November 22, 2014, 11:57:58 PM

Author Topic: Getting photos home from overseas  (Read 4155 times)

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Getting photos home from overseas
« on: July 26, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »
I have a plan coming together for a 50+ day trip to Europe.  Any real-world experience on getting 16GB across the pond daily in a reliable manner? 

My initial conditions are no wish to use an online storage medium and no wish to keep the only copies with me physically.  Also if I can leave my laptop at home and run on my Asus tablet so much the better; I intend to carry what I need rather than drag literal baggage all over.  Finally this is quite likely a once in a lifetime trip, two years worth of vacation time, etc etc so I won't complain about spending a little.

My plan is to write to both cards (in a 1Dx), save everything on a pair of TB-class external drives and then mail  USB sticks home separately more or less daily.  16GB thumbies appear to be affordable on the basis of one pair per day, and I can sell most of them when I get home anyway.

I'm all ears - the flight doesn't leave any time soon.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

Getting photos home from overseas
« on: July 26, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »

Stu_bert

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Getting photos home from overseas
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:45:03 AM »
if you want to avoid your laptop, you could consider a pair of hyperdrives for copying from your memory cards to the sata drives. I've not used the latest generation, but have used them where a laptop is not practical.

I'm not clear however on why you want to get the data home each day if you have 2 copies with you? Are you concerned over theft or something?

And is the use of cloud storage a no-no based on access to wifi during your trip or concerns over security?
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

Vossie

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 06:19:26 AM »
Seems like a very cumbersome approach. You seem to be very afraid of loosing files. Do you have a particular bad experience that you are this cautious?

If you plan to shoot 16 Gb per day, then anything that has to go though the internet is out of scope. WiFi in hotels its typically not capable of uploading that amount of data in 1 night.
5D3, 16-35LII, 24-70 2.8LII, 24-105L, 85LII, 70-200 2.8LII, 100L, 135L, 100-400L, 50 1.4, 40 2.8, Sigma 180 3.5 EX, 1.4x TC III, 600EX, 550EX

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »
I have a plan coming together for a 50+ day trip to Europe.  Any real-world experience on getting 16GB across the pond daily in a reliable manner? 

My initial conditions are no wish to use an online storage medium and no wish to keep the only copies with me physically.  Also if I can leave my laptop at home and run on my Asus tablet so much the better; I intend to carry what I need rather than drag literal baggage all over.  Finally this is quite likely a once in a lifetime trip, two years worth of vacation time, etc etc so I won't complain about spending a little.

My plan is to write to both cards (in a 1Dx), save everything on a pair of TB-class external drives and then mail  USB sticks home separately more or less daily.  16GB thumbies appear to be affordable on the basis of one pair per day, and I can sell most of them when I get home anyway.

I'm all ears - the flight doesn't leave any time soon.

Jim

Jim...sounds like a great trip, have fun!!  London was my favorite spot on a trip to Europe many years ago.

Your plan looks pretty good....but it might be more work than is needed?

As an alternative, I know you wrote that you weren't interested in cloud storage, but have you tried it?  It's so simple and inexpensive, and is such a great way to backup important photos.

I've been using Flickr and Zenfolio to share/backup my most treasured photos. (Thinking about signing up for crashplan)

If I was in your shoes, I would take time to look through my photos each day on my laptop to narrow (cull) the keepers down to my best 20-40 shots, and then upload just those to Zenfolio...done.

By the end of your trip, you'll have 1,500+ of your best photos stored to both your laptop and online, and all your photos stored on one ext HD.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos!

North

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:50:29 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »
Hi Jim.

Not saying bad things do not happen but I have travelled for last 15 years to many places: including Europe and other far more edgy places than any part of Europe.  I empty my cards at night to my laptop and back that folder on a portable HD.
I keep the HD in a different bag than the laptop and also at times in the hotel locker. 

On return, after transferring the data on to my Drobo system I delete the laptop and HD for further work.

God has been kind and I have not had a single problem. Of course I buy the best HD to back up the photos.

You could just send back a 1 TB portable HD back home via courier when (if) it gets full and get another 1 TB portable to finish the trip.

Good luck with your trip. I would not be so worried.

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »
Jim, have you already planned the trip? Where do you want to go?  Just curious... ;)

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »
+1 on Hyperdrives.
The Hyperdrive is equipped with battery for portable use and comes with different formats of memory card slots, of course, CF and SD formats.  And it can display the image (not in high resolution) being transferred, though, it slows down quite a bit, not to mention the battery is discharged faster.
Get a pair of Hyperdrive shells and purchase four 1tB reliable bare drives to fit in the shells (you'll need to bring the supplied screwdriver for the installation).  Write to both sets so you have duplicates.  When the first drives are full, use your 2nd HDDs to continue.  You have back ups that way, and storage space, too.
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:06:59 AM »
Hi Jim,

As others have said, it would be helpful to know a bit more about your trip.

That said, you mentioned mailing thumb drives on daily basis. Unless you will be staying in hotels that could take care of this for you, I'm concerned that you could use a lot of your valuable vacation time trying to find a post office and then standing in line waiting to mail your items. Even if you have some sort prepaid mailers you could drop somewhere, you still have to find the drop off places.

One of my questions I have is whether you really plan to shoot 16 GB of images each day. Even shooting RAW plus full  JPEG means over 400 images per day– at least that's what it comes out to on my Canon 6D. Your answer to this may help us better tailor a solution to your question.

Vivid

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:08:03 AM »
16 GB per day is ~700+ images shooting RAW on the 1D X.  If you are awake for 16 hrs per day, that's 960 minutes.  If you actually plan to average a picture every 82 seconds, I strongly recommend that you take some time to see the sights of Europe without your view being constrained by a viewfinder.   ;)

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
Unless you will be staying in hotels that could take care of this for you, I'm concerned that you could use a lot of your valuable vacation time trying to find a post office and then standing in line waiting to mail your items.
+1

I strongly recommend that you take some time to see the sights of Europe without your view being constrained by a viewfinder.   ;)
+1

Is this your first trip to Europe?  First trip overseas?  If so, I'd say don't do a 50-day trip, do a 14-day trip this year, and another one next year, etc.  It would be a shame to get 10-days into your trip and find that you don't really like being away from home that long, or that you misjudged your interests or stamina, etc.  Traveling well is a learned skill-set.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »
If so, I'd say don't do a 50-day trip, do a 14-day trip this year, and another one next year...

I dislike short trips, and to me 14 days is short.  Our international trips are generally a month or so.  Figure you lose a day (or more) on either end for travel, and if going to "Europe" or "East Africa" you lose up to a day traveling between locations.  That 14 day trip becomes more like a 9-10 day trip...like I said, short.  Obviously it's a personal choice, but IMO you miss a lot if your itinerary includes too many places.  When we went to East Africa for a month, subtracting a week of travel (16 hrs flying time each way, plus intercountry flights) gave us a week on Zanzibar, a week in northern Tanzania (Arusha/Serengeti/Ngorongoro/Olduvai), and a week in Rwanda.  That was about the minimum time to really appreciate each location, IMO.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 10:42:51 AM »
16 GB per day is ~700+ images shooting RAW on the 1D X.  If you are awake for 16 hrs per day, that's 960 minutes.  If you actually plan to average a picture every 82 seconds, I strongly recommend that you take some time to see the sights of Europe without your view being constrained by a viewfinder.   ;)

*shrugs*

That's also about what I average when I'm traveling, unless I'm either somewhere with little to see or I'm somewhere that I've been many times before.  It quite frequently involves periods of "Ooh, I'm at the top of [insert random building].  Let me take a thousand photos from this vantage point," interspersed with periods of much lower shooting density.

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »

+1. This is what I was trying to get at but more precise and better said.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
If so, I'd say don't do a 50-day trip, do a 14-day trip this year, and another one next year...

I dislike short trips, and to me 14 days is short.  Our international trips are generally a month or so.

If I had the time and money that's probably what I'd do for much the same reasons you mentioned.  On the other hand, there are people I know who start getting very homesick after 10 days.  That's why I wrote that if this was his first trip to Europe or first international trip he should consider making it shorter, and also why I say traveling well is a learned skill-set.  Each person travels differently, and each couple or group is a set of compromises and enhancements for the experience.  For any first time traveler, I suggest a shorter trip.  If it flew by too quickly, then go longer next time.

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »
If what you are shooting isn't moving, then one can certainly take many many shots of the same thing, but what is the result? A ton of shots to go through at the end. All of which probably look pretty much exactly the same. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean to you have to. I grew up in the film era when one took way fewer shots because the price of developing and printing film was so expensive. Also, my Honeywell Pentax SLR was fully manual except for a built in light meter, which also slowed things down. I take way more photos now since I've gone digital, but in many ways, I still approach a shot like I'm shooting with film. YMMV, but I'd rather have a few well composed and exposed shots of something and spend the rest of my time just experiencing and taking in the scene or interacting with the friends I'm with, etc. Of course, this all changes if what you are shooting is moving and it's your only opportunity to get the shot.

My point of the above is think about what you will likely be shooting and have an estimate of how many shots you will likely take. (I admit, this can be done more easily for some trips than others.) You may find that you will need far fewer cards and storage than your original post proposes. Also, keep in mind that electrical outlets in European hotels aren't as plentiful as they are in U.S. hotels and can sometimes be, from an American perspective, in odd locations. So, in addition to the various plug adapters you'll need to bring, I'd encourage you to bring some extension cords with multiple outlets into which you can plug all your various devices. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:25:36 AM by Vivid Color »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »