December 17, 2017, 08:37:01 AM

Author Topic: DXO uh-oh?  (Read 95998 times)

DominoDude

• EOS 5DS R
Re: DXO uh-oh?
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2014, 05:01:15 PM »
Почему вы ложью, видео точно показывает, почему датчик от Sony лучше, чем Canon.
И почему эти продажи передать все это время? Это не имеет ничего общего с измерениями ДХО, результаты и видео я имею в виду.
Yuriy, no offense but can you translate your native language in Google translation and then post it? Thanks!

I believe "Yuriy's" native language is actually Swedish.  For example, he might say:

Jag gillar att ta dåligt exponerade bilder av grillar, bodar och markiser.

Njae, Neuro, svenska är knappast Yuriys modersmål. Vi använder inte det kyrilliska alfabetet. Men vissa av oss är duktiga på att ta underexponerade foton. ;)

Transl.: Nah, Neuro, Swedish is hardly his native tongue. We don't use the Cyrillic alphabet. But some of us are good at taking underexposed photos.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2014, 05:01:15 PM »

sarangiman

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2014, 12:45:00 AM »
I really wonder why Canon doesn't bring eye control back. It certainly seems like fans of the EOS 3 ECF really want it. It would be interesting to have whatever it is your looking at in the VF be focused...that would just rock. I am guessing the system was expensive, at least that's what I'd read in the past...in a film camera, it was probably one of the most expensive things. However in a DSLR, it's just one more expensive thing to add to the mix...maybe it pushes cost over the edge.

As much as I love the idea, eye AF never worked well for me on my EOS 3, or any of the Canon camcorders I used to use back in the day. I'd probably fare better with contacts, though.

IMHO there's a simpler, better way to do it. Of all cameras, the Panasonic GH4 actually comes close to what I'm thinking- if you enable an option buried deep in the menus. It's not ideal, but it's a good start. With a little creativity, one could iterate on it or something similar to design a UI for AF point selection that'd be significantly faster & easier to use than a D-pad, or a joystick, or the cumbersome 4-way controllers on most mirrorless ILCs.

jrista

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2014, 02:46:15 AM »
I really wonder why Canon doesn't bring eye control back. It certainly seems like fans of the EOS 3 ECF really want it. It would be interesting to have whatever it is your looking at in the VF be focused...that would just rock. I am guessing the system was expensive, at least that's what I'd read in the past...in a film camera, it was probably one of the most expensive things. However in a DSLR, it's just one more expensive thing to add to the mix...maybe it pushes cost over the edge.

As much as I love the idea, eye AF never worked well for me on my EOS 3, or any of the Canon camcorders I used to use back in the day. I'd probably fare better with contacts, though.

IMHO there's a simpler, better way to do it. Of all cameras, the Panasonic GH4 actually comes close to what I'm thinking- if you enable an option buried deep in the menus. It's not ideal, but it's a good start. With a little creativity, one could iterate on it or something similar to design a UI for AF point selection that'd be significantly faster & easier to use than a D-pad, or a joystick, or the cumbersome 4-way controllers on most mirrorless ILCs.

I currently don't have any problems whatsoever selecting the AF point with the joystick. I can move it around without ever taking my eye from the viewfinder. The toughest part is hitting that little M.fn button next to the primary dial...there is probably a more accessible place for that button. But once it's pressed, actually selecting the AF point is not difficult at all.

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2014, 02:56:21 AM »
The toughest part is hitting that little M.fn button next to the primary dial...there is probably a more accessible place for that button. But once it's pressed, actually selecting the AF point is not difficult at all.
I use the top right button at the back
More equipment than skills, but everything is used :)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/eldarhauge/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eldarhaugephotography

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
One of the nicest FW upgrades Canon did to the 1Ds MkIII enabled the joystick to adjust AF point without pressing any other button first, I really like that feature.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
One of the nicest FW upgrades Canon did to the 1Ds MkIII enabled the joystick to adjust AF point without pressing any other button first, I really like that feature.

The 5DIII does something similar. I don't know if I enabled it somehow, or if it's part of the current firmware. If you press the shutter button halfway to engage the AF, then use the joystick, it moves the focus points without pressing any other buttons.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

3kramd5

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
The toughest part is hitting that little M.fn button next to the primary dial...there is probably a more accessible place for that button. But once it's pressed, actually selecting the AF point is not difficult at all.
I use the top right button at the back

I center-press the joystick to return the AF point selection to the center. Doing that unlocks it. Thumb is already there, just press it and then toggle the joystick.
Some Canon, some Nikon, some Sony, some Olympus

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »

I thought all the joystick cameras could always be set up this way  :-[

Certainly the 5D could so I'm sure the 5DIII can surely.

By the way the 6D can't. Someone forgot to fit a joystick to mine :(

privatebydesign

« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
On the 1Ds MkIII that feature came with FW 1.1.2 in April 2008. Don't know about any other bodies.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Keith_Reeder

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
I thought all the joystick cameras could always be set up this way  :-[

7D and 70D certainly can - although the 70D's option took some digging out.

sarangiman

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
I currently don't have any problems whatsoever selecting the AF point with the joystick. I can move it around without ever taking my eye from the viewfinder. The toughest part is hitting that little M.fn button next to the primary dial...there is probably a more accessible place for that button. But once it's pressed, actually selecting the AF point is not difficult at all.

Wow, you don't have the camera set up to automatically move the AF point when you engage the joystick (as scyrene points out)? I'm no longer surprised you don't have a problem with how slow the joystick itself is... When I shoot professionally (weddings) using the joystick, I'm always cursing myself for missing a shot b/c I didn't move the AF point over fast enough. Making shooting kind of like a FPS video game. This is with wide-angle fast primes, where it's critical the correct focus point is used.

There should be a better UI. Nikon's 3D AF tracking and 1Dx's subject tracking are formidable options, but in my experience the 1Dx fails quite frequently at sticking to the subject, and both cameras start to fail in low light. And Nikon's lack of cross-type sensors becomes limiting for portrait-oriented shots (has trouble focusing on eyes). No system is perfect, really.

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »
boy if canon every scores high on DXO, so many people are going to eat crow when they suddenly praise their accuracy. fanboys. meh.

privatebydesign

« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »
boy if canon every scores high on DXO, so many people are going to eat crow when they suddenly praise their accuracy. fanboys. meh.

But is the specific criticism of DXO methodology incorrect?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »

But is the specific criticism of DXO methodology incorrect?

The criticisms will remain valid no matter who scores higher.  The problems are the bias inherent in the Scores, and their unwillingness to disclose their formulae and weightings. 

One could argue that I'm a Zeiss fan.  I believe their optics are good enough that I've spent millions of (research) dollars on Zeiss microscopes.  A Zeiss lens is DxO's top-scoring lens...and I still think their lens Scores are BS.

But some people (including some professional photographers who like to brag about now much money they make) enjoy breathing in the smell of DxO's BS, and then exhale that stench all over these forums.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »