September 23, 2014, 08:25:30 PM

Author Topic: Something with 50mm L lens that make it different  (Read 8850 times)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Something with 50mm L lens that make it different
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2014, 03:27:00 AM »
I'll take a shot at that 50mm challenge but it sure has a lot like pickin' fly-specs out of a pepper pile.

My best guesses using very limited clues in the images:

Canon 50/1.4 shots:  girl in hallway, dog, doll with book, girl bottom left
Canon 50/1.2 L shots:  leaf in centre, B&W whisk, blonde girl in dry grass, girl bottom right

unspecified shots, like the closeups in the upper and middle R side or top left could be 50/1.2 L or anything really.

EDIT:  forgot to add, that's from the untitled 2 tile.

the untitled 1 tile only the girl on the escalator strikes me as likely a 50/1.4 lens shot, maybe the one below it as well.
 all the others don't show enough info to differentiate much so I'll just guess:

50/1.2; barley field, horse muzzle, guitar, kid 2nd from top on right,
50/1.4; roses, girl w umbrella top left, possibly the others not stated above.

score me, PBD. :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:54:50 AM by Aglet »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2014, 03:27:00 AM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2014, 03:33:25 AM »
I'll take a shot at that 50mm challenge but it sure has a lot like pickin' fly-specs out of a pepper pile.

My best guesses using very limited clues in the images:

Canon 50/1.4 shots:  girl in hallway, dog, doll with book, girl bottom left
Canon 50/1.2 L shots:  leaf in centre, B&W whisk, blonde girl in dry grass, girl bottom right

unspecified shots, like the closeups in the upper and middle R side or top left could be 50/1.2 L or anything really.

score me, PBD. :D

both the girls look the same, and neither look like 50L
the leaf is clearly photoshopped
IMO the whisk and the girl in the bottom with the blowing blossoms are 50L, and maybe the bottom right as well
but having never owned a 50L, even if I am right that is just by excluding those which don't seem likely
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

notapro

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2014, 03:42:44 AM »
I'll take a guess at one photo.  The plant (grass?) at far top right of the set, above the flower and to the right of the young woman in the pink dress.  The colors seem a bit muted, but this guess will be as good as any other I might make.

Is that one shot with the 50 1.2L?

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »
Aglet, sagittariansrock and notapro, thanks for your guesses.

I'll post the correct answers tomorrow.

Aglet:- out of your 14 guesses off the two sheets, 4 are correct.
sagittariansrock:- I am not certain which two girls you mean, sorry. The leaf is not a composite, if that is what you meant by photoshopped. If I score you on your two firm guesses it will tell anybody else what was used, but I will post the answers later.
notapro: Same as sagittariansrock, if I say yes or no to one image it tells anybody interested what that one is or isn't, so you'll have to wait a little longer.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

talicoa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »
PBD,
OK, One right wasn't good enough.  Here are some better answers where I actually downloaded the files and looked closer last night.  My hit ratio may go down, but my total correct should go up, because I made more guesses.
For a lot of these they are so manipulated in post it is pretty hard to tell the difference.  But as I have been saying, that isn't a valid reason, for a lot of people, why not to get the 50 1.2L.

Girl W/ Umbrella 50 1.2L
Leaves W/ Ants 50 1.8
Red Haired Young Person 50 1.4
Flower 50 1.2L
Tall Grass 50 1.4
Young Boy Smiling 50 1.4
Escalator Girl 50 1.2L
Horse Nose 50 1.8
Girl Looking up 50 1.2 but Looks like a tilt shift, odd plane of focus.
Woman looking at roof.  Manipulated in post or tilt shift.
Guitar Strings 50 1.4
Flower Petals 50 1.4

Images#2
Grass 50 1.2L
Girl in Mall 50mm 1.2L
Girl in front of lake 50mm 1.2L
Weeds 50mm 1.2L
Figurine reading book 50mm 1.2L
Maple Leaf 50mm 1.8
Orchid 50mm 1.8
Whisk 50mm 1.4
Girl with Spiky hair 50mm 1.8
Backlit girl 50mm 1.4
Small dog 50mm 1.4
Girl on mirror 50 Stopped down. Impossible to tell.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
talicoa,

Nice try, you did far and away the best and assuming you didn't cheat you beat the probability of guessing randomly by a few images.

You got 12 out of 24 :-) 50% right, 50% wrong.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

talicoa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »
PBD,
No, I didn't cheat, there is seriously no fun in cheating.  There were a few where I had really no idea and had to guess.  It will be interesting to see the results to see if what I got correct was based on what I thought, or if I got lucky.

You are very well mannered about all of this, I will give you that.  Even in the face of people getting upset with it.  You dodged my questions though about if you think you could see the differences in out of the camera images?

Tom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »
PBD,
No, I didn't cheat, there is seriously no fun in cheating.  There were a few where I had really no idea and had to guess.  It will be interesting to see the results to see if what I got correct was based on what I thought, or if I got lucky.

You are very well mannered about all of this, I will give you that.  Even in the face of people getting upset with it.  You dodged my questions though about if you think you could see the differences in out of the camera images?

Tom

I didn't intentionally dodge anything, just missed a few bits here and there.

The question of noticing differences out of camera is interesting, and obviously the backbone of my post in the other thread, which started this, was that we do so much post processing virtually all intrinsic lens characteristics are masked, and almost all of us do some post processing.

I was watching a Joel Grimes video the other day and he doesn't care what lens or even camera he uses, he will mix Pentax 645D and Canon 5D MkIII files shot with a variety of lenses for his composites, mostly the 24-70 f2.8 MkII always at f7.1 and the 24 TS-E with the Canon, and he is a sharpness freak. But he gets all the images to have the same colour and contrast characteristics. Whether we like it or not it is predominately our post handling of the captured images that makes the image, even a simple crop can change an f1.4 shot to an f1.2 shot!

Do I think I could tell the differences in ooc images? Like most of you, sometimes yes but most times no, I certainly profess no special powers! I found with the EF50 1.2L that there was a very narrow window of usability where it shone, and if you shoot predominantly in that window then the lens is very good. But a scalpel is no good if you are cutting bread, and most of us cut bread a lot more often than we perform operations, to most of us a scalpel is dead weight and of no practical use, however a good surgeon can perform most operations with a bread knife.

I know which images were shot with which lens, and I have slightly bigger copies of them, but even I, with a relatively keen eye and experience of all the lenses used and literally thousands of 50 f1.4 images, don't believe some of them.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »
But a scalpel is no good if you are cutting bread, and most of us cut bread a lot more often than we perform operations, to most of us a scalpel is dead weight and of no practical use, however a good surgeon can perform most operations with a bread knife.

Agree with the rest, but I don't believe a good surgeon (even the greatest surgeon) can perform even the most basic of operations with a bread knife, or even with a dull scalpel for that matter (I have to do surgeries for a living ;) ). There is something about the right tool for the job.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
But a scalpel is no good if you are cutting bread, and most of us cut bread a lot more often than we perform operations, to most of us a scalpel is dead weight and of no practical use, however a good surgeon can perform most operations with a bread knife.

Agree with the rest, but I don't believe a good surgeon (even the greatest surgeon) can perform even the most basic of operations with a bread knife, or even with a dull scalpel for that matter (I have to do surgeries for a living ;) ). There is something about the right tool for the job.

You haven't watched enough "The Walking Dead" :-) Or how about the various emergency tracheotomies done with a ball pen?

Cut me a bit of slack with my metaphor!

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »
You seem to be missing the point, if the screen isn't calibrated to the same colour as the original subjects illuminant then the colours can't match

We're talking about two different things.
I'm just saying that the computer can tell you what you are looking at in that moment, what flavour of light is coming out of the screen, which is what many people seem to debate. I'm not debating the accuracy of the image capture system.
-100% RAW-

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »
You seem to be missing the point, if the screen isn't calibrated to the same colour as the original subjects illuminant then the colours can't match

We're talking about two different things.
I'm just saying that the computer can tell you what you are looking at in that moment, what flavour of light is coming out of the screen, which is what many people seem to debate. I'm not debating the accuracy of the image capture system.

I don't think we are.

As a purely hypothetical point you are saying that one section of the flower reflects a specific wavelength of light, and that one screen pixel can emit that same single wavelength, here we agree, where we differ is you say the whole flower will look identical to the screen, I am saying it won't unless the screen is specifically calibrated to every image illuminant on the fly. One tone, hue, and saturation of the flower and screen might "match", but the rest won't, they will be shifted by the screen calibration, go to "correct" another pixel for tone, hue, and saturation and the first will shift.

In this hypothetical theoretical situation, the flower and screen can't possibly reflect and emit the same light wavelengths unless the screen calibration and spectral characteristics are exactly the same as the flowers illuminant spectral characteristics, for every single shot. That is not how it works. You might think that a colour picker registering 146,37,101 would be the same colour everywhere, but it isn't.

You cannot get around the screen calibration limitation, more specifically, you can't get around the difference between the screens spectral characteristics and the image illuminations spectral characteristics, in talking about accurate colours you can't ignore the inaccuracies and limitations of the image capture and reproduction systems.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »
So the answer.

Three lenses, all Canon 50's the 1.8, the 1.4 and the 1.2L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »

notapro

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2014, 01:17:38 AM »
Well, PBD, looks like it's possible for you to tell others that you've had at least one person identify without error when a 50L 1.2 was used . . . I picked just one image and it was a 1.2 shot.  Just call me Mr. 100%  :P

I'm sure glad I didn't pick the horse.  I would have hit 50% immediately, but the grass at the top left would have taken me back to 66.66%.  Your images made for a pleasant diversion, since it really was somewhat of a roll of the dice (for me, anyway) as to what I selected.  Glad I went with the grass and quit guessing right then and there   :D

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »
So the answer.

Three lenses, all Canon 50's the 1.8, the 1.4 and the 1.2L.
Hmm, could foreground/background distance relationship have more to do with shallow DOF than the aperture?  Or PP vs. native lens contrast?  I think so.  I think the only shot is obviously not to the f/1.4 or f/1.2 and that's the little figurine with the book because the bokeh looks less smooth.  Then again, poor use of contrast in post could make bokeh harsh, too.

Nice challenge - maybe you should start a new one in its own thread - battle of the 35L vs. f/2 IS vs. f/2.8 or maybe 70-200 f/2.8 (all versions) vs. 135 f/2?
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »