October 24, 2014, 02:24:47 PM

Author Topic: Sigma to Enter the World of Cinema Lenses?  (Read 1331 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Sigma to Enter the World of Cinema Lenses?
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:10:55 PM »

Is Sigma getting ready to enter the world of professional cinema lenses? It seems like a logical next step for the manufacturer, as they have become quite aggressive in the higher end DSLR space. While Sigma didn’t flat out say they were entering the market, they also didn’t deny it.

Sigma’s CEO Kazuto Yamaki left the following hint recently in an interview with Resource Magazine:

“How could one of the greatest innovators of lens technology in the world not be producing lenses for high-end digital video and motion picture cameras? With such high standards, cinematographers seem like a natural market for Sigma. When I asked Kazuto about this, he simply smiled and said the two words that make every tech writer crave more: “No comment.” It looks like Sigma may still has a few more tricks up their sleeve…”

Source: [RM] via [SR]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Sigma to Enter the World of Cinema Lenses?
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:10:55 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma to Enter the World of Cinema Lenses?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:36:56 PM »
I suspect that its pretty attractive for lens makers to put a cinema tag on a existing lens, and change the housing to allow for a focus puller.  Then, they double or triple the price.  Its kinda like money growing on trees.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »
Plus they wont have any negative reviews on a new lens with no AF!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

dash2k8

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:43 PM »
With the fantastic job they've done with their recent lenses, they could definitely storm the cinema lens market and  potentially lower prices for all of us. No longer will big brands have a monopoly in which they can charge a fortune for good glass. Sigma has proven that minor compromises can be made to drastically reduce cost. With cine lenses being manual focus, we will not hear complaints about bad focus, and that's basically the only major flaw of Sigma glass at this point. Looking forward to this.

lexptr

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
Well if it will not impact their regular lenses update schedule – I don't mind. But I'm afraid it will. Just wish all their lenses to be renewed to Sigma's latest amazing quality level! :)
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM | Art, Sigma 1.4X Teleconverter EX APO DG, Canon Speedlite 430EX II.
My website: www.len-lex.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »