August 20, 2014, 03:08:25 AM

Author Topic: Help! I'm impatient!  (Read 4509 times)

aaronh

Help! I'm impatient!
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
I just started saving up for a 5D Mark 2. I've been getting really unhappy with the low-light performance of my 60D and then I tried someone's 5d2. I am ruined.

Lenses I currently have with my 60D are the 18-135mm kit lens, 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS (Mark 1).

Here's the problem... I won't be able to afford the new camera for a few months and I'm really impatient. What should I do in the meantime? Any ideas on how to squeeze a little more out of my current set-up?

canon rumors FORUM

Help! I'm impatient!
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Help! I'm impatient!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »
If you need more low-light performance, you can try out the Canon 35/1.4L or Samyang 35/1.4 (manual focus, 1/3 the price).
Either of them make great low-light "normal" lenses on APS-C for loosely-cropped, body, or half-body portraits, Then if/when you go Full Frame they're a really good landscape / group-portrait lens.

Or go a Canon EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 *non*-VC, and sell it with your 60D when you upgrade, at least with the canon you can get back maybe 80% of new-price (or buy it second-hand to begin with).
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Brad_Randmark

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
I know the feeling.  Once you see the limitations of a piece of equipment, that flaw starts to eat away at your mind.   Don't let that get in your head - go take pictures.  I assure you that there are gear geeks with a 5D Mark II in their bag who are lamenting that they have severe ISO limitations now that they read the specs of the 1D X.  No need to name names here on CR.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »
I just started saving up for a 5D Mark 2. I've been getting really unhappy with the low-light performance of my 60D and then I tried someone's 5d2. I am ruined.

Lenses I currently have with my 60D are the 18-135mm kit lens, 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS (Mark 1).

Here's the problem... I won't be able to afford the new camera for a few months and I'm really impatient. What should I do in the meantime? Any ideas on how to squeeze a little more out of my current set-up?

Sell the 60D, the kit lens. Use the money to buy a 5D Classic. Then look into upgrading your glass in the normal range focal lengths (a 50mm 1/4 or the samyang 35 would both be excellent choices)

briansquibb

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »

Sell the 60D, the kit lens. Use the money to buy a 5D Classic. Then look into upgrading your glass in the normal range focal lengths (a 50mm 1/4 or the samyang 35 would both be excellent choices)

I think the time has past for putting money in the 5D classic. Realistically you will only get 1 stop improvement over the 60D. Save your money until you can get a second user 5DII - will be cheaper in the long term

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »
The Canon 60D is what I sold to help fund my 5D mk ll purchase. No regrets, even though I do miss the screen of the 60D in those difficult situations. I had a very similar setup as you, so what I did was sell everything but my 50mm f/1.4. The 5D mk ll really feels better with L glass in my opinion, and once you play around with glass of that quality it is difficult to go back. Personally, I would keep the lens you use most often and sell the rest. Buy your 5D mk ll, practice with that body and your one lens for awhile, and then make an investment into L glass.
Happy shooting!

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17:14 AM »
There will always be a better camera available.  What happens when you get you 5d, and you meet someone with a 1DX?  How about a Lieca S2?   The photographer shooting next to you may have it.

Deal with it. 

Outshoot the guy with a better camera.  Learn more than him, practice more than him, know your cameras controls better than him, move to better shooting positions than him. Show his girlfriend your better photos!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17:14 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 01:02:35 AM »
There will always be a better camera available.  What happens when you get you 5d, and you meet someone with a 1DX?  How about a Lieca S2?   The photographer shooting next to you may have it.
I pity the guy with a Phasemiya IQ180 feeling inadequate next to a guy with a 6x9" scanning back...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 01:51:01 AM »
I've been getting really unhappy with the low-light performance of my 60D and then I tried someone's 5d2. I am ruined.

Get a grip! (not a battery grip...) The 5DII may offer marginally better low light performance than your 60D, but the difference isn't radical.

You have got a very good camera. Unless it's making money for you, it's an expensive purchase. It was a good choice. Love your 60D.   

Understand its strengths & weaknesses and get on with taking great photos. Your 60D is still a better camera in most respects than anyone on the planet had just a few years ago.

Paul Wright

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 02:25:59 AM »
I've been getting really unhappy with the low-light performance of my 60D and then I tried someone's 5d2. I am ruined.

Get a grip! (not a battery grip...) The 5DII may offer marginally better low light performance than your 60D, but the difference isn't radical.

You have got a very good camera. Unless it's making money for you, it's an expensive purchase. It was a good choice. Love your 60D.   

Understand its strengths & weaknesses and get on with taking great photos. Your 60D is still a better camera in most respects than anyone on the planet had just a few years ago.

Paul Wright

Exactly what he said!!! Moreover, when you get the 5dII you'll be missing the autofocus and the reach of your lenses. What are you trying to get pictures of, anyway? Likely, your problem really is poor technique, way unrealistic expectations, and perhaps a but your slow glass. Use what you have, be thankful for it, and maybe get a sigma 30 1.4 and a 85 1.8. Those will help you a lot.

I use a 7D, same low light performance, and I have no problems. Careful noise reduction and sharpening practices help for ISO 6400. 3200 is not too bad... 1600 and better is amazing for nearly any uses! Really, 1600 does way better than my ISO 200 film sitting in my freezer...

But what is your low light performance issue? Slow AF? Too much noise? Are you viewing images at 100% and raging? Dig out a film camera, shoot some 1600 TMAX, and see the difference! (Not that there;s anything wrong with TMAX!!! ;D )
What is truth?

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 02:27:18 AM »

The 5DII is about 2 stops better on ISO.

The 60D has the better AF

The glass will probably be more expensive than the body

briansquibb

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 02:33:32 AM »

I use a 7D, same low light performance, and I have no problems. Careful noise reduction and sharpening practices help for ISO 6400. 3200 is not too bad... 1600 and better is amazing for nearly any uses! Really, 1600 does way better than my ISO 200 film sitting in my freezer...

You must be the only person that thinks the low light performance of the 7D is close to that of the 5DII. It is good - but about 1 stop slower. My 5DII is about the same at 3200 as my 7D is at 1600. AF on the 5DII is way better than the 7D in low light.

handsomerob

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 03:35:25 AM »
Outshoot the guy with a better camera.  Learn more than him, practice more than him, know your cameras controls better than him, move to better shooting positions than him. Show his girlfriend your better photos!

haha this is great advice :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 03:35:25 AM »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 03:47:52 AM »
The answer is simple.  Take control of the light using creative flash techniques and shoot at low ISOs (preferably 100 - 400).  This will help with noise and might allow you to use a faster shutter speed.  There are some really good wireless flash triggers available and off brand used flashes are also very cheap.  And these skills will be transferable to the 5Diii when you get one of those.  (I've heard that the 5Dii doesn't even have a flash - what a piece of junk!)

If flash isn't an option, consider a tripod (or some other way of bracing the camera).  You can use a lower ISO, but, if shooting action photos, a slow shutter speed probably isn't what you are looking for.

You could embrace the noise and turn a perceived weakness into a strength.  Have you tried converting to B & W and using a film grain simulator?  Sometimes, the results are great.

But ultimately, I wouldn't get too worried about it.  In a side by side comparison, a 5Dii might be better, but in the real world, if you've got all the components to a successful photo working for you, few people will care what camera it is taken with.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

MartinvH

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 04:17:26 AM »
The best advice in your case is to buy a Canon Speedlite 430EX II or 580EX II.

Just a flash is what you need for the time being !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 04:17:26 AM »