September 23, 2014, 08:48:36 AM

Author Topic: how much should i expect to pay for T3i ?  (Read 2638 times)

theregoesjb

how much should i expect to pay for T3i ?
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
i keep eyeing the camera body for 660.00 on a couple sites but the more i look the around the more i realize that this price is significantly lower than a lot of others.
Is this likely a really good deal that may pass after the holidays?
Or could it be grey market?

I learned recently about photography equipment and the whole grey market thing and am now a little paranoid of buying one... but of course also want to pay the lowest legitimate price.

canon rumors FORUM

how much should i expect to pay for T3i ?
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »

handsomerob

Re: how much should i expect to pay for T3i ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
I learned recently about photography equipment and the whole grey market thing and am now a little paranoid of buying one... but of course also want to pay the lowest legitimate price.

If you are really 'scared', I would recommend buying it in a reputable store. Even if means paying slightly more for it. See it as paying for the peace of mind ;) You will also get better results with service after purchase, should something be wrong with your camera.

Btw, B&H lists it for $659,95 so that seems about right.

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »
If you have any questions in regards to a specific seller, I would suggest using Google to search for reviews of the seller. With Grey Market camera gear, I have seen some pretty interesting stuff. Such as a Canon 50mm f/1.4 that was lighter, and had a plastic that was no better than the 1.8 model or a standard kit lens. Be careful with dealers online, because if the price is "too good to be true" it probably is.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
Canon sells refurbs at their site for $719 with kit lens.    No one legitimate sells a new one this low.  It has nothing to do with grey market, you are getting scammed, plain and simple.  Grey market new camera kits will be well over the Canon refurb price as well.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_283207_-1

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:12:14 AM »
Canon sells refurbs at their site for $719 with kit lens.    No one legitimate sells a new one this low.  It has nothing to do with grey market, you are getting scammed, plain and simple.  Grey market new camera kits will be well over the Canon refurb price as well.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_283207_-1

i just bought one for my parents off ebay from a hong kong dealer i've previously used it was only $680 including kit lens and 16gb card
APS-H Fanboy

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 02:04:22 AM »
Or could it be grey market?  I learned recently about photography equipment and the whole grey market thing and am now a little paranoid of buying one... but of course also want to pay the lowest legitimate price.

It's been said; if it's too good to be true, it probably is...  I'm a cheapskate - I try to save every dollar.  But when you start trying to buy from small, internet shops; you might run into problems...

I have bought stuff that they SWORE was USA warranty and when it showed up it was gray market.  I think they hope you just won't fool with returning it.  I've had people try to sell me "better" batteries, lens caps, and other things that are already included in the box!

Go to Canon USA and find the item you're interested in.  Look at the "What's in the box" tab.  If Canon ships it as part of the kit, don't let someone talk you into paying extra for it.  Me, personally, I have NEVER felt cheated by B&H, Adorama, or Newegg...
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

theregoesjb

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »
Go to Canon USA and find the item you're interested in.  Look at the "What's in the box" tab.  If Canon ships it as part of the kit, don't let someone talk you into paying extra for it.

good call

I talked to a guy at a ritz camera who said they would price match anyone elses, even online. So if that goes for B&H then i would probably just do that

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
The heavy discount places can sometimes pay off, but more often do not.  It's a judgment call, and depends on how much you value your time.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
i've bought alot of gear off digital rev on ebay and never had a problem with any of it even if i did they are extremely helpfull and I'm sure they would make sure any problem got sorted out
APS-H Fanboy

mjbehnke

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »
As mentioned above, B&H is a very nice place to buy from. I have bought my last three DSLR's from them. The first 60D I bought came in and the built-in flash was not working all the time. I called after using the camera for about a week and they had me ship it back and I got a brand new unit overnight. Love those guys.

You really need to watch some of the "super low price" places on-line. I had a very good friend buy his 60D from one of those places and it was about 150 dollars less than mine. when he ordered it, they called him to confirm his order and started to let him know that he would need to buy a battery and a charger, as they are not included. You really need to stay with Adorama, B&H, and the others that support this site too.

That's MHO...
Gripped Canon 60D \ EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM \ EF 70-200 F4L IS USM \ 430ex II Speedlite \ Love for photography.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »