so I tend to pick lenses that make attaining that easier for me (the sharpness part, that is). If the 50 1.2 is indeed designed for more of an artistic flair (and I have seen some great shots from it), at the cost of some sharpness, that's probably why I hated it to begin with. The shots out of it were just a bit too soft for my liking, that's all. So, hopefully there'll be a 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4) IS on the way!

I compare that to the 85 which is sharp even at 1.2 (wow!) Plus its images have "that look" to boot...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:02:13 PM by Act444 »

candc

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
I know the 50l has some spherical aberration built in to its design that gives a certain look that most lenses won't  under specific conditions. Nikon makes a 135 DC that has a control ring for that.

Now you got me going. All this controversy makes me want one now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:26:29 PM by candc »

CANONisOK

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2014, 12:06:08 AM »
To answer the question more seriously: I've owned all 3 of the current Canon 50mm lenses. The f/1.8 was great for the price. I liked the f/1.4 quite a bit more than the nifty fifty. The f/1.2 produced the pictures I liked the best. So, that's the one I kept.

I sincerely hope that meets with everyone's approval... I'd hate to be judged harshly for spending my money in such a foolish manner.  ;)

5D mark 3: R14/2.8, 24mm f/2.8 IS, 35mm f/2 IS, 50 1.2L, 100L macro, 85L, 135L, 300mm f/2.8 ii. 8-15L Fisheye, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L IS II, TAM 150-600mm,  2x600ex-rt
EOS M: 18-55mm, 22mm
SL1: 10-18mm IS, 18-55mm IS

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2014, 12:38:43 AM »
To answer the question more seriously: I've owned all 3 of the current Canon 50mm lenses. The f/1.8 was great for the price. I liked the f/1.4 quite a bit more than the nifty fifty. The f/1.2 produced the pictures I liked the best. So, that's the one I kept.

I sincerely hope that meets with everyone's approval... I'd hate to be judged harshly for spending my money in such a foolish manner.  ;)

I'd hate to be judged at all for spending my money ;)
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2014, 01:00:06 AM »
I'll have a stab at PBD's challenge seeing as no one else will, but only two. I think the picture of the girl has a Sigma signature, and the picture of the dog is a blurry mess so I presume it is meant to look as if it was shot at f1.2. In truth I cannot tell the difference between the EF 50 1.2 and the 1.4 unless you shot the same subject at f1.4 - 1.6 and then compared the central image sharpness.

Hey there Sporgon, thanks for trying. Both wrong.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:52 AM »
Your insistence, that because we can't tell what lens made each photo, we don't really need the 50L, is what is hard to understand.

Tom, I have never said that, I have repeatedly said there are several good reasons to buy the 1.2 over any other 50, what I have stuck to is the fact that not one person has correctly picked a 50 f1.2 image out of a gallery of 50mm images, I think that speaks very loudly by itself.

By definition how could it give a unique look if not one person can correctly distinguish it?
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:52 AM »

eninja

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2014, 01:09:48 AM »
PBD

how about, you show us group of images, shot from different lens (50L and others), then we choose which group of photos belongs to which lens.

because we consider a few magical photos before we say that the photo came out unique not just consider one photo. And no post processing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:11:50 AM by eninja »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »
On the computer monitor you only know what you are being shown if you use an external meter (and that is subjective)

Are you saying there is reason to doubt the colour calibration tools commonly available? Otherwise I've already covered the topics you describe.

Yes and no, different calibration tools will return different absolute values, but the point is not as esoteric as that. If the flower was in sunlight it was being illuminated by anything between 2,500K-8,000K, if it was strobe lit it will be around 5,500K, most people calibrate their screens to 6,500K, the screen will have a different colour to the flower under both flash and most times of the day.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2014, 01:12:51 AM »
Two words: weather sealing:P

A very good and patently justifiable reason to get the 1.2L

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2014, 01:19:35 AM »

My approval means nothing, even if you wanted it which you clearly don't, and I doubt if you are a fool :-)

The 1.2L does several things better than any other 50, my only grip is with people who profess a "unique look" but can't actually identify it.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:46 AM »
PBD

how about, you show us group of images, shot from different lens (50L and others), then we choose which group of photos belongs to which lens.

because we consider a few magical photos before we say that the photo came out unique not just consider one photo. And no post processing.

How about you do? I made the discussion, I gave the demo that nobody, not one single person, has got close to right. 28 images, thousands of looks and one person got one right. Probability gets you 33% right, that means a blind person could have done a considerably better job of picking out the "unique look" than all you aficionados have so far.

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2014, 02:33:58 AM »
On the computer monitor you only know what you are being shown if you use an external meter (and that is subjective)

Are you saying there is reason to doubt the colour calibration tools commonly available? Otherwise I've already covered the topics you describe.

Yes and no, different calibration tools will return different absolute values, but the point is not as esoteric as that. If the flower was in sunlight it was being illuminated by anything between 2,500K-8,000K, if it was strobe lit it will be around 5,500K, most people calibrate their screens to 6,500K, the screen will have a different colour to the flower under both flash and most times of the day.

So your point is that the colour of an object will change depending on circumstances. This has nothing to do with the objectivity of colour (whatever colour you see at any given moment can be measured).
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2014, 02:33:58 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:23 AM »

So your point is that the colour of an object will change depending on circumstances. This has nothing to do with the objectivity of colour (whatever colour you see at any given moment can be measured).

You seem to be missing the point, if the screen isn't calibrated to the same colour as the original subjects illuminant then the colours can't match, and nobody changes screen profiles for every image. Yes you can measure the flowers reflectance value, and yes you can measure the screens illuminant value, but even if you make a custom camera profile for that shot and adjust your image until one shade is the same, if your screen is not calibrated to the original subjects illumination, then the other shades will not be the same.

This is where rendering intent becomes so important.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2014, 02:59:10 AM »
I'll have a stab at PBD's challenge seeing as no one else will, but only two. I think the picture of the girl has a Sigma signature, and the picture of the dog is a blurry mess so I presume it is meant to look as if it was shot at f1.2. In truth I cannot tell the difference between the EF 50 1.2 and the 1.4 unless you shot the same subject at f1.4 - 1.6 and then compared the central image sharpness.

Hey there Sporgon, thanks for trying. Both wrong.

;D

Not surprised !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2014, 02:59:10 AM »